forum

PlayStation Club

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Yeah, I've looked into Ni no Kuni. It wasn't appealing to me at first, but I told myself that if the battle system looked fun enough, I'd give it a try anyway. The battle system didn't appeal to me either, and then later on I heard from people who were excited about the game that the AI for your teammates is pretty bad. I think they said they liked to get themselves killed or something.
Ekaru

foulcoon wrote:

Just skimmed and don't see any mention of Metal Gear Rising in the last few pages. I'm planning on picking that up today, been doing too much MMO gaming to check it out until now :)
My brother forced me to play it.

I'm glad he did. Once the game "clicks" it's a blast. Only 2 hours in right now, though. I'm gonna play more later.

EDIT: *close to 4 hours in, 2 hours according to game clock which only tracks gameplay.

EDIT2: Beat it. Amazing game.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
So I picked up Valkyrie Profile 1 and 3 and Ar tonelico 2. I've played some of VP1 and I'm playing AT2 right now. I think I already love AT2. I haven't even done anything in it, really. I've played 20 minutes. I just really like the art style and stuff. I've read the manual about the battle system and that just sounds really fun, too. So far adam's been right about VP1, but I'm gonna keep it going and see what happens. Just hit chapter 1 in that. I bet it'll get a little more interesting once I have weapons with multiple attacks and I get a bigger variety of attacks. And as for Birth By Sleep, I finally beat Terra's story and started Ventus'. I think I'm already liking it more than Terra's.
Ivalset
Valkyrie Profile 1 is a great game but it takes a while for it to get going. I think I tried playing it like 4 times before it finally clicked. The storyline is pretty cool though you kind of have to dig and/or follow an ending guide to get at some of it.

Valkyrie Profile 2 is way more accessible and is still pretty great, but I don't like the way they handle the einherjar (party members). They feel a lot more lifeless than the ones in VP1. You got a super cool storyline and intro to each character in 1, and most of them were interconnected in various ways. In 2 most of them you just read a couple paragraphs in their backstory and that's about it. There are a few people that are super important history-wise, and they're fleshed out pretty well, but there are a bunch of people who are just random whatevers. Also the einherjar are no where near as unique as they were in VP1, battle-wise.

Overall I'd say VP2 is a better game but VP1 has bucketloads more charm and a better overall story, world and characters.

Also I fucking told you to play ar tonelico 2 like 4 years ago!!!!!
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
I know, dude, but to get AT2, I would've had to get it online somewhere. Also, I don't remember if I had my PS2 with me when I was playing AT3. And I had to hit another RPG mood, hence all the Kingdom Hearts and Valkyrie Profile. Anyway, my local Gamestop had AT2, so I went and picked it up. I think it also cost a little more the last time I checked. It was still $20, but now I'm realizing it was worth it. Like, this game is better than AT3 in every way. Croix > Aoto. Luca > Saki. Croche > Finnel. And don't even get me started on how much better the battle system is in this game and how much cooler every fucking attack is.
Ivalset
I still listen to the replekia theme while driving. Shit is too good, gives me goosebumps.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
My friend is a fucking idiot. He looked at Valkyrie Profile and thinks that looks good. He's ok with the idea of Ar tonelico 3. When I tell him that AT2 is on the PS2, he says he won't like it because it looks like it could've been on a handheld. He literally thinks the game is bad only because of the graphics.

Oh, and my favorite part about VP1 so far is the fucking Golden Sun music.
Plus_old_1
So yeah, i wanted to buy Tales of Graces F from Play-Asia but it says "Out of Print/Out of Stock"

Does this mean is gone forever? :C
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Finally played TWEWY. And then I stopped. Forever. I made it to the part where you get Fusions. Then I found out how much Fusions ruin everything. It's not even worth continuing to see if it gets less worse. And I'll never see if Neku stops being the biggest piece of shit.
Azure_Kite

Seibei4211 wrote:

Finally played TWEWY. And then I stopped. Forever. I made it to the part where you get Fusions. Then I found out how much Fusions ruin everything. It's not even worth continuing to see if it gets less worse. And I'll never see if Neku stops being the biggest piece of shit.
You could always restrict your use of them
Of course he stops being a self-centred, arrogant brat. You think Squenix would let a character like that stay like that? Actually, never mind.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Yeah, but I get the feeling that fusions are the entire point of the battle system. I could sit there and ignore the fact that there are fusions and hope I activate one on accident, but then what's even the point? Why have any special attack system that's based on luck anyway? I think I would've at least stuck with the game a little longer if getting hit didn't interrupt your combo or if dodging/moving didn't fail 80% of the time I tried to do it. That was the infuriating part. When I finally died, it was because I was trying to hit the cure pin, but was getting hit so constantly that it interrupted a spell that's generally instant. Multiple times in a row.
awp
By fusions do you mean the pin thing you click in the corner once your synergy builds up or however it works? There's no luck involved.

I forget how it works but what I love about that game's battle system is how deliberate everything is. Except for the pin sets. They're not worth collecting.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Yes, those things. There's some luck with Shiki because you have to just guess what the first card is. If you get it right, you then have to guess the next one. If you get it wrong, you can, in theory, get the rest without guessing. The luck part comes in whether or not you can even finish a fucking combo before you get interrupted by one of the four enemies wailing on you. And if the solution to that is to kill some of the enemies so they don't hit you as much, then that defeats the purpose of a move that hits all of the enemies at once. I hadn't unlocked blocking or jumping yet, so I don't know if that shit would help, but I don't see how it would. At some point you would still have to stand there and do the combo. I also didn't like how slooooow the stupid puck was. Like seriously, speed it up. It'd be fucking great if the puck was instant. There were so many times when I'd do a combo with Shiki, then I'd just sit there as Neku, waiting and waiting for the puck to saunter over so I could finally go ahead and do a combo without it being wasted or breaking the chain.
awp

Seibei4211 wrote:

Yes, those things. There's some luck with Shiki because you have to just guess what the first card is. If you get it right, you then have to guess the next one. If you get it wrong, you can, in theory, get the rest without guessing. The luck part comes in whether or not you can even finish a fucking combo before you get interrupted by one of the four enemies wailing on you. And if the solution to that is to kill some of the enemies so they don't hit you as much, then that defeats the purpose of a move that hits all of the enemies at once. I hadn't unlocked blocking or jumping yet, so I don't know if that shit would help, but I don't see how it would. At some point you would still have to stand there and do the combo. I also didn't like how slooooow the stupid puck was. Like seriously, speed it up. It'd be fucking great if the puck was instant. There were so many times when I'd do a combo with Shiki, then I'd just sit there as Neku, waiting and waiting for the puck to saunter over so I could finally go ahead and do a combo without it being wasted or breaking the chain.
There are ways to speed up the puck and dodging/blocking helps a lot if you can manage controlling two characters at the same time. Also, don't spend too much time planning attacks with your partner. I just mashed right/left (attack?) constantly. If it still moves the puck around you can easily just beef it up using Neku. I think my flash card still has TWEWY on it so I might throw it in and see if I can remember how to play and offer pointers

the combat system doesn't appeal to everyone but I think it's the greatest thing on the DS and hands-down the best title Squenix has put out in the last decade

augh. Okay I was playing it and I can't for the life of me remember how to change my phone menu music. Driving me nuts.

So puck is just a damage multiplier, and you need stars to build up that sync ability, which means you do actually need to get the cards right. I still just mash the left and right buttons for the most part though. The puck is enough.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
You're making the same argument that my friend's been making, saying that there are upgrades later on that make the combat system less shitty. I just wanna know why the combat system can't be fun all the time. Like why can't it just start out being good, then get better, instead of starting out horrible and becoming bearable. I'm "used" to the "two screen battle system" if you wanna say the top screen even counts. I do have it set to Manual and Normal mode and shit. It's like, I can get through the battles, it just takes a while because the enemies have stupid amounts of HP, there's a stupid amount of enemies, and my fully upgraded pins do pitiful damage. So yeah, I can do it, it's just not been fun, and the game's given me no indication that it will ever get fun. Leveling up doesn't feel very good, because it doesn't really boost too many stats. There's also something about the battles in general. Like the top screen doesn't ever feel like you're doing damage to enemies. It never ever feels any good to do anything with the top screen. And it barely feels decent to do damage on the bottom screen. The attacks feel so weak and flaccid and whatever. Satisfying sounds and appropriate reactions when you hit enemies go a long way, apparently. Oh, and I guess one thing that's annoying is how often the enemies will just fly off the screen and then fly back to you for absolutely no reason. There's a lot of waiting involved because good luck trying to follow them with the iffy movement controls.
awp
It's been a long time since I've played it from a new game, but I recall loving the battle system immediately (except for the part where you have to use fire, that's boring as shit)

bosses were tough though iirc
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
After a bit of a break, I went back to TWEWY and I made it to day 6. I don't hate it as much as I did previously, but I'm still not into it. I liked the boss that you fight in darkness, cause there was actually a good reason to pay attention to the top screen and use fusions and stuff. All of the other bosses I fought were just damage sponges. I know they're not all like that, but the ones I fought were. After playing Birth By Sleep, I'm totally fucking sick of having to level up moves, so getting PP for pins sucked for me.

Edit: Oh, and speaking of BBS, Ival was right about Aqua being the best. The person I'm borrowing this game from said Ventus was the best, but come on. Ghost Drive. And countless other things.
awp
Ventus had the best keyblade style, but Aqua was the best of the three. She didn't have much competition though
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Yeah, I thought Aqua had the best keyblade style. At least for me. She was at least the best aerial keyblade fighter. She did vertical slashes in the air, which is what you need to keep an aerial combo going. I think she was also capable of flying downwards a bit to hit someone, which is helpful. I don't know if I was just imaging this, but it seemed like she had the longest dash distance when attacking distant enemies on land, too. Ventus' attacks looked cooler though.

Anyway, just beat the game finally. Tried beating the first secret boss a few times. Fuuuuck thaaat. I'll save that headache for when I inevitably have to do it in the next KH Collection. By the way, Kingdom Hearts II, Birth By Sleep, and Coded seem to be on the next KH Collection. There's HD videos of those games at the end of 1.5 Remix.

Now that BBS is done, time to get back to Valkyrie Profile. And hopefully some AT2. And I'd really like to play some Joe Danger 2...
awp

Seibei4211 wrote:

By the way, Kingdom Hearts II, Birth By Sleep, and Coded seem to be on the next KH Collection. There's HD videos of those games at the end of 1.5 Remix.
that's cool but is Coded getting the "Cutscene Only" treatment? Because that was a dick move to 358/2 days
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
I dunno yet. I just know those three games are gonna be on it in some way. I wanna know if it's gonna be coded or Re:coded (probably Re:coded). I'm not looking forward to getting the Birth By Sleep plat. If you have to get 100% in that, then that'd suck hard.

I played VP3 today. I really liked that. I guess I'm not so allergic to TRPGs. I got into some tough situations already, since you can't grind, but I still beat them. I don't know if I could deal with Fire Emblem's permadeath shit though. I let one of my party members die at one point since I didn't want to waste one of my 2 turns of double stats. I guess if I knew she would've died for good, I would've just healed her. But there was another time when she got frozen and taken down to 10 HP. That'd be a little too close for comfort in a permadeath game.
Ivalset
It's not much to think about in Fire Emblem. When someone dies, most people just restart. And usually, if someone is dying, you fucked up pretty hard and overextended or something. Or let a flier get hit by an archer.

They give you a bunch of tools to see enemy movement/attack ranges and stuff, so you know when you're taking risks.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Yeah, there may be some better tools or something to keep you from dying for no reason in Fire Emblem. I know in VP3, archers and sorcerers are the bane of my existence. Sorcerers do the status effects I don't like and archers find their way into every conflict in the beginning. Gotta give the AI some credit in this game. They're pretty good about picking someone and focusing damage on them. But yeah, in VP3, it takes some work, but you can figure out where it's safe to be to not get hit by enemies (although it's pretty hard to know when you're safe from an archer/sorcerer). It'd be nice if it was a bit easier to figure that out, but whatever.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Wow. So Gamestop's got a thing going on where if you buy God of War: Ascension online, you get the God of War Saga for free. That's 6 games for $60. Not bad. God of War Saga's $40 just by itself.
awp
I've seen GoW Saga for about $20 in pawn shops but $40 brand new is good considering it's 5 full games
Tetsu_old
Do we have a PS4 topic?

Anw...from neogaf.

And Cliffy responds:

Cliff Bleszinski ‏@therealcliffyb 2h
MEGATON ALERT TEH GAF "@megganpez: Mark Cerny & Yu Suzuki talking strategy for Shenmue III. For reals you guys.

Combine with this tidbit from January of last year:
Yu Suzuki: "We can obtain Shenmue license from Sega."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ense-from-sega
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
There. PlayStation Club. I even made the first post totally general. And now for something completely different. I've been going on a F2P MMO rampage lately. Tried out Scarlet Blade, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, Remnant Knights, Rusty Hearts, and Continent of the 9th Seal. Dragon Nest and Vindictus are probably my favorites out of them all. C9 was promising, but it crashed on me because my computer can just barely run it at all. I can also barely run Vindictus. I've got that on the second lowest graphic setting, but it works.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
So Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance went down to $20 recently. Finally broke down and bought it. I didn't like the demo when I played it and after playing Birth By Sleep, I was even less excited about it since I thought it used a similar battle system. And in the demo, the Flowmotion stuff hadn't won me over, since I couldn't get it to work very well. I've done a complete fucking 360 about the game. I love it so hard. I've gotten used to the Flow-mo, they got rid of some of the most annoying parts about BBS, but kept the good stuff, they made the bosses cooler, the worlds and general enemies are more fun, and I even don't mine the Dream Eaters now. I think this has become my third favorite Kingdom Hearts overall and my favorite handheld version. Although Sora is really annoying in this one... His voice and his personality are so different from Kingdom Hearts II, even though this is supposed to take place afterwards. Also, I think he got shorter for some reason. Maybe this is all story-related and I don't even know. But Riku is obviously his KHII self, with shorter hair.
Ekaru
It's $20 now? I think I'll have to eventually go for it, then.
Azure_Kite

Seibei4211 wrote:

Snip

Yeah, if you haven't finished the game yet, Sora's personality regression is kinda sorta explained later on.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Yeah, I've only just hit Prankster's Paradise. I backtracked and did a bunch of special portals and stuff. The dudes in the Tron world on Riku's side were kinda mean, so the extra leveling up didn't hurt. I'm glad I did BBS before this game, since there's so many references to things introduced in BBS. BBS and 3D are basically the least "spin-off" of the spin-offs.
Haneii

Seibei4211 wrote:

Yeah, BBS and 3D are basically the least "spin-off" of the spin-offs.
Neither of them are spin-offs.
Azure_Kite
Yeah, they're both canon, yet still not a numbered title ;A;

Although, I feel 3D is probably the closest to a numbered title in terms of quality than any of the other non-numbered titles to date.

Also, the secret message in the credits when you reach 100%!

"The past will be reawakened as a new number in never-before-seen detail. Prepare yourself for the awakening of the next number."
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
I don't think spin-off and non-canon are the same thing. I wasn't saying that any of them weren't canon, I'm just saying BBS and 3D are the most important, story-wise, out of the non-numbered games. Like I played 358/2, but the story in that is basically inconsequential to the rest of the series. Like there's interesting stuff and whatever, but you could skip it and not miss out much. I haven't done Chain of Memories yet, but I bet it's pretty helpful in bridging the gap between 1 and 2. BBS has lots of ideas that radiate throughout the rest of the series and 3D is supposed to be a primer for KH3. Haven't done coded, but it doesn't seem like it's as important as those two.
awp
BBS started life as a PS2 game and was supposed to always be considered part of the "main" storyline. The only ones that aren't really noteworthy are Re:Coded and 358/2 days. 358/2 had some core components to it, but very little. Coded was the least important. I don't even really remember what the point of it was, other than "The hurting will be mended when you return to end it"

I absolutely loved KHDDD. The Flowmotion system has essentially spoiled me though and every other KH is going to feel boring/slow paced. Also, the secret boss in DDD is stupidly difficult and even exploiting the AI it's a pain in the ass.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Yeah, Flowmotion is pretty awesome. Although I still really like Reactions from KHII. If they could replace Reality Shifts with Reactions in KHIII, we'd have a real winner. Although I do miss drive forms and summons and stuff. And if the secret boss is harder than the one in BBS, then I'm just not even gonna bother. Why'd they have to start making the secret bosses absolutely unfair and cheap? Like jeez.
Dieathan
Usually there's some sort of reward for defeating these uber powerful and cheap secret bosses. It's usually a powerful keyblade or something, but in the original KH (Not Final Mix), you get nothing for all the effort you put into defeating the secret bosses. I was rather annoyed when I discovered that.
awp
you get the Ultima Keyblade for beating the boss, but that's always pointless since hey, you've defeated the toughest enemy, aka the one guy you needed that keyblade for

I don't even remember the secret boss in KH: BBS. But I'm pretty sure I unlocked/accomplished everything?
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
I didn't get to the final boss. I fought the guy before him and on Proud mode, he could one shot me with literally any attack he used, so I just said screw it because I didn't even like BBS that much.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
awp, I think you're pretty much required to buy Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.
show more