forum

which do you watch

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Da Holy One
I used to watch as each individual approach circle came in and then I would click it when I thought It was at just the right range. After being able to get SS on normal maps doing that I found it more difficult to do on hard maps. It seems like if i just look at the map in a general sense and watch for new approach circles its easier to get 300's. If I just look at one at a time like I used to, im more likely to get 100's

so to say it more simply- I try to make my eyes focus on new approach circles as they come up and completely ignore the timing on how close they are to hitting the beat circle.

does anyone else notice this? is it a bad habit im starting to develop?
buny
i try to listen to the beats but it's more of a mix between beats + approach circle

like approach circle would just be used as an indicator that the beat is coming
Purple
I watch the approach circles and then kill myself for being bad at hidden
Winshley
Watch Auto often and memorize the rhythm, or sometimes experiencing the rhythm by playing it right away. I'm more focused on the music and hitsounds instead of approach circles.

(Yes, I suck at AR sightreading and SS/FC on first try)
Loves
I always look onto the next circle before i press X/Z and sometimes I don't look at long distance jumps.
Zerzxes
I tend to wtch the map and where the next circles will appear. I have to play somgs like 4-5 times before i actually get rythm right and start hitting mostly 300's but i find it easier to combo buy looking where i have to click next.
Arvess

Purple wrote:

I watch the approach circles and then kill myself for being bad at hidden
^ Me too...
Icyteru
I watch my cursor
Oinari-sama
I pay more attention to new appearing circles and just leave the rest to the rhythm. This makes me miss sometimes because I'm not paying enough attention to the circle that I'm supposed to hit immediately.
zozozofun
I stare at the middle of my screen for some reason.
ethox

zozozofun wrote:

I stare at the middle of my screen for some reason.
I did this a lot when I played purely with mouse alone.

Now I just find the next note, fix my eyes upon it and follow the movement of the cursor more than the circles themselves and learn the rhytm from the music (todays maps are too easy, all 1/4 through some streams some tripleys yay). This makes me memorize the map easier than I've had before, but I still suck with flashlight though.
Sohma99
Most of the time I don't pay much attention to the ar, mainly following the rythm of the map....
This usually makes me get a few 100 at the begining of each map until I've played them a little xD.
Hanyuu
I allways watch the next thing that pops up to be prepared for it
theowest
It's important to focus on the AR when playing low AR maps (anything below AR8, that is not easier or just as easy as a hard difficulty)
High AR maps are easy to play without concentrating on, if you're used to that AR.
Pettanko
I read the followpoints.
silmarilen
i dont really know, i mostly listen to the music but if i cant see the approach circles i mess up (im so bad at hidden)
usa
Nope, it's normal to be overwhelmed by the notes if you're trying to read the AR of the notes one by one for beatmaps you can't keep up with.
What you're doing now is just basically learning to play more by beat, and less by AR.
It's a little weird but you'll get used to it if you play like that long enough.
CXu
Depends on the song and pattern. I'll usually just look at the general shape of the next few notes and move accordingly.
I do need to focus on individual notes when they require some tricky stuff or just generally long-ass jumps (unless I hit them by muscle memory).

Also, reading in general is composed of 39484 different things, like distance snap, approach rate, note fade-in (and out for hidden), followpoints, the music, symmetry (to some extent on some maps), recognizing patterns, muscle memory and probably a lot of other stuff. So yeah, you'll probably just start using all that reading maps at some point.
kriers
I constantly break patterns into pieces of 2 or 3 while using the rythm to predict their order.
Purple

CXu wrote:

Depends on the song and pattern. I'll usually just look at the general shape of the next few notes and move accordingly.
I do need to focus on individual notes when they require some tricky stuff or just generally long-ass jumps (unless I hit them by muscle memory).

Also, reading in general is composed of 39484 different things, like distance snap, approach rate, note fade-in (and out for hidden), followpoints, the music, symmetry (to some extent on some maps), recognizing patterns, muscle memory and probably a lot of other stuff. So yeah, you'll probably just start using all that reading maps at some point.
If I was megaman and I could take your reading powers by defeating you, I definitely would, no matter how many deaths or game-overs it takes.

recognizing patterns, muscle memory
I actually have a really bad habit of recognizing patters wrongly and then subconsciously memorizing them, making it really hard for me to fix my movement. I blame my disregard for combos.
theowest

Pettanko wrote:

I read the followpoints.
I've made them transparent. They're just in the way for me.
buny

theowest wrote:

Pettanko wrote:

I read the followpoints.
yesyes
pachii
I just follow the beat of it. You'll eventually get use to hitting the right notes after you get to know the song a little bit more.
Winshley

theowest wrote:

Pettanko wrote:

I read the followpoints.
In some cases, followpoints can be useful especially when playing with Flashlight mod. Hence I skin it with a large one. :P
ryza
I just stare at my feet or some cute girl while playing osu

it works pretty well
Bweh

Silynn wrote:

I just stare at my feet or some cute girl while playing osu

it works pretty well
My hit circles are cute girls