forum

PlayStation Club

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Is anyone else looking at Kingdoms of Amalur? I tried that demo (which is super long, by the way) and that was really fun. It's basically like a single-player WoW with Fable combat. It's got a hybrid class system that's determined by how you allocate your skill points. It's got a nice amount of weapon types, sneak attacks/assassinations, a quick select that pauses the game for once, deteriorating equipment, Mass Effect dialogue wheel, and a way to mark inventory items as Junk. I just hope the main game doesn't have as much of a frame rate issue as the demo, but even if it does, the game looks fun enough for me to wanna ignore those problems, just like Fallout.

Also, The Darkness II demo was super fun. That was such a hoot. And there's co-op in that game, too. And no competitive. Double jackpot.
Ivalset
I will probably wait until Amalur gets cheap to buy it.

I enjoyed what I played but I wouldn't consider myself really invested into it.

I do like how feasible multi-classing is, though.
Ivalset

Chocolina is the fucking best.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
She was one of the reasons I hated the demo. Listening to her talk made me want to rip my ears off.
Ivalset
She owns.

superminor spoiler:
apparently she's the chocobo chick.
DawnII
CHOCO-BOCO-LINAAAAAAAAAAA

She's so hard she permeates through time.
Ivalset
Also, moogle throwing is the other best thing. Should have been in every FF.
awp

Ivalset wrote:

Chocolina is the fucking best.

she's wearing a dead chocobo head as a hat

...what
Ivalset
I didn't even notice she was wearing a hat.
awp
comically oversized breasts
Ivalset
"Welcome to my shop! Take a breather and survey Chocolina's charmingly cheap chest of charity!"

Oh, Chocolina, you don't have to ask me to look at your charming chest of charity.

Edit: Finished FF13-2, all I have to say is "Fuck."

Fuck.
Mafiamaster
I find it hard even on easy mode. I must be doing something wrong.
Ivalset
Mm, are you having trouble with anything in particular?

Most of my general strategies from 13 work about the same, except for synergists sucking in general now.
adam2046
Nothing to do, so I play a Master System game from a Mega Drive compilation on my PS3.
...I feel like I'm doing something horribly wrong. It's not like Phantasy Star 1 is even particularly good.
Mafiamaster
I'm on the last boss, I think. Or close around there where there's like a chain of battles. (I only tried it once)
It may have to do with my set up.

Serah: Lvl 68 Rav / 50 Com (246 Atk / 390 Mag)
Noel: Lvl 70 Com / 60 Rav / 50 Syn (382 Atk / 287 Mag)
Flanitor (Med): Lvl 12
Flanbanero (Rav): Lvl 28

I don't use Saboteur or Sentinel at all.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
You don't use Saboteur? So you don't debuff strong enemies? Jeez. I was always using Saboteur in FFXIII. I think I used Com/Rav/Sab a lot. Sentinel's mostly just good for triple Sentinel, but man, that does work and is necessary for some attacks.
Ivalset
Saboteurs are kind of nerfed a bit, but still really nice if you do it right.

I would really advise having at least a double sentinel paradigm if you don't want to bring in a monster for triple sentinel. That way you can switch to it to mitigate the damage from serious attacks that might oneshot you otherwise.
Mafiamaster
Interesting. So I'm not underleveled or anything?
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Wait, so they nerfed Synergists AND Saboteurs? What the hell, man? It's not like they were even overpowered to begin with. Hope and Fang were the only overpowered things in that game.
Ivalset
Yeah, none of the two main characters are exceptional synergists (no offensive buffs), and they're both missing some saboteur skills like curse, fog and pain. Saboteurs are still great to use and effective, you're just kind of forced to use monsters in those roles if you want to do it completely right. And since you can only have three monsters active at a time, and you probably want to use other roles etc...
DawnII
I haven't ever used a double SEN paradigm. Especially with some boss SEN monsters, you don't need more than one. I usually SEN when I need to switch to MED or SYN/SAB so I can keep the chain going.
Mafiamaster
Okay, I beat the game. Med/Med/Med helped a lot along with an OP Chichu.

Ivalset wrote:

Fuck.
This is true.
Ivalset

For some reason, Oerba always has the best music.

I actually like the normal version of Ruined Hometown much more than the aggressive mix, but you never get to hear the aggressive mix in its entirety unless you do something weird like visit the menu when a mob shows up.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Well here's a good one. I went to Gamestop just now to get Darkness II, Kingdoms of Amalur, and the guide for the latter since that's probably a huge game. I was looking around and I didn't see the guide for KoA, so I asked if they had it and he said they got an email saying it had been delayed. What the fuck? So the guide is coming out in two weeks instead. By then the internet will probably have whipped up some stuff and I won't want the guide. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before.
Ivalset
Mm, I don't think Kingdoms of Amalur is the kind of game I'd really want a guide for personally, though I'm not really one to buy guides in the first place. Seemed like a simple enough game with not much going on behind the scenes.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
I like maps, and I wanna know about any time-sensitive sidequests with awesome rewards or something. I wanna know if there are any special super awesome weapons to get that I might miss out on normally. Like in FFXII, you'd be screwed if you didn't know how to get that Zodiac Spear from the beginning of the game. But if I play the game and it turns out to be pretty simple to follow, then I'll just use the money I would've used to buy the guide and put it towards Asura's Wrath.
Ivalset
Where's the mystique, Selphie? That sense of discovering the unknown when venturing into a new game in which you know nothing about?
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Nope. That's just not how I play games.
adam2046
Finally finished Katamari Forever, so I guess I should probably get around to finishing off Valkyria Chronicles and Nier too.
...I need to stop playing games halfway through.

Downloaded a bunch of demos to the xbox since they don't count towards my internet quota.
Played Amalur and made a dark elf guy with a fabulous moustache and played with some rogue/fighter skills with bonuses to mana. It's fun, but it seems to really need a lock on button because I kept harpooning the wrong guys. Stopped playing a little while into the timed part of the demo because I was pretty much sold on buying the game already.
Asura's Wrath is hilarious and I might just buy it when it's a bit cheaper. I was really expecting some sort of God of War clone, but it's good that it's its own thing.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211

adam2046 wrote:

Finally finished Katamari Forever, so I guess I should probably get around to finishing off Valkyria Chronicles and Nier too.
...I need to stop playing games halfway through.

Downloaded a bunch of demos to the xbox since they don't count towards my internet quota.
Played Amalur and made a dark elf guy with a fabulous moustache and played with some rogue/fighter skills with bonuses to mana. It's fun, but it seems to really need a lock on button because I kept harpooning the wrong guys. Stopped playing a little while into the timed part of the demo because I was pretty much sold on buying the game already.
Asura's Wrath is hilarious and I might just buy it when it's a bit cheaper. I was really expecting some sort of God of War clone, but it's good that it's its own thing.
You played Nier and haven't finished it? Did you not like it? When I played that game, I couldn't stop myself from playing until I was 100% done. I love that game.

Yeah, I wish it had a lock-on button, too. Even for non-projectile stuff, it'd be nice to circle strafe dudes.

That Asura's Wrath demo is what made me go from wanting to buy it eventually to wanting to pre-order it and get it on day one. That shit is outrageous. The chapter 11 one was crazy. That fucking sword, man. Awesome.
adam2046

Seibei4211 wrote:

You played Nier and haven't finished it? Did you not like it? When I played that game, I couldn't stop myself from playing until I was 100% done. I love that game.
I'm actually just incredibly bad at finishing games, I usually stop playing at the halfway mark and start playing something completely different. I still haven't finished Persona 3 and a bunch of other PS2 games thanks to this.
DawnII
Sinful.
Ivalset

adam2046 wrote:

I still haven't finished Persona 3 and a bunch of other PS2 games thanks to this.
I...don't even know you anymore.
awp
I haven't finished P3 either but I only started playing it a month and change ago. I'm probably going to finish it in a couple weeks. Oh, plus The Answer.
DawnII
Man I stuck a Sazh afro on my Chichu and it is the bossest thing in the world.
Also Chocolina, WTF.
Ivalset
Chocolina the best.
Topic Starter
Seibei4211
Just started playing a bit of Amalur. Got a few quests under my belt now. Fuck, this game is fun. Chakrams? Fuckin'...forget about it. They're awesome. And Hammers beat the shit out of people (and bears) so well. I love this shit. Although I fucking hate how they have white text with a white shadow underneath it. It just makes me feel like I have blurry vision. So annoying to read that. And I don't know why they called this Hard mode, because you could've fooled me.
DawnII
Sazh DLC. 5 bucks. Shit, I think I'm obligated to throw that money down.
Ivalset
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to.

Honestly, I should get that DLC free, but whatever.

I hope he repeatedly asks people if they're afraid of him, while reminding people that they are nothing.
awp
Sazh costs money? Bulllllshit

don't justify charging money for a good character by making all the other characters insufferably angsty twats
show more