forum

Have an option to to place notes in the editor without being bound to the measure lines.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +59
Topic Starter
Jadong
Hello, I think it would be a great idea to add an option in the editor where mania mappers can place their notes pretty much anywhere on the play field without having to use the measure lines. It would give mappers a lot more freedom and possibly let them be even more creative. :D

edit: this idea came from a program called notetool which is used to make o2jam charts
https://youtu.be/4MYNcTG2F1M?t=890

edit #2: If this idea is accepted then using this option will not allow maps to be ranked
abraker
While I agree and really want to see this happen, you will need a much better argument than "It would give mappers a lot more freedom and possibly let them be even more creative". This puts into question how unsnapped notes can be a good thing, and someone will need to explain that part in better detail.
clayton
i dont really get it, why would u want to not snap to music at all
Zelzatter Zero

clayton wrote:

since OP mentioned o2jam it's worth putting A Fool Moon Night gameplay as an example here, especially the first pattern at the start of the chorus.
Logan636

clayton wrote:

abraker wrote:

This puts into question how unsnapped notes can be a good thing, and someone will need to explain that part in better detail.
Almost every prominent osu!mania mapper who makes higher difficulty maps already make maps that don't snap their notes directly to sounds, just in different charting engines when making very unique snappings. Since osu!mania has a far higher NPS count than any other mode and most songs don't have 20+ sounds in a single second, mappers typically chart patterns of many notes in representation of sounds to emphasize them rather than just charting a single note to a single sound. Maybe you both already know this, but this clarifies why unsnapped notes are useful because they allow for more flexibility in these freeform patterning structures.

However, as a response to this request in specific, I don't think this is the way to solve the problem of making the o!m editor more useful for advanced mappers. I think that simply allowing for more snappings (something like all the way to 96ths or maybe even more?) would solve this specific issue just fine. As well, I think several other things such as adding a waveform in the editor for timing purposes needs to be done to make the osu!mania editor as useful as other charting engines anyways.
abraker

Logan636 wrote:

I think that simply allowing for more snappings (something like all the way to 96ths or maybe even more?) would solve this specific issue just fine.
Wouldn't doubling or quadrupling bpm be doing effectively the same?

Logan636 wrote:

As well, I think several other things such as adding a waveform in the editor for timing purposes needs to be done to make the osu!mania editor as useful as other charting engines anyways.
osu!lazer already has waveform in the editor

clayton
ic, in that case i agree higher snaps would be useful, no snap seems less intuitive cuz it wouldn't be rhythm at all (unless there's something else I'm not understanding)

abraker wrote:

Wouldn't doubling or quadrupling bpm be doing effectively the same?
ya, higher snap just makes it less annoying to do
Evening
i recommend implementing it such that holding down a certain key and placing/moving would just not snap it

e.g. alt + click or alt + drag will skip the snapping process.

--

The idea of unsnapped notes is niche, though it's common to do in mania for aesthetic purposes;
furthermore, on the implementation of waveforms, it's useful to get millisecond precision by snapping directly on the peaks.

While it may be more "right" to just add BPM pt. that syncs correctly, if it's a one-off thing, adding a free-snapped note will save more time, this doesn't just apply to mania.

--

Some softwares outside, such as FL Studio, Photoshop, Clip Studio, allow element nudging, alt + <arrow key> would nudge it in small amounts, might be useful to implement ms nudging alongside to get further precision instead of eyeballing and click/dragging notes