forum

[Archived] FPS problem at map list

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xantis
Hi!

I've got problem with my FPS at map list, which makes me unable to record gameplays (not replays). The problem is that I have only ~200-220 FPS at map list, when at main menu or while playing map I have ~700-1k FPS.

And now how the problem looks like. When I turn on fraps at map list, it makes osu 30 FPS which is unable to play and it has problem with changing FPS to more when I choose map. When I turn fraps for example from replay menu and turn replay on, I have ~120-150 FPS while recording, which should be also at map menu. I think the reason is I have much lower FPS at map menu than main menu or while playing maps, but I don't know why it is lower.

I have good computer (quad core phenom, 4GB ram and HD7700 GPU) so there shouldn't be a problem and if i remember good, I haven't that problem earlier.
theowest
That is to be expected IMO. Having much fps in the song select isn't necessary.
You could also have your frame limiter set to Unlimited (gameplay) meaning you'll only have unlimited fps when you're actually playing.
peppy
As long as you are getting more than 60, this isn't a huge issue.
MillhioreF
I get about 40-50 FPS at the map selection screen, but I'm pretty sure that's caused by me having 26k maps, which is probably way too many. It's not a big deal as long as I move through it quickly, but if I idle there, my GPU overheats pretty fast. Much better than when I got 15 FPS with only 20k maps before song select optimization, but it's still kinda annoying.
Topic Starter
Xantis

theowest wrote:

That is to be expected IMO. Having much fps in the song select isn't necessary.
You could also have your frame limiter set to Unlimited (gameplay) meaning you'll only have unlimited fps when you're actually playing.
I have my frame limiter set to Unlimited always.

peppy wrote:

Unfortunately it is, because I have problems with recording videos from Osu!. For example, If i turn on fraps at main menu, I have ~200FPS, but when i jump to map list FPS are getting lower to 30... It causes problems with cursor, even though I choose map, FPS aren't coming back to higher value and are still at 30 which is unable to play. I have to restart map a few times to get higher FPS.

And yes, I have ~59GB maps, but before I didn't notice that problem.

@edit: One more thing, When I'm turning off Softening Filter I have ~1-1,5k more FPS at main menu and while playing map, but at map list there is still ~200 FPS. There is no any change, so I don't think it is working properly.
Topic Starter
Xantis
Hi. I know that peppy moved my thread and marked as invalid, but there is a problem which is really annoying so I want to add some new things that I found with FPS.

I've got problem with my FPS at map list, which makes me unable to record gameplays (not replays). The problem is that I have only ~200-220 FPS at map list, when at main menu or while playing map I have ~700-1k FPS.

And now how the problem looks like. When I turn on fraps at map list, it makes osu 30 FPS which is unable to play and it has problem with changing FPS to more when I choose map. When I turn fraps for example from replay menu and turn replay on, I have ~120-150 FPS while recording, which should be also at map menu. I think the reason is I have much lower FPS at map menu than main menu or while playing maps, but I don't know why it is lower.

I have good computer (quad core phenom, 4GB ram and HD7700 GPU) so there shouldn't be a problem and if i remember good, I haven't that problem earlier.

peppy wrote:

But unfortunately it is, because I have problems with recording videos from Osu!. For example, If i turn on fraps at main menu, I have ~200FPS, but when i jump to map list FPS are getting lower to 30... It causes problems with cursor, even though I choose map, FPS aren't coming back to higher value and are still at 30 which is unable to play. I have to restart map a few times to get higher FPS.

Moreover, when I'm turning off Softening Filter I have around 2k-2,5k FPS at main menu and while playing map, but at map list there is still ~200 FPS. There is no any change, so I don't think it is working properly, because there should be a big change in FPS.

If you still don't believe me that this is a problem, I can record this problem by my camera and post it here.

@MillhioreF: Ok, thank you. :)
MillhioreF
I've merged your threads together and revived it from Resolved Issues until further review from peppy. Please don't make a new thread about the same thing - bump and ask for a thread revival if you don't have the last post, or PM someone to revive it if you do.
Topic Starter
Xantis
Ok, I think it's time to bump topic.

I'd like to ask If there is possibility to do something with this, because around 1 moth ago, maybe a little longer, there wasn't that difference between FPS at main menu/gameplay and map menu.
lolcubes
Fraps will decrease your frame rate heavily if you don't have a really fast hard drive, no matter what other system specs you have. What settings are you recording on? Cause if you're trying to record anything above 1280x720, expect decrease in FPS (even down to 30) if you are recording into the same hard drive you have your game and fraps on, especially if it's just a regular 7200 rpm drive.
Full Tablet
A 7200rpm hard drive can just barely write that amount of information at the required speed. Make sure that writing is the only thing that the HDD is doing. If you have enough RAM you can create a RAM Disk and copy the osu! folder there (with the beatmaps you are going to play only) so the HDD doesn't have to read while recording.

As for the problem of permanent low fps when entering the map list, you can:
- Record with an osu! folder that doesn't have so many beatmaps.
- Use a recording application that doesn't hook to the Renderer of the game (like Camtasia with Lagarith codec). That way the recording fps is independent of the game's fps.

With a 7200rpm HDD and a RAM Disk, I can record lossless 120fps 900x1600 (which is more than enough quality) with Camtasia+Lagarith while not seeing any big fps drop in the game (~1500fps in game and ~100fps in a song list with 29k beatmaps). I can do that too with Dxtory, but the game's fps drops to ~300, and I haven't tried yet to record the song list with it (maybe I will do that later when I get to use my desktop PC).

Edit: Ok, this problem doesn't happen in Dxtory with Lagarith codec (the fps goes back up when you exit the song menu).
lolcubes
It is possible to record 1920x1080 content but not above 60fps, and this is questionable because sometimes the frames will drop so it will automatically lower it to 30.
I personally use 1280x720 to record my game and my game FPS is around 240 when recording at 60 FPS. I really wouldn't recommend any larger resolution than that, not for a normal hard drive. It is also pretty normal to have menu running at 100ish FPS because the menu has so many details and things to draw. It doesn't affect gameplay though, so I guess that's the reason.

This is all using Fraps, btw.
Topic Starter
Xantis
So, I'm recording in 1440x900, but i checked data rate of my films in 30fps and it was more than half lower than my average hard drive speed. Moreover, i have that problem only while being on map list, when I turn on fraps when i'm starting playing the map, i have from 120 up to 300 FPS while recording. I don't think it is caused by HDD, because even if i don't record anything, i have 3-5x lower FPS at map menu (around 200) than at gameplay or main menu (around 700-1k) and moreover, when i turn all visual options off, I still have 200FPS at map manu, although at main menu or gameplay i have over 2000 FPS.

It is a little stupid for me, because the main problem is, when I turn on fraps to record all things and when i chose map from map menu (with 30FPS while recording) and start the game, FPS doesn't increase, while it should be much higher.