forum

Queue List/Upcoming Song List (Muliplayer and Solo)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
ShadowzI_old
Never saw anyone requested so I'm posting this up.

Reason for the Mod

This is mostly for those who play multiplayer so I'm guessing this won't be the most popular request. Regardless I'm slightly annoyed in multiplayer of the time wasted waiting for someone to choose a song and then having to wait for people to download the resulting map. ALSO I hate how when I enter a room I miss the song that they're playing and not know what's happening with the next song.

What the mod is

As such I thought a simple solution would be to add a queue list in which people outside and inside the room can view so they know what's happening and can systematically download the right maps when playing or before joining.
You know like how the Karaoke queue list works.
Of course there should intermission or break of some sort (unless you swing the nonstop way) controlled by the host.
This should let new people join in or saving grace to those that forgot to download the song when they were playing or those with slow internet connections.

As I said it's mainly a multiplayer feature but I guess it can be implemented into single player as a partylist/playlist of some sort.
As TheoWest suggested this could also in a way be used as link songs together in the form of nonstop osu... (oh boy there goes my weekend)

Longer Description. IGNORE IF READING ENGLISH MANUALS KILLS YOU

Long Ass Description
So the idea is when someone creates a room they can pick 5 or so songs in some order and thus create a playlist of songs to come.
After which is something I would call the intermission(place holder name). They can edit mods for the current song and do all the jazz we usually do when waiting for people or people to finish downloading the song.

Now this list is both viewable in the room and outside. As I said the purpose is for people to download the song ahead of time or to find out if the room is going to play songs that they like.

Once the first song starts and finish we are back to the intermission. Hopefully because of this list, people both outside the room and inside would've downloaded the map ahead of time or knew they were coming into a room with a song they already had.

Now back to the intermission, the host can set a timer (or just hit the start button whenever he/she wants) of some sort; for breaks, chatting, different mod sets, for people to download songs further down the queue list, or just waiting for new people. Of course to allow freedom the host should be able to (if a bit evil) to change the queue list or add more song to the end of the list.

Though not my main purpose this process could be implemented as an Osu playlist for single player or even for seamless nonstop marathon playthroughs.
Nonstop can also be placed for multiplayer but imho I think that's a bad idea considering this would mean everyone would have to download 4-5 maps before the game could start.
theowest

ShadowzI wrote:

You know like how the Karaoke queue list works.
I don't. but from what I can gather from this request, it does sound rather interesting. It's similar to the Nonstop and Endurance Mode request. But this would allow for breaks in-between. An easy accessible list (similar to osu!direct?) of what beatmaps to play which might have some great uses.
This should replace this request IMO: t/15170/ (Play it Later)

Since it must apply to singleplayer, a more generalized "Queue List" title for this topic might be more suitable.
Topic Starter
ShadowzI_old
You don't know what a Karaoke list is?

BLASPHEMY!!
jk Uhh so what it is basically is just a list of songs that are going to pop up.

theowest wrote:

Since it must apply to singleplayer, a more generalized "Queue List" title for this topic might be more suitable.
Now regarding that, the single player is more of an after thought cause my main gripe is multiplayer. It's not like I want multiplayer to have endless osu but I was hoping for something along the lines of "We know what song is coming up next" and "Don't worry I know what songs to download before we begin playing sort of thing".

:) But I see what you mean.
jemhuntr
support, but since you mentioned that this would be similar to a playlist feature, it's gonna be hopeless.

but anyway, there should be a button to show the list of upcoming songs in order and an "Up Next" somewhere in the match room.
TheVileOne
I would prefer a much simpler interface.

Host changes songs: He can then set 3 songs into a priority list via a button or something. At any time he can jump to or cancel a previously selected song or change its position in the list. When the host is finished making his selections (not all slots need to be filled), you go back to the room lobby like normal, and players can then cycle through the song choices.

The host can change the cycle at anytime by dragging the song up or down from the room. A song selection can be changed by selecting the song choice in the list (in the room lobby still), which will bring you to the song like usual. That will select the slot the song is picked at. If the song was at slot 1 then you would be changing the song at slot 1. I'm not sure if it would be feasible to update which slot is being chosen in realtime. It would be a cool idea, but probably wont happen. It would be more likely that changing the song for any slot would bring back up the host is changing songs message for all the slots.

I don't agree with there being intermittent time limits of any sort. The players start via force start or by regular starting. I also do not believe the song list should unlist already played songs. There could be an indicator for songs left in the playlist, and the list would just start at the top after the list ends and the host chooses more songs.

That would be my approach.
Topic Starter
ShadowzI_old

TheVileOne wrote:

The host can change the cycle at anytime by dragging the song up or down from the room. A song selection can be changed by selecting the song choice in the list (in the room lobby still), which will bring you to the song like usual. That will select the slot the song is picked at. If the song was at slot 1 then you would be changing the song at slot 1. I'm not sure if it would be feasible to update which slot is being chosen in realtime. It would be a cool idea, but probably wont happen. It would be more likely that changing the song for any slot would bring back up the host is changing songs message for all the slots.
That was worded better than how I worded it.
Yeah simplicity is the key, all I really want is a list of some sort for foresight and preview of a room's song.

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

support, but since you mentioned that this would be similar to a playlist feature, it's gonna be hopeless.

but anyway, there should be a button to show the list of upcoming songs in order and an "Up Next" somewhere in the match room.
Question, what's problematic about a playlist feature?
Well disregarding that, the solo feature I brought up is more of an afterthought. If anything I would prefer having a simple list in multiplayer over a playlist in single player. But I just listed it to cover all bases so to speak.
Topic Starter
ShadowzI_old
Ran across the need for this again. So bumping it for the last time.
If it's going to die then maybe this idea is only convenient to me :?
Whoops then. It sounded more convenient for multiplayer in my head X.x
deadbeat

ShadowzI wrote:

Ran across the need for this again. So bumping it for the last time.
If it's going to die then maybe this idea is only convenient to me :?
Whoops then. It sounded more convenient for multiplayer in my head X.x
not all valid requests get added after a week. i've got a great one going for over 2 years! you'll just have to wait and see
Sakura
Also: t/35580 Please dont bump a feature request unless it hasn't had replies in a month at least.
eldnl
bump