forum

Billy Fogarty - Jumpin' Jack Flash

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chupalika
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Sunday, April 07, 2013 at 1:04:01 AM

Artist: Billy Fogarty
Title: Jumpin' Jack Flash
Source: Elite Beat Agents
BPM: 149
Filesize: 3915kb
Play Time: 03:19
Difficulties Available:
  1. Hard (4.6 stars, 362 notes)
  2. Insane (4.91 stars, 526 notes)
Download: Billy Fogarty - Jumpin' Jack Flash
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
I wanted to make my own map for this song, which is from elite beat agents, and here it is, it's super fun!
Slow-ru
Overall Difficulty: 7 or higher

There is nothing for modding here, lol
You need hard diff, I guess ("rank criteria").

btw, you need find more modders :D
Topic Starter
Chupalika
thanks! it's hard to find modders though ):
can I still give kudos for that?
Slow-ru

Chupalika wrote:

thanks! it's hard to find modders though ):
can I still give kudos for that?

http://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Kudosu
I think, better for now create a hard diff, and then, after I will mod it, you can give a kudos c:
In any case, it is at your discretion.

About modders: click
try to find them there
Topic Starter
Chupalika
oh yea the modding queues are always full ):
Slow-ru

Chupalika wrote:

oh yea the modding queues are always full ):
The winner is the one who is able to wait :D You just need to catch the moment.
Btw, you can ask your friends about modding, etc.
BusterBeachside
From my queue. :3

First of all, you need to have at least one normal/easy difficulty if you're hoping to get this ranked. SO if you want it ranked, you'll have to make one. :)
Also, if you need some more modders and the queues are always closed (I feel your pain, the whole reason I started my own, actually), you can try #modreqs in the in-game IRC chat. I've never tried it myself, but you can always put your request in there.

Now, to the actual modding~!

HARD:
00:40:501 (1) - You can't have this slider like this for a couple of reasons. 1: The player can't tell which way it's going to go when the start and end points are right there on top of each other. 2: The object just before it ended on that point, also. The score display from that note (300, 100, 50, X) is covering the slider's start and end point. It's almost impossible to judge which way you're supposed to go.
02:53:186 (3) - Same as above
The other two sliders I saw that were like this are fine since you can see the start/end points more clearly. But the above two are unfortunately no good. :(

Other than those two slider issues, it was a pretty fun map to play! I didn't see any unneeded new combos, all of the jumps are well within reason and it's generally easy to read. I could complain about this part: 00:56:206 (5,6,7,8), since it was a bit hard to read, but there's nothing really wrong with it. I've always been bad at reading those types of stacks. xD

INSANE:
Dang, those jumps killed me. This ain't an easy map, my friend! I could use this to practice said jumps, though. ;p
I couldn't see anything wrong with this map, it's pretty nice. I can't really say for sure since I had so much trouble just playing it, but I really think this is a great map! :3
EDIT: Forgot to mention, for an Insane difficulty, your combos are REALLY short. I guess the HP drain makes up for it, but it sort of came across as bad form a bit. Not a huge deal, but maybe make the combos a little bit longer, maybe reduce HP drain? Just a thought! :)

That's about it, I guess. I might be inclined to make an Easy/Normal difficulty for you, I happen to like this song! xD

Eh, no kudosu for this post unless you really found it helpful, please. I don't think I did a lot for the map. :3
Topic Starter
Chupalika
hii
lol I didn't realize I needed at least one easy/normal difficulty. Before I only had the insane, and then my friend told me I needed a hard for "ranking criteria"... If you really want to map a difficulty that would be great! :D

for hard, I'll fix the weird sliders by making them a bit bigger so the end points are visible
for insane, I think I'll also drop HP drain one point, cause sometimes I die too at the end... but that's the best part so I'm not changing that!
also the combos are made in a way that works for tag4 too, and if you didn't notice, I put in extra otherwise unnecessary timing sections so nightcore mod would sound right :)
BusterBeachside
Haha, IIRC, maps need at least two difficulties with at least one of them being Easy or Normal (So that newer players can actually play osu!, haha). In fact, the ranking criteria are right here on the osu! Wiki: http://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Ranking_Criteria

AH! NO! Don't change the ending! xD The map will be destroyed~~~

Ah~, thinking about Nightcore and color hax, huh (At least, I think that's what "tag4" means, I actually don't know D:)? Nice touch, I should try it with Nightcore to see how it sounds...
Topic Starter
Chupalika
lol tag4 is a play mode in multiplayer. I think it's called tag coop or something. Usually people say tag4 but really any number of people could play, 4 being the most ideal I guess. Players play one map at the same time, and they take turns hitting the notes. Each combo is one person's turn. This mode is unranked, but a lot of people like playing this mode for fun.
A lot of songs I played had combos that were hard to predict, and ones that were impossible to pass from one person to another in tag coop, like streams
oh yea what's "color hax"? LOL sounds haxy
Slow-ru

BusterBlazeFox wrote:

Haha, IIRC, maps need at least two difficulties with at least one of them being Easy or Normal (So that newer players can actually play osu!, haha)
:(

This post will be updated for mod, so, WIP. :)
BusterBeachside
Ooohhh, sounds like a fun multiplayer mode!

Color hax is where you edit the .osu file or something to make the combo colors different at a certain point during the song. A saw a map once that had all black and white hit objects, but during the chorus of the song you would sometimes see a red note, it was a nice touch. :D I'm not sure how it's done, though.
Topic Starter
Chupalika
oh yea that's not really hax, it's possible to do that using the map editor. The editor lets you set a certain combo's color to one you want it to be, as long as it's one of the four colors you chose for the map. I think there's like an arrow on the "new combo" button that pops out the colors menu.
Zero__wind
Hi :3 from my queue
General
If it's for rank, you need a Normal diff I suppose
Because you've just started to map, so I'm about to point out some fundamental advice instead of pointing out every precice error. Then you'll learn to improve your map by yourself.

Insane
Your volume is TOOOOOOOO LOUD all the way. Reduce it
A particular point: 00:52:583 (1) - remember to consider the volume when you spin spinners. Test them often.
00:36:274 (3,1) - Jumps are OK, or I should say it's jumps makes maps fun. But when you set jumps, you should have a reasonable point on it. Mostly, jumps are set at downbeats, sth. with finish or clap (though not always ) But at least I don't feel like to jump here.
01:18:958 (7,1) - ^ and many more
02:26:811 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - stuffs like this, or this 03:02:246 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - this 03:08:690 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - . It's Ok to use, but they should be at the point which they can fit the music best. If the music has a crecendo, then you may increase the notes' distance in between; If on the contrary, then make them nearer. Always remember to map to the music, not placing what you've just come up with.
02:41:307 - Kiai time should only be added at the parts where the music is strong and paticular, where you wanna strongly emphasize. Don't abuse it.
00:21:173 - Don't cassually set red lines. If you're not sure about the timg, ask for a BAT to help you, they're experts.
Use circles and sliders more averagely, it's like some circles between some sliders, not circle all the way and slider all the way.
By doing this, you may arrange them blancket-like then they'll look more beautiful and fun.
Your current map is just full of symmetrical notes all the way through. It's playable though, it's not fun to play.
Learn more from others' maps to improve yours would be a good idea.

Good luck
Hope this help
Topic Starter
Chupalika
uh... thanks
you point out some interesting things, like the first few points. I'll think about those.
everything in my maps are mapped to the music and what I come up with... everything I put on this map has a reason!
you dont understand... the parts I made kiai time are really kiai time. Dont say things like that just because it's the rules
and I put random timing points because without them nightcore mod beat would be off
I noticed everything was symmetrical... I kinda wanted to fix that but that would be changing a lot of the map which I dont really want to do.
but then again it's not like it doesn't flow with the music. I think symmetricalness works on this song
you're the first person to say it's not fun to play. explain please! I want to make this a fun map!
Zero__wind

Chupalika wrote:

uh... thanks
you point out some interesting things, like the first few points. I'll think about those.
everything in my maps are mapped to the music and what I come up with... everything I put on this map has a reason!
you dont understand... the parts I made kiai time are really kiai time. Dont say things like that just because it's the rules
and I put random timing points because without them nightcore mod beat would be off
I noticed everything was symmetrical... I kinda wanted to fix that but that would be changing a lot of the map which I dont really want to do.
but then again it's not like it doesn't flow with the music. I think symmetricalness works on this song
you're the first person to say it's not fun to play. explain please! I want to make this a fun map!
There's sth. you've mistaken
I didn't stand for the rules. I'm not really familiar with it, but at least more than you do, so I'm just reminding
And I'm not good at multi-red-line timing, so I just hope you didn't use it wrong
And about what's worth playing and what's only playable, you want me to map this song for you?
Or you think how I can tell you? This is with no sense.
Compare the ranked beatmaps in 2008 and now, You'll know what I mean.
Maps should have a creativity in it, if not, then why is it new?
Only copy and paste and fill the map full is never the way of mapping.
Make a map what you wanna play a thousand times by yourself. plz
Zero__wind
Though you are a better player than me
I'm better than you in mapping.
Feel free to grab my pending maps to have a look
Don't take itamiss, otherwise you lose at the beginning
Topic Starter
Chupalika
I guess you're right that it didn't have much creativity in it... but it's also true that I love playing this map over and over again :)
maybe you have a different view on what's fun and what's not...
I tried some of your maps... I actually like "always summer" a lot, but "I hope so" was pretty confusing.
also what is sth?
Zero__wind

Chupalika wrote:

I guess you're right that it didn't have much creativity in it... but it's also true that I love playing this map over and over again :)
maybe you have a different view on what's fun and what's not...
I tried some of your maps... I actually like "always summer" a lot, but "I hope so" was pretty confusing.
also what is sth?
Yeah, it's certainly true that everyone likes different kinds of maps and that's why there are different kinds of them been created.
So... It's Ok to have your style, but also, if you ever aim a map for rank, then you should also consider what's popu;ar and what's commonly accepted as well.
I didn't map that good till now but I'm keeping creating better ones.
Oh, you may want to see something I wrote in my [I Hope so..'s ] creator's words

btw, sth. means something =.= just like btw means by the way :3
Topic Starter
Chupalika
hmmm yea I remember I had to remap a lot of my first mapset... but I didn't get any criticism until you. :)
but you made me realize this map isn't as great as I thought
try my other maps, I want to see what you think!
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.