forum

I can't submit my map properly :< [confirmed] [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kirino Kousaka
I submitted this map yesterday, I tried to redl just to make things sure. I can't redl and it just goes to "failed". I tried again and again thinking that maybe it's just a download problem, but it really does not work. I tried to update my map a couple of times but it still has the problem.

My map's title is supposed to be "sweet&sweet holiday" but I changed it into "sweet sweet holiday", even the file names, because it may be the thing causing it to bug. But still, nothing happened. Others say that one of the .osu file names become "sweet? sweet holiday", so there's a bug on the name, particularly the character beside the first "sweet". Also here's something that I noticed (screenshot below). It's there since my first submission; wherein my map's title was still "sweet&sweet holiday", and still there when my map's name is changed into "sweet sweet holiday".

1. Submit Map
2. Problem happens

Uni
Ive played a bit around with .osu file and if you delete µ from it should fix i had this before with à and it got fixed
Froztic
try extract the osz zip and yeah, ? appeared on the .osu file name

i would suggest you to try rename the file.
Printemps - sweet sweet holiday (Kirino Kousaka) [Hard].osu
Printemps - sweet sweet holiday (Kirino Kousaka) [Normal].osu
hope this fix.

btw, the title seems fine to me

Ive played a bit around with .osu file and if you delete µ from it should fix i had this before with à and it got fixed
the files are fine with that character (mu) (since i can open it in game)
Correct me if i'm wrong
TheVileOne
It's whatever that character is in the file name. There is a large A with a symbol after it in the .osz name. It's causing the .osz to fail to import. I would make sure the folder name doesn't have any invalid characters in it when you try to submit. Find your folder and change whatever character is after the first sweet.
Sakura

TheVileOne wrote:

in the .osz name.
If it was a .osz name issue unraring it would be fine, it's somewhere inside the .osz that's causing the issue (or both)
TheVileOne
I think it's a problem with the folder having a character that is being changed when it imports. On some browsers it shows as a ?, others show it as a large A with something over it.

Just to be sure could you provide a direct puush of the .osu and a screenshot of what is inside the song folder for this map. I assume you can open it in the editor.

Edit: actually I'll just download the .osu from the forum.

Edit:

^I am not sure what these characters are, but they are most likely causing the failure. Open your .osu and delete those A characters. they might show as boxes.
Sakura

Well mine doesn't show any circunflex accented A on the .osz tho the .osu files inside do have the weird name, the thing is... i asked the mapper earlier in #modhelp and supposedly all the files on their beatmap folder as well as title in metadata are supposed to be fixed already.

I'm tempted to just delete the map and let them resubmit.
TheVileOne
We should at least figure out why it is happening. I'm curious to know why this unicode is breaking BSS and not allowing importation.

I extracted the .osz with 7 zip without any issue. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong other than those misformatted characters in the song artist and tags etc.

I removed the accented A from the song folder name and the song opens right up. I assume if the that character is removed from the .osz's filename it will import. Even if you change the song information in the difficulties, the folder name will not change. In order to have a fresh updated folder name, export as .osz, make sure to remove the weird character if it gets added back, and then drag it back in. This will duplicate your folder, so make sure to delete the version with numbers or remove it from the song folder.

If it doesn't submit after that point then it's a server side problem, not being able to open the .osz to replace it.
Sakura
I thought when you import an mp3 it creates a folder with the mp3 name and not a folder with numbers? afaik, the .osz name is based on the title/artist on the site (i think?)
Froztic
well, for me i have edit nothing in .osu (just .osu file name that rar fix for me) and i can open it in the game.

maybe just an extracting problem. i guess
Topic Starter
Kirino Kousaka
I don't understand... What should I do? :o
TheVileOne
1. export as .osz
2. Either remove the strange character from the .osz and then drag the .osz into the osu screen or use a program like 7Zip to open the .osz. Extract to folder. Drag folder into song folder, and remove strange character from folder name.
3. Make sure there are no strange characters in the artist and title of any of the difficulties.
4. Remove the folder with the numbers from your song folder. That is your submitted folder.
5. Try to submit. What happens?
Topic Starter
Kirino Kousaka

TheVileOne wrote:

1. export as .osz
2. Either remove the strange character from the .osz and then drag the .osz into the osu screen or use a program like 7Zip to open the .osz. Extract to folder. Drag folder into song folder, and remove strange character from folder name.
3. Make sure there are no strange characters in the artist and title of any of the difficulties.
4. Remove the folder with the numbers from your song folder. That is your submitted folder.
5. Try to submit. What happens?
What I did:
1. I exported the package on my desktop.
2. Dragged to winrar.
3. Renamed the .osu files from "sweet? sweet" to "sweet sweet".
4. Extracted everything on a new folder after renaming.
5. Deleted my original copy of the mapset from osu.
6. Dragged the new folder where I extracted the things, and changed the folder name into "Printemps - sweet sweet holiday".
7. Submit.
8. This appears: (I already tried submitting twice)

EDIT: I submitted for the third time and it updated successfully. The weird character on the tab is still there, and it's still corrupted.
TheVileOne
Wait for peppy.
Topic Starter
Kirino Kousaka

TheVileOne wrote:

Wait for peppy.
lol okay XD
peppy
Huh? osz files have never supported unicode characters. Please only use unicode characters in the unicode fields.
Topic Starter
Kirino Kousaka

peppy wrote:

Huh? osz files have never supported unicode characters. Please only use unicode characters in the unicode fields.
Sorry I don't know what that means XD What should I do? :o
TheVileOne
The problem seems to be that it let him submit a map with unicode characters in the beatmap name, but it wont let him update the map to remove the unicode characters.

BTW peppy could your server-side errors be more specific?
Sakura
the map was submitted not long ago and isn't even modded (at least when they first reported this issue in #modhelp), i think at this point it's probably faster to delete the one in the server and let them do a fresh submit without the weird characters in the title.
TheVileOne
I agree to that. But BSS shouldn't allow maps with unicode to submit to begin with and any attempt to submit with unicode should bring up a "Unicode characters are not allowed in .osz name" error message. Resolving the OP's issue will not prevent this from happening again. Feel free to resolve it though I have the .osz if peppy needs it to fix this.
MillhioreF

TheVileOne wrote:

and any attempt to submit with unicode should bring up a "Unicode characters are not allowed in .osz name" error message.
It used to do this with the old BSS, and I thought it still did. Maybe not...
TheVileOne
In a little bit I will try inserting a unicode character into one of my existing submitted maps. I'll report back the results.
peppy
osu! itself shouldn't allow unicode characters in the song setup panel.
Topic Starter
Kirino Kousaka

Sakura wrote:

the map was submitted not long ago and isn't even modded (at least when they first reported this issue in #modhelp), i think at this point it's probably faster to delete the one in the server and let them do a fresh submit without the weird characters in the title.
I think this is the solution :o
Winshley
I once encountered similar problem when trying to ZIP certain file. The problem is caused by having zero-width no-break space (which is a Unicode character) in the filename.

Currently, the character is hidden right after the first "sweet" word. This might be a bit tricky to remove, but if you scroll around the text with the text bar cursor, you'll be able to notice it.

To ensure that the title doesn't have the Unicode character, you might as well remove and re-type the song title down yourself instead of using copy-n-paste (which was my problem back then).
VoidnOwO

Winshley wrote:

I once encountered similar problem when trying to ZIP certain file. The problem is caused by having zero-width no-break space (which is a Unicode character) in the filename.

Currently, the character is hidden right after the first "sweet" word. This might be a bit tricky to remove, but if you scroll around the text with the text bar cursor, you'l
Phone? :P
Winshley

BRBP wrote:

Phone? :P
Yes, you ninja. :o

I'm having hard time editing my post fast because of that.
Topic Starter
Kirino Kousaka

Winshley wrote:

I don't get that "zero-width no-break space". Is it a type of text?
Currently, the character is hidden right after the first "sweet" word. This might be a bit tricky to remove, but if you scroll around the text with the text bar cursor, you'll be able to notice it.
Where should I scroll around?
To ensure that the title doesn't have the Unicode character, you might as well remove and re-type the song title down yourself instead of using copy-n-paste (which was my problem back then).
I'll try to, in every filename.
Thanks, I hope this works. >.<
EDIT: I'll try putting "sweet&sweet holiday" now since I'm renaming everything :D
EDIT2: HOLY SHI- /me smashes Winshley to the floor. \:D/ You genius. I owe you one. \:D/
Issue Resolved. :D
Winshley

Kirino Kousaka wrote:

I don't get that "zero-width no-break space". Is it a type of text?
Yes, and it's a hidden text because it has zero-width. It's like a regular "space", but without width.

Kirino Kousaka wrote:

Where should I scroll around?
It was supposed scroll around the middle of the phrase "sweet sweet", but I give you another method (remove and re-type method) instead just in case.

Kirino Kousaka wrote:

HOLY SHI- /me smashes Winshley to the floor. \:D/ You genius. I owe you one. \:D/
*nosebleed* You're welcome~ ;)

A better demonstration would be to try copy-n-pasting the text from this page into any text editor, use your keyboard to scroll around the text and you'll notice the difference.