forum

Poll 16: How many keys can you press at once in osu!mania?

posted
Total Posts

I can press...

3 keys
4.46%
4 keys
16.07%
5 keys
6.25%
6 keys
22.32%
7 keys
14.29%
8 keys
36.61%
Total votes: 112
Polling ended
Topic Starter
peppy
osu!mania is a game mode which can potentially allow for 8+ keys to be pressed at once (although this is very rarely required by the music), but most keyboards these days reach limits far before this. It can depend on your binding locations and more importantly your keyboard hardware. This poll is to find out how many keys people can press at once in average so we can get an idea of what should be expected in ranked maps.

Play > Special > osu!mania > choose an 8k map (or turn on the 8k mod)

Start playing and press all the keys at once when using your preferred bindings. See how many actually display on the screen as being pressed. Make sure to hold them briefly and confirm results before letting go. Depending on the order you press keys, you may be able to "roll" more than otherwise possible, so make sure to test more than once and take the minimum reading.
Andrea
Only 4 keys, sadly.
Sonnyc
Mine displays all 8.

D: I don't have an extra hand to take a screenshot.
Aurele

Andrea wrote:

Only 4 keys, sadly.
Same here
NaomiMinette
All 8 for me.
Low
5 to 6. More often 6.
Azure_Kite
Between 6 and 4 keys here.

I'm using (From left to right) ASDF JKL;. If A is held down, I can only press four keys at once, however as long as A isn't pressed, I can hold 6.
woc2006

Andrea wrote:

Only 4 keys, sadly.
keyboard type?
DuckRice_old
Normally 7, but I can go up to 8 with a different key config.
[CSGA]Ar3sgice

Sonnyc wrote:

Mine displays all 8.

D: I don't have an extra hand to take a screenshot.
same to me haha
Derekku
6 keys

Was surprised, but I suppose that my keyboard isn't the greatest :p
MillhioreF
I can do all 8 with the default controls (ASDF JKL;) and all 7 in 7k (SDF *space* JKL) but as few as 3 if I remap them to other keys. The middle of the keyboard around the G and H area is especially prone to being unpressabe pretty quickly.

EDIT: laptop keyboard, like the guy below me. It's PS/2, which probably supports multiple buttons a lot better than USB.
Cristian
I can do 8.

And it's laptop...
Gonzvlo
8 here

I couldn't take a screenshot though (couldn't reach F12)
Wishy

peppy add this to the main post: http://www.microsoft.com/appliedscience ... gDemo.aspx so everyone can properly try.
Andrea

woc2006 wrote:

Andrea wrote:

Only 4 keys, sadly.
keyboard type?
Okay nevermind that, I can do 8 keys normally now.
DJPop
Lieselotte
Shenyin
6 and 8.
Soaprman
I can... usually get six keys but it's kind of finicky about which keys I'm holding when I press other ones and whether I press them at the same time or with a slight delay. I voted 5 in the poll because there are quite a few six-key combinations that don't work. When I press all eight at once, none of them are registered until I let go of some.

Razer BlackWidow, basic model, a few years old.
Shohei Ohtani
The very lowest I can do is 2 at times. Which sucks when trying to play maps that require 3 notes.
Bobbias
I can hit 7 fine.

I DID have to move my config over a bit though to accommodate 7. Originally I tried SDF space JKL but L caused ghosting, so I moved it to HJK and things have been fine since.
Kurai
6 here. Would be 8 if I had a PS/2 connection port on my laptop.
Cyclohexane
Stefan
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Scorpiour
8 because i use mechanical keyboard
deadbeat
surprisingly, i can push all 8 at once o.o
Ekaru
I can range from 2 to like 11 depending on the keys and what keyboard I'm using. With default controls I can press any combo of 3 keys but certain 4-key combos don't work.

So, I really have no idea what to put down on the poll. I do have a working 8K set-up, though.
bwross

Louis wrote:

Normally 7, but I can go up to 8 with a different key config.
Same with me. In fact, some jams result in zero keys held down (but that's not an option in the poll). Which means that it doesn't matter if there is a limit for rankabliltiy, if there's any chording in an 8K map using the far right key, it's likely problematic with my current setup. If I could define different keysets for different Kmods I'd be able to do 8 easily. Or if I could move the columns around with skinning so the far right one was in the middle (basically, if I could use the 5th/center key definition instead of the 9th key on the wings)... that would give me options for an 8th key that would work.
Daru
IIDX controller - 8
Lybydose
PS/2 port doesn't work for some reason, so 6
Colin Hou
8+ when I using the laptop keyboard, but it's crappy for mania-kind games.

6 for my USB keyboard. yeah, that's why it's 6 I suppose.
XPJ38

Colin Hou wrote:

8+ when I using the laptop keyboard, but it's crappy for mania-kind games.

6 for my USB keyboard. yeah, that's why it's 6 I suppose.
Same here.
Winshley
Tested with http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/content/projects/KeyboardGhostingDemo.aspx

Sony VAIO VGN-CR11GH laptop keyboard - 8 (with adjusted settings: LeftShift, S, D, F, Space, J, K, and L. Because if other keys are used, it may cause ghosting)

I might test with more keyboards later.
TakuMii
Both my desktop and macbook keyboards only support 6 keys at a time, but I'm planning to get a mechanical keyboard sometime.
Hanyuu

YayMii wrote:

Both my desktop and macbook keyboards only support 6 keys at a time, but I'm planning to get a mechanical keyboard sometime.
Mechanical keyboard dont necessary will mean you can press more than 6 buttons. Please make sure before you buy it, maybe testing or ask some others with the same keyboard if they can press 8 buttons. Because those keyboards are pretty pricey and it would be sad if you buy it and then still cant press how many keys you want.

My KB can press 8+ http://puu.sh/24ZYd
Corsair K90 Keyboard
DarkProjector
Only 4........
I often play DJmax with PSP and used to hand shank....orz
It's a bit hard for me to play mania with keyboard
Ruirize
Can do all 8.

If I continue to test (outside osu!) I can hold any 21 keys + modifiers.
show more