forum

How to draw two dimension girls? Like anime characters.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
JackieW
I'm totally a beginner. I would like to know some basic steps to learn how to draw anime characters.
theowest
I think this guy would help you with that: https://www.youtube.com/user/markcrilley
Topic Starter
JackieW

theowest wrote:

I think this guy would help you with that: https://www.youtube.com/user/markcrilley
Wow~ Thank you for the link. I'll try it out. :)
Bweh
Mark Crilley's your guy.

Otherwise hit up some dA tutorials for additional info.

As a tip from me, try to draw the eyes later. You'll usually start off with some guidelines, such as draw a circle and then add some lines, then the jaw from there... The thing is, you ought to leave the eyes for last, even though it can be fun to draw them.

Eyes take time to draw. If it's positioned incorrectly or you got the shape/perspective of the head wrong, you won't be able to fix it. At least not without leaving a pretty obvious smudge and wasting precious time. Moreover, eyes are more of a detail than part of the character's actual structure. It's best you make sure everything is anatomically correct before adding any intricate details such as hair, eyes, lighting, and such. It's like building a house; no point in setting up windows and bringing in furniture if you're not sure whether the structure will hold or not. (And it'd be a huge pain if it didn't, considering how much adjusting you'd have to do)

This is as far as 2D characters, not just anime, are concerned.
Topic Starter
JackieW

Brian OA wrote:

Mark Crilley's your guy.

Otherwise hit up some dA tutorials for additional info.

As a tip from me, try to draw the eyes later. You'll usually start off with some guidelines, such as draw a circle and then add some lines, then the jaw from there... The thing is, you ought to leave the eyes for last, even though it can be fun to draw them.

Eyes take time to draw. If it's positioned incorrectly or you got the shape/perspective of the head wrong, you won't be able to fix it. At least not without leaving a pretty obvious smudge and wasting precious time. Moreover, eyes are more of a detail than part of the character's actual structure. It's best you make sure everything is anatomically correct before adding any intricate details such as hair, eyes, lighting, and such. It's like building a house; no point in setting up windows and bringing in furniture if you're not sure whether the structure will hold or not. (And it'd be a huge pain if it didn't, considering how much adjusting you'd have to do)

This is as far as 2D characters, not just anime, are concerned.
Thank you for your advice. I'll take it.
awp
if you're totally a beginner, then forget anime characters for now - focus on skeletons, anatomy, lighting, etc - all the basic stuff that's critical to drawing anything
Kitsunemimi

awp wrote:

if you're totally a beginner, then forget anime characters for now - focus on skeletons, anatomy, lighting, etc - all the basic stuff that's critical to drawing anything
I don't know about you, but I never did skeletons or anatomy or any of that before I started drawing stuff. I just kind of jumped into it and started practicing it a bit.

I mean, I definitely can't say I'm any good at drawing, but I honestly don't think that's a necessity for getting the hang of drawing anime characters.
Bweh

Kitsunemimi wrote:

awp wrote:

I don't know about you, but I never did skeletons or anatomy or any of that before I started drawing stuff. I just kind of jumped into it and started practicing it a bit.

I mean, I definitely can't say I'm any good at drawing, but I honestly don't think that's a necessity for getting the hang of drawing anime characters.
I have to agree with awp though. As boring as working on the basics is, it's essential if you want to draw well. I mean, even though I can draw an anime character while wearing a blindfold, I can't say the same about a lot of other things.

Plus I've had things like proportions messed up for a long time now, even though I've been drawing like a nut for years now.
boat

awp wrote:

This is true and I agree, but it doesn't necessarily apply if the goal is merely hurranime. There tends to be very little actually correct anatomy in anime/manga work, merely getting the basic hang of what a human (or in this case, anime "human") looks like is more than sufficient as you're over time to develop your own style of drawing characters, anatomically and proportion wise in the way you'd prefer it to be.

If you want to become good at drawing, then anatomy, values, composition and color theory are all crucial basics that everyone with the interest of becoming a good artist should throughoutly practice.

But, if your interest lies within manga/anime, just draw, browse for guidelines and references and keep drawing until you've at least somewhat got the hang of it. This question is a matter of what the goal is, since clearly there is a thousand ways to illustrate whatever it is you wish to. Define the goal and you'll get a clear answer.
Bweh
Also, do exercises before drawing

Like drawing squares with only one stroke.
boat

Brian OA wrote:

Also, do exercises before drawing

Like drawing squares with only one stroke.
Drawing squares with one stroke makes zero sense and I see no scenario in which it would benefit you.

There is no need for exercising before drawing, but in the cases where you don't got anything better to do it's always good to practice freehand circles, and most importantly, getting used to drawing lines with your arm rather than your wrist.
Bweh
Think of it like stretching before jogging. And it's not strictly squares, but circles, cubes, triangles--any basic shape.

Of course, it's not necessary but it helps.
Topic Starter
JackieW
Also I would like to know some other stuff, like what kind of pencil should I use, eraser, etc
theowest
inb4 art tutorial/guide topic.
Bweh

theowest wrote:

inb4 art tutorial/guide topic.

A title change may be in order

JackieW wrote:

Also I would like to know some other stuff, like what kind of pencil should I use, eraser, etc

Well, any pencil or eraser would work, really. Just make sure the pencil doesn't break apart every two strokes and that the eraser actually erases.

Though if you really want to get into it, I suggest you use a B or 2B pencil for sketching and linework, and use a 4B pencil for shading. Your average eraser should work just fine. If you plan to use a mechanical pencil (which I recommend for linework but not really shading) you can get the appropriate graphite at any art shop. If you want to use the regular pencil, make sure you have a good sharpener.

There a ton of other things you might consider getting depending on your artistic view/technique, though.
theowest
or how about just a new topic, created by someone dedicated who knows what he's talking about. Which will also be the center for all tutorial/guide/learning discussion.
Bweh

theowest wrote:

or how about just a new topic, created by someone dedicated who knows what he's talking about. Which will also be the center for all tutorial/guide/learning discussion.
So kind of like the "how to improve at osu" thread except we replace "osu" with "drawing." I guess I'd be up for that

Tomorrow
theowest

Brian OA wrote:

theowest wrote:

So kind of like the "how to improve at osu" thread except we replace "osu" with "drawing." I guess I'd be up for that

Tomorrow
looks like boat beat you to it. I guess you'll have to contribute to his topic now instead.
Bweh

theowest wrote:

looks like boat beat you to it. I guess you'll have to contribute to his topic now instead.
That's good--he actually did a better job than I would've.
JMC
I suck when drawing moe girl or loli anime ==
I started drawing when Dragon Ball popular in my country, and my drawing style inspired from Dragonball style = =
too difficult to change drawing stylel
Apex_old
I actually drew quite good art, even though the average time taken for a drawing is 2 hours.