forum

PlayStation Club

posted
Total Posts
show more
Ivalset
Just published.
awp
oh, there was another game they published for PS3 that I almost bought because it was cheap (like, 10 or 20 bux) but apparently it as also really bad
Mafiamaster
Mugen Souls is a "meh" game. Hopefully it'll get better... lol.

awp wrote:

oh, there was another game they published for PS3 that I almost bought because it was cheap (like, 10 or 20 bux) but apparently it as also really bad
Are you talking about Last Rebellion? That was $15 when I got it. Easiest plat ever but the game itself was pretty bad.
awp

Mafiamaster wrote:

awp wrote:

Are you talking about Last Rebellion? That was $15 when I got it. Easiest plat ever but the game itself was pretty bad.
Yeah, pretty sure that was it
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Finally got around to playing Star Ocean 4. I feel sorry for the 360 players that were forced to listen to the English dub. I wonder if I'll be able to finish this one since I never finished SO3.
Ivalset
Gross on both counts. Why would you ever play Star Ocean 4 and how could you not finish Star Ocean 3?!
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Star Ocean 3 was a long fucking game and I didn't like it that much. I liked it enough to get 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through the game. Also, I was probably 13 or something when I played it. I got Star Ocean 4 because I knew it was a long fucking game and I wanted to have something like that for when I needed a cheap, long game to waste time. Besides, so far I like the battle system in SO4 more than SO3. Not by much, but a little. If it wasn't for blindsides, it'd be incredibly boring.
Ivalset
Well, for your sake, I hope blindsides can keep you entertained.
Mafiamaster
Mugen Souls got better. I got access to the Mugen Field (randomized battles in a row going up to 100 floors) and did an event airship battle which netted me like 30 levels. I was level 9 at the time and I went to level 36 in chapter 2. Now I'm one shotting everything in the story. Broken leveling system, heh.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
The battle system could be worse. Could be Ar tonelico Qoga. And I thought I just said I'm playing this game to waste time. I didn't say I was playing it because I thought it'd be entertaining. But if I start to hate it too much, I can just stop. I'm already starting to get annoyed with the accidental jumping when I'm trying to blindside. I don't particularly like jumping at all. But I really like the BEAT system though. I could probably go to Tales of the Abyss for 3DS if I need a replacement RPG. By the way, I don't really see how Star Ocean 4 is all that much worse than Star Ocean 3. Not saying it's not, but I just don't see how it is.
awp
Star Ocean 4 looked horrible from what I've seen.

Like it was a really bad anime full of insufferable characters, ear-grating voices, and poorly-written dialogue (granted almost every game has poorly-written dialogue)
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
That's all true. I, personally, don't need those things to be able to play an RPG though. I go into every RPG assuming the story, characters, and voices will be bad, so I don't mind it when my assumptions are correct. Then when I'm wrong about it, it's cool. The voices would be absolutely maddening if it wasn't for the Japanese dub though. Even that can't help Welch's annoying voice though.

By the way, can someone fucking explain to me how Faize is actually a guy? Is it some bullshit where that's how Eldarian guys look and sound or something?
Ivalset
I could tolerate Star Ocean 4 if the combat wasn't just so...terrible compared to 3. I really despise blindsides because plenty of bosses devolve into "do shitty damage until blindside, then do hella damage for a few seconds, repeat." It's not fun. Then there were the dumb cinematic skill chain things. SO3 never interrupted the flow of combat like that. They also removed the whole fury/guts system and anti-attack auras, which was one of the best parts of SO3.

There was harmony in SO3's battle system. Light attacks/evasions beat heavy attacks, heavy attacks beat AAA's, and AAA's beat light attacks. Outside of navigating menus, the action is constant.

Also they took out MP kills, come on, that was the coolest shit.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
One of the only things I remember about SO3's combat was that there was some sort of gauge at the bottom and it needed to be at 100% to block attacks and you had to stand still for it to be at 100%. I think I'm gonna need to start playing SO3 again to remember why I didn't like the combat that much. I've got vague ideas about why I didn't like it, but my memory is not my friend. I probably compared SO3's combat to Tales of Symphonia's combat and just didn't like it for not being as fast and fun as Symphonia's.
awp

Seibei4211 wrote:

I go into every RPG assuming the story, characters, and voices will be bad, so I don't mind it when my assumptions are correct.
I'm going to assume you haven't played the Disgaea games

or maybe you gave one of them a try but just hate SRPGs in general? I can't remember, I had a conversation like that with someone once, years ago

anyway the character design, dialogue, and voice acting in Disgaea games are all top notch. Story's generally charming, but nothing fantastic. Except for Disgaea 1, in which the story was "Hey, you're the final boss in a world of demons, and 75% of the game is your day-to-day 'I do whatever the fuck I want' episodic adventures"

Also I started replaying Disgaea 4 to do the Baal fight once it came out, and I've got a long way to go before I can even walk up to him. If you want an RPG that requires a gigantic time investment, well, I'm already 160 hours into it and still going
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Yeah, I don't play SRPGs. Like, ever. I would probably like Disgaea a lot if I liked SRPGs. I like my real-time battle systems. Tales is always good for that. Can't wait for Xillia to get here.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
So it took me a couple of days, but I've finally figured out where I am in the game and where I'm supposed to go. This game is not helpful to people who don't remember where to go. Well, I knew where to go, but didn't know how to get there or where it was because there's no world map. I've been doing a number of battles trying to find where I'm supposed to go, and I was using Fayt at first and hating it. I hate his stupid two-hit combos. They're so weak and slow. I eventually switched to Albel and that made battles much more fun. I finally figured out how to get the AI to stop using so much MP, so hopefully that'll make things better, too. It's annoying how this game is one of those games where only your active party gets any XP. At least in Tales, the other guys get half of it or something like that. I also don't like how you can't chain strong and heavy attacks. You can't even use a strong attack and a weak battle skill afterwards. Actually, I don't know if you can chain any battle skill after a strong attack.
awp
Just defeated Tyrant Overlord Baal in a 1v1 fight in Disgaea 4.

I am the fucking master
Ivalset

Seibei4211 wrote:

I've been doing a number of battles trying to find where I'm supposed to go, and I was using Fayt at first and hating it. I hate his stupid two-hit combos. They're so weak and slow. I eventually switched to Albel and that made battles much more fun.
Fayt is all about the long range strong launcher -> strong anti-air -> weak anti-air x2. His long range weak thrust attack is also pretty good as far as normals go. It's reliable to utilize his long range normals because he does have one of the fastest movement speeds. Albel is a lot more technical, especially with his counterattacks.

I imagine the reasoning behind not being able to chain cancel after strong attacks is that it would essentially make every strong attack safe to use.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Yeah, Fayt's launch is good. Sometimes they don't launch right or something and the second hit doesn't always connect. I don't like that Albel doesn't have an anti-air weak attack and his anti-air strong is hard to connect sometimes, but it feels good when it does.

I tend to use a lot of strong attacks anyway, because they are safe to use. There are so many instances where an enemy has 99% fury, so I can't break his AAA to allow me to use a weak combo, and if I try to do a weak combo, they usually get 100% during the combo and fuck me. So the only options are to wait for him to attack or stop moving or just strong attack him. And using AAAs against enemies is like, I could do that, or I could just hit them with my swords and stuff. Cause if he's attacking me, he's already got less than 100% fury. If I was still playing as Fayt, I'd say the fury system was useless, but with Albel's infinite combo, you do have to put a stop to that at some point.

I'm probably gonna get Tales of the Abyss or Muramasa soon. I'd heard of Muramasa before, but I didn't know it was from the Odin Sphere guys. Speaking of Vanillaware, Google "Dragon's Crown Sorceress". There's not even any words for it.
Ivalset
Well, when playing on harder difficulties and/or against the optional bosses, things get a lot more dangerous and AAA's become much more valuable. On the normal difficulty, yeah, attacking is often just as good as AAA's or evading. You should be using chain cancel combos anyway, so if enemies are getting to 100% too quickly, just cancel into your strong skill sooner.

The sorceress in Dragon's Crown is the best. It's almost at the level where I'm not sure if I can handle playing as one. It's actually pretty much the sorceress from Grand Knights History, which has really diminished my reaction to it.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
If I play Dragon's Crown, I'll probably start with the Elf since she reminds me of Mercedes from Odin Sphere. And Mercedes was awesome.
Ivalset
Mercedes was so dumb. Piercing shot so fucking op.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
That's why I liked her. She was ridiculously overpowered. Like it's not even fair. Bosses were a joke.
adam2046
So I finished Devil May Cry 2 as Dante and started playing Devil May Cry.
I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't actually like Devil May Cry style games that much...
Ivalset
Doesn't everyone tell you DMC2 is the worst game and shouldn't be played by anyone ever?
awp
it's not as bad as everyone says but is not as good as the first or third one.

I never finished the fourth one despite it having the one feature I felt was missing in DMC3, switching stances in realtime
Dieathan
I've managed to finish all of them except DMC2 since I've haven't played it and never will.

Playing DMC after getting used to DMC3 and DMC4 requires a bit of time. Especially since I played DMC3 and DMC4 on PC with a keyboard. Not the best way to play, but it kind of works. The combat and the stylish cutscenes are really the best part of the franchise.
adam2046

Ivalset wrote:

Doesn't everyone tell you DMC2 is the worst game and shouldn't be played by anyone ever?
I rented it way back and really enjoyed it.
I still feel like it would be a game I'd really enjoy if they just made some changes to the combat flow, the weapons, the level design, the enemy design, the enemy variety, the difficulty, the bosses, the camera, the entire story, the voice acting and the characters.
...Yeah it's a pretty mediocre experience,

I'm hoping DMC 3 is basically the good parts of DMC 1 & 2 mashed together when I eventually get around to it.
Ivalset
http://blip.tv/accountingnightmare/dmc2 ... ve-5425572

This video pretty much made sure I never bothered to think about playing DMC2.
adam2046

Ivalset wrote:

http://blip.tv/accountingnightmare/dmc2-retrospective-5425572

This video pretty much made sure I never bothered to think about playing DMC2.
Yeah that's pretty much it...
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Dammit. Hothead Games, the guys who made a whole bunch of games I loved such as Penny Arcade Adventures, Deathspank, and Swarm, are now exclusively making iOS/Android games. Lame.
Ivalset
iOS/Android games are the way of the future easy money.
awp
but what about the fourth Deathspank game isn't that supposed to exist?
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
I guess not. They've apparently spent the last year doing this transition from console to handheld games. And they didn't say "mainly" iOS/Android. They said "exlusively". It seems like the chance of getting any decent games from them anymore is slim to none.
Mafiamaster
Pretty psyched about P4G coming this Tuesday on Vita!!!

PERSONA!

Anyone else have a Vita?
adam2046
I've been thinking about getting one, but I still have like 30 PSP games I need to play.
I'm not sure if I could get used to those tiny sticks though.
cokeshawty
noahbun :]
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
So they've got the DMC demo out now. I like the combat in that. It's pretty fun to grapple yourself into the air and not have to touch the ground. I can't compare it to any other DMC games cause I've not played any of them. The annoying thing is that I swear you can't run straight in that game. There's some weird shit with the camera or something where if you press up, you go up and a bit to the right. Considering that there's platforming elements in this game, that's kind of annoying.
Behon
Anyone else have PlayStation All-Stars? That game's a lot of fun from what I've played, even though there are some gameplay differences compared to Smash Bros.
show more