forum

Poll 17: Why do you map?

posted
Total Posts

Why do you map?

Because i want a Ranked map of a song i like.
31.06%
Because i want to get known.
4.97%
Because i want to challenge the top players.
3.73%
Because i want to express myself artistically.
23.60%
Other
36.65%
Total votes: 161
Polling ended
show more
D33d

Garven wrote:

D33d wrote:

I have to ask about the last point. How often do you cringe at your old stuff? As I still haven't ranked my first proper attempt, going back to it is going to be a huge cringe fest.
Sometimes it's a constant cringe. But you know what? I still have fond memories of making the difficulty and meeting/talking with all the people while trying to get it ranked, so I still enjoy it - ugliness and all.
I feel the same way. I'm probably going to keep 'Windowlicker' as it is, because it's nice to look back at where I was and also to retain what was the result of lots of questions and criticism. Of course, if I could bring myself to add Charles' timings to every difficulty, then I'd actually get the ball rolling posthaste. Maybe even push for a rank again.

That's probably another important reason for why I prefer to map, rather than play. It becomes more possible for me to share ideas and work with people and it puts me in a good position to help others quite thoroughly. I'm able to go through maps at my leisure and experiment with ideas, while also doing things which help my musicality. Learning to use a limited set of sounds with different patterns opens up a world of creative ideas and I love to map for that reason alone.
Haya
I have no ranked map, but I really love to map because of two points.
Firstly, I think that mapping is reaaaaally fun! Seeing the progress from the map is just so nice.
Secondly, I want to express myself artistically. Since I am a little perfectionist, I am mapping symmetrically like, all the time xD I try to make a map look good while (more or less) containing the flow.
Mercurial
I map because the game itself is really boring...

/thread
Kei
I would pick two of those available options on the poll, I had to pick one of these two but whatever. These are:

Because i want to express myself artistically aaaaaand because i want a Ranked map of a song i like.

I map because it's very fun for me, I mostly use mapping as a way to express myself artistically like I do when I draw stuff. I also map to give players more "options" of songs when they want something different to play (with this I'm reffering that I map songs that nobody ranked. I like to introduce new stuff into osu! for everyone). That's pretty much it.
Mismagius
I map because... well, usually when I listen to the song, I can 'see' the notes mapped to it

And when I see it can be a good map, I usually try mapping it

Sometimes it's just for fun and nothing else (e.g. big money, rainbow tylenol)
bmin11
I like watching replays of others playing my map, and that is why I map.

Though, I don't know why I star----- oh right, one of my older friend made me to.
NatsumeRin
Mapping is fun, and it become even better when you see people enjoying it.
Andrea

NatsumeRin wrote:

Mapping is fun, and it become even better when you see people enjoying it.
Pretty much.
SapphireGhost

BeatofIke wrote:

One day, I just decided to go to Youtube to watched random Touhou videos. Eventually, i ended up watching a fan-made touhou opening. I couldn't stop watching the video, because I love the video and the song so much XD. Therefore, I attempted to map this song (this time for ranking), since there was none at the time. About 2.5 months of hardship and 4 months of mapping experience, I finally managed to get my first map ranked!
I'm quite happy to have ranked this map, then. Good to hear it's appreciated.
BeatofIke

SapphireGhost wrote:

I'm quite happy to have ranked this map, then. Good to hear it's appreciated.
Thanks again SapphireGhost! I feel proud! :D
Frostmourne
I map because my English is poor. :o
So I started mapping to get to know how foreigners use English in reality. to study in the classes isn't enough at all :cry:

The fun parts of mapping in my opinion are about 3-4 things that I can conclude
1) get to know new friends , this helps me practice my English to communicate properly pretty much. lol
2) consult all about technical and subjective stuffs that people are inclined to do the same.
(All related about replying what fixes and non-fixes in my own maps/guest diffs)
3) map the song what I like, I can't map if I don't like the song in the first place. (I think almost everyone tends to think like this) :P
4) watch replay from test playing/score board to see how far people can go by using any additional mods.
I am fun to watch players play my maps. Even they like or hate, Just to see they play is enough for me. 8-)

so the purpose why I map is my English was bad, seems to make sense lol
Kirino Kousaka
I map because it is fun. Also picked the first choice. :3
Aqo
it has come to my understanding lately that the true reason I map is that I'm a sadist who enjoys watching others suffer
that is, play my maps
Snowy Dream
Both for fun and for ranked :3
I want to share the music with others, enjoy it together.
MoodyRPG

Blue Dragon wrote:

I map because... well, usually when I listen to the song, I can 'see' the notes mapped to it

You read my mind :3
Kuria

Blue Dragon wrote:

well, usually when I listen to the song, I can 'see' the notes mapped to it

yeah, this, probably the best reason why i'm mapping too lol
_Azusa_

Blue Dragon wrote:

Maybe this can explain one of my reasons why i'm mapping too.
theramdans

dkun wrote:

I map for the sake of mapping. I enjoy songs I map, and I enjoy the maps I make.

It's fun, and that's what matters. 8-) (I picked other)
dkun, high five \o/
WingSilent
When i think i was bad at mapping at the start..

Now i'm mapping real insane and cool maps, but i don't officially upload them until they're fully done.
Wich is better. :)

Getting ranked will be good, and getting known as a good mapper is a dream i will realize.
Espionage724
I try to map songs I like that aren't ranked, get so far, and then just give up after a while :/ Part of me also wants to become known for mapping lol.

Perhaps one of these days I'll actually finish a map.
ZeroEightOne
answer : Because I have nothing to do
Maiz94
Other : Making osu! to become more popular with famous songs playable on the game :D
FlyingKiwi
I should've came here early... It's exicting to map in first time, but it gets bored when you map too much. It gets exicting to map again when you haven't mapped for ages.
Kanade4Life
other:
I got nothing to do...
and no one mapping music/song I like, so I try to make them and failed 8-)
[Luxord]
I just want my favorite songs ranked, at least I try to do it. :)
Cygnus
i want to increase the difficulty one player can pass through making super hard maps.
Meatstick_old

Philippines wrote:

i want to increase the difficulty one player can pass through making super hard maps.
pfffffffffffffffffff
Ekaru
To troll people by making as many shitty maps of shitty Digimon songs as I could. :roll:
HeatKai
Because i want a Ranked map of a song i like and other.
Verlaren
I map -
  1. for fun
  2. i like music
  3. i like song
cheesiest
for shits and giggles why fucking else
Andrea
That wasn't really necessary, you know what I mean.
Mismagius
That was just a way of saying "for fun". There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
FlyingKiwi

Blue Dragon wrote:

That was just a way of saying "for fun". There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
Are you allowed to swear in forum?
Lancelot
I would say all these answer.
Tari
Mapping is a great way to remove stress
Sorarei
the reason why i'm mapping is to make people happy, well i don't have many experience about mapping. but i will try harder

i don't like to be popular just because mapping, i just want my creation will make people happy.

not aiming to be famous
not aiming for ranked maps

always be happy for mapping :D
VINXIS

CDFA wrote:

I map because I'm bored as shit.
lol
undo
Because i want to express myself artistically. And because i want to challenge people
A Tame Wolf
I don't map but I would like to start because i want people to enjoy what I create.
I would need help starting out.
Would anyone like to help me out?
show more