forum

New style cursor skinning

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
As of the next public release, I am allowing skinning cursors in a similar style to the new default cursor. You can trigger the new behaviour by adding cursormiddle.png to your skin. Keep in mind that when you do this, it will not only add a non-rotating middle element, but also change the way trails behave – they become additive and draw every update rather than at a consistent 60fps. This means that your cursor trail shouldn't exceed the size of the template below or it may affect performance (especially at higher frame limiters, since it will draw more as your fps increases). For best effect, have it hidden behind the cursormiddle element, as per the template.

cursor.png

cursormiddle.png

cursortrail.png

As always, you are free to use the template provided above and make modifications as you see fit.
Pokie
\:D/ Have been waiting this for a long time!
MieraK
Oh my god, this is so awesome. Can't wait for it to get to public release!
Jackyyy
Love this can't wait. <3
Looking forward to the unique new cursors in the future.
MLGnom
Sweet! Always wanted to use new cursor trail in one of my skins. :D
Winshley
So in the next update, what will happen if cursormiddle.png is not exist inside our custom skin folder? Will it disappear (as of current update) or using the default one?

I was thinking that the behavior should be changed to use the default one, because it's kinda buggy on current behavior (you won't see cursormiddle.png if you started osu! under customized skin and switching to default skin).
Topic Starter
peppy
The behaviour will not change for existing skins, of course. Also I fixed that bug you mentioned (and was the main reason I added skinning support for this; because it was easier to allow it after the fix than to deny it :P).
Winshley
Oh sweet then~ :)
Jenny
More skinning possibilities = big big big big yeah
deadbeat
oh, this explains a bit. i saw the update for this in the changelog and had no idea what it meant xD
pretty cool update :>
theowest
Finally! I've been waiting for this for a long time.
Damnae
This is so fun :p

theowest

Damnae wrote:

This is so fun :p

that's amazing
RBRat3
Time for some pink floyd action :P

Um, bug report...

Actually the cursor is made of 1×1 pixel cursor.png and default for everything else. In the older edition, the default cursortrail could help to locate the cursor, but in this edition, it's not gonna work.

So could u provide the older edition of cursortrail, and I'll put it into this skin folder? Thx :)
MLGnom
New cursor trail disappears if you stop moving it.
Just remove cursor middle if you want to activate old one version.

MLGnom wrote:

New cursor trail disappears if you stop moving it.
Just remove cursor middle if you want to activate old one version.
Seems like a good idea... but how did you find it?
teinecthel
Try making ~

Change color like trouble

Very hard for SKIN

Nah, never mind, it's fixed.
I just added a 1×1 pixel cursormiddle.png, and the cursor works as it did before.
primrose
I don't get cursor-middle.png is for :(
theowest

Awoken- wrote:

I don't get cursor-middle.png is for :(
extra layer of cursor goodness?
show more