forum

Wolf children Ame and Yuki

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri
Just watched the movie, it was amazing <3. I expected as much cause I really like "The girl who leaped through time" & "Summer wars"

I hear a lot of critic towards the film cause people had very high expectations, overall, I really enjoyed it and hope see more from these guys.

Your thoughts?
Shiro
The first time I heard of that, I had the need to watch it. I have yet to do so though. =( (I want to see people turn into wolves and be jealous)

If you know where I can watch it, PM me the link or something ;_;
neonat
Watched it last year around September in the cinemas. Loved it @@. I teared when she went looking for him and she found him dead. I always hoped until the end of the movie that he would suddenly miraculously appear again to her and the children. I was a little disappointed that Ame could leave his mother to live in the wild that easily. His expressions when he left her in the carpark and not saying anything or any hugging! Gah, it made me feel he was not grateful for all the hardships his mother went through. But yeh, awesome movie, with funny, sad, romantic scenes. I would love to watch it again, totally worth my 21 dollars seeing it on the big screen.

Don't wanna spoil those who want to see it first-hand yeh. :|
Aoriki
I really wanna watch the movie after I hear about it on some article. I hope it gets translated in sub (or dub)
Mogsy

Aoriki wrote:

I really wanna watch the movie after I hear about it on some article. I hope it gets translated in sub (or dub)
You're in luck, because it has been translated. Hell, the film's also been licensed for R1 distribution by FUNimation, who also put out Summer Wars. The film's making its way around several locations in the USA soon.

Speaking of which, I'm going to see a screening of this at MIT a week from today, where Mamoru Hosoda himself will be to do a Q&A after the showing. HELL YES.
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri

neonat wrote:

I was a little disappointed that Ame could leave his mother to live in the wild that easily. His expressions when he left her in the carpark and not saying anything or any hugging! Gah, it made me feel he was not grateful for all the hardships his mother went through.
I thought he did this to make it as short as possible for his mother, so its not too hard. The only thing I really would have loved would be if it would go further in their live spans. Like how Yuki grows up & if she gets children with this boy, also if she goes to the mountain to raise them. Same for Ame, does he come back sometimes to visit his mother?

Mogsworth wrote:

Speaking of which, I'm going to see a screening of this at MIT a week from today, where Mamoru Hosoda himself will be to do a Q&A after the showing. HELL YES.
You lucky son of a... women :c I'm so ridicules jealous right now /o/
neonat
Best animated work in the 36th Japanese Academy Award. :D
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri

neonat wrote:

Best animated work in the 36th Japanese Academy Award. :D
Totally deserves this, The "Snow chase scene" was amazing
Yuugo
It's surprisingly hard for me not to highlight the spoiler texts...

Good to hear it's been translated, might check this out.
Mogsy
Just got back from the screening at MIT.

Holy crap, this movie is powerful. It's easily Hosoda's most quiet film, but it showcases and appreciates the struggles of both being a child and being a parent, especially a single parent. I'm not going to spoil it, but this was a fantastic watch.

Side note, first off: I actually got to speak with Mamoru Hosoda during the meet-and-greet prior to the event (after a lecture about a book he helped collaborate on that explores the nature of anime in terms of economical and anthropological settings. It's neat). So, that was exciting.
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri

Mogsworth wrote:

Side note, first off: I actually got to speak with Mamoru Hosoda during the meet-and-greet prior to the event So, that was exciting.
I... I want that... I want that so bad...
I'm really exited to see his next work. I have no doubt there will be one :)
Shiro
Just watched the movie. It was good.

personal comments about it if anyone cares. Warning: contains spoilers
The beginning (like, the first hour), was really shallow. I hated all the characters: the perfect schoolmom, the perfect husband, the annoying little pink brat, and the blue weakling. The extremely cliche fallintheriverchangescompletelyafterwards was boring as shit. The change in both characters was horribly predictable, yet still entertaining.
I found the characters of the kids rather well done psychologically, actually, despite their shallow first appearance (the mom is boring). The focus isn't so much on that though, which is a shame, because there could be a lot to be said about this kind of secret and how they live it. We had a glance at that, but it should have been more developped. The movie has a lot of hidden messages and little things that make it easier to understand - and better. For instance, the little song (the charm to prevent the girl from turning into a wolf), the dress the mother sewed so the girl felt more comfortable in class, and that scarf the boy had always been wearing while he was accepting himself as a human, then drops at the end as a wolf when he decides to live in the forest (while his sister is still wearing the same dress, which has the exact opposite meaning).
The animation is mind-blowingly good, and the music is nice. If there was a lesson to remember from this (as usual in this kind of movies), I think it would be that one is free to choose their own path, regardless of their origins and secrets. To be honest the movie left me in a rather meditative state (though that's mostly the case when I watch anime and movies that are actually deep), but it's good. Definitely worth it, and a rather pleasant surprise, especially after the disappointing beginning.
California
just finished watching it
the scenery was amazing