forum

Style in modding.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MikogIorTorfinn
How to choose your style of creating maps. To make it an unforgettable experience for osu players. It's just interesting to ask experienced people how they found their style in modding.
Thank you in advance!
©Mikogi
Zelzatter Zero
I think you've mistaken 'mapping' with 'modding'. Modding has its own definition and lays on different category.

About how to choose the style of creating maps, well, you don't.

The mapping style we have now are the result of referencing patterns from other maps and try to represent song the way you like. You can't just force yourself into mapping a style that you know it's not gonna end well.

So instead of trying to impress players through some certain styles, I'd rather suggest you to map with your own concept, with what you wanna aim for when making a map in order to both represent the song well and also makes it challenging and fun for players.

Ah, and don't be afraid to remap. That way you can find a better alternatives if you think the current one sucks.
TheKingHenry
while I mostly do agree with the above post, and recommending you to forge your own style, it's not exactly "don't choose a style"

If there's some style you personally like a lot, it's not uncommon (or bad) to start by trying to imitate the things you like about those styles in your mapping, and then later on, when you're more experienced, you can build your own spices on top of the style you like

in the end, it's whatever you wanna do with your mapping

but,

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

You can't just force yourself into mapping a style that you know it's not gonna end well.
this is pretty true anyways though
P_O
I never rly try to make maps with specific style. When i started i just tried to map a song i liked the way i'd like to play it myself. I have tried to keep that same attitude going and now that i know little more about mapping than back when i started i can see some general patterns that i like to use every now and then. Asking others opinions sometimes is also helpful since pair of fresh eyes can have rly great ideas you haven't figured out yourself yet.

And just as my personal opinion. Not every map needs to be that big masterpiece that is unforgettable for the majority of playerbase. As long as mapset is decently well mapped and satisfying challenge to play i feel it is enough. Music itself makes the map more memorable than some patterns that may look very cool. Of course in the best case you can combine both.
lewski
finn thread

Sort of same as P_O, I've always mainly mapped stuff I'd like to play. Playing all kinds of maps is a great way to find new fun stuff to put in your maps, so don't stop playing the game if you can enjoy it.

I both agree and disagree with the second point, though. I don't think there's a need to try to make anything super flashy, but I do consider memorability an important part of a good map. It doesn't take anything too special for a map to be memorable, though: if you care enough about song representation (and sort of know what you're doing, of course) the only thing that'll make your map bland is poor song choice. When you represent a song closely enough, any interesting parts of the song will also be interesting in the map.