forum

How about integrating torrent feature to osu?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +116
Topic Starter
onotoleonide
  1. You integrate any torrent library to osu (libtorrent, for example)
  2. Every time people uploading beatmaps there is torrent file included
  3. They can download beatmap by torrent (from osu or site) or by grabbing *.osz file from site
  4. Everyone seeding beatmaps while osu is running
  5. Updates will be performed faster
  6. No waiting for download beatmaps after downloading first two
  7. Less traffic for peppy's server too :)
Also you can make special links like "magnet:" ("om:", "osu:") instead torrent files.
xxbidiao
Double thumb up!

An ease to our download situation in china :o
M0useUser
Thumb up
peppy
It already is to an extent, but needs some prereqs before it can be made live. Keep a look out in the future :p.
theowest
I've always dreamt of this for osu!, I'm glad peppy agrees. :)
Arnold0
Yes but I see a little problem for some people:
If you are using a connexion with limited up/down bandwith for exemple 3G connexion with 3GByte fair use this would use your bandwith... This may append to me when I use my phone as modem for exemple. If this come alive I think an option to disable is needed for this kind of connexions.
Topic Starter
onotoleonide

Arnold0 wrote:

Yes but I see a little problem for some people:
If you are using a connexion with limited up/down bandwith for exemple 3G connexion with 3GByte fair use this would use your bandwith... This may append to me when I use my phone as modem for exemple. If this come alive I think an option to disable is needed for this kind of connexions.
How about integrating bandwidth test to osu or to osu's site?
Topic Starter
onotoleonide
bump
peppy

peppy wrote:

It already is to an extent, but needs some prereqs before it can be made live. Keep a look out in the future :p.
CPLs
an old thread with still same reply :o
Topic Starter
onotoleonide

GoldenWolf
Be patient, it'll happen somedays
lolcubes
Some people have ridiculously slow upload and taking even a little bit of it can cause disconnections. This feature might be good in the long run, but it should definitely have a toggle to get turned off because of those issues.
Luna
yeah, this would need to have an opt in/out option.
I'd gladly offer some of my bandwidth, but I know many people who definitely couldn't afford to.
Sea_Food

onotoleonide wrote:

1. Everyone seeding beatmaps while osu is running

onotoleonide wrote:

1. Everyone seeding beatmaps

onotoleonide wrote:

1. Everyone seeding

onotoleonide wrote:

• Everyone
Yeah how about no.

1. I dont want to sacrifice my bandwidth for that. Atm with osu direct it takes me like 4seconds to download a song. That is good enough.

2. What I will never do in my life is seed music files. Every year the gubberments around the world choose thousands of random people that seed music and fine them for each song. I do not want a two million euro fine just because osu! game. I would rather quit the game, than take the risk that when i log in that option is automaticly turned on and I am seeding before i get to turn it off. And i am sure many other people would aswell.
Marcin
You could as well disable this functionality, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a must to seed, otherwise it would be kinda stupid.
Topic Starter
onotoleonide

Marcin wrote:

You could as well disable this functionality, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a must to seed, otherwise it would be kinda stupid.
this
Oinari-sama

Marcin wrote:

I agree that a user should be able to opt out. There should also be a scheme to encourage seeding, eg higher bandwidth/quota allowance for seeders of a certain ratio (or even 1 month free supporter at milestones lol).
Abel
seed only when download and +1~5 mins
so if downloading a song for 1 mins, you seed it for 2~6 mins,
if downloading a song for 53 mins, you seed it for 54~58 mins, seems legit
Cirno-Chan_old

Sea_Food wrote:

Yeah how about no.

1. I dont want to sacrifice my bandwidth for that. Atm with osu direct it takes me like 4seconds to download a song. That is good enough.
Maybe Osu can test the full brandwith first and use only an half of it. [Sry for bad english ^^']
freakkater
for those who would appreciate the torrent-feature out of the game, there is a solution done by hiramia and me: t/147478
:arrow: Remember: More people to join this, higher bandwith you'll get!
Alarido
I hope this feature, if implemented, it has a toggle option (enable/disable) in the "Online" tab of the Options menu.

I can see here a little door to spread unsubmitted maps and (perhaps) Skrillex ranked ones, because some people hold some of them.
Topic Starter
onotoleonide
a
GoldenWolf

GoldenWolf wrote:

Be patient, it'll happen somedays
glukki
bump?