forum

Uniformity in metadata

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
show more
VoidnOwO
:)
Topic Starter
S o h

BRBP wrote:

Souen- wrote:

The composer for the above song would be also a perfect example of this issue:
不純異性交遊P > FujunniseikouyuP, HujunniseikouyuP, FujuniseikouyuP, FujuniseikouyuuP, HujuniseikouyuuP, HujyuniseikouyuuP, or FujyuniseikouyuuP
Good luck for those Japanese players looking for songs from this particular composer!
val0108, problem solved.
val0108 is not the composer, he is the mapper. If you're looking for a song from the composer, you'd search either the song title, artist, or the composer. You can't magically find out who mapped it, without finding out that the map exists to begin with.

If you're speaking with the context that the player has already found the map from val0108; no, it still doesn't work like that. Just because a mapper mapped a song from this particular composer, it doesn't mean that the same mapper will be the only mapper mapping songs from the same composer.
theowest
You make a great point. I agree with you that we have to standardize the metadata to some degree. This mixed appearance is not very appealing.
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Topic Starter
S o h

BRBP wrote:

Souen- wrote:

val0108 is not the composer, he is the mapper.blahblahblah
You don't say? There's a reason why I quoted only a part of your post.
Please get your hostility out of here. You are not contributing to the discussion in any way.
If you are going to take everything I say out of context, you are just making yourself look dumb.
TheVileOne
Are you saying Japanese players are incapable of finding out how to spell japanese titles in english?

Did you not know that the romanized text is a new addition to the game and older songs did not have this feature? And that using the composer as the Artist is also a new adjustment, and that convention is already uniform. There's little that can be done about older maps unfortunately.
Topic Starter
S o h

TheVileOne wrote:

Are you saying Japanese players are incapable of finding out how to spell japanese titles in english?
No. You're probably unfamiliar with how "spelling Japanese" in "English" works. Letters in Japanese don't have an exact rule when it is written in Romaji. しゅ can be shu or syu, じゅ can be ju or jyu, etc. I already included an example above. It's not impossible to figure out which way it was spelled, but it helps to be able to jump right to the original Japanese form.

Keep in mind that not all languages can be perfectly converted into alphabets.

TheVileOne wrote:

Did you not know that the romanized text is a new addition to the game and older songs did not have this feature?
Unfortunately no, I didn't know that. This doesn't change the fact that everything should become more standardized, older maps especially.

TheVileOne wrote:

And that using the composer as the Artist is also a new adjustment, and that convention is already uniform. There's little that can be done about older maps unfortunately.
How so? This is a request for a change so something could be done. This is a request because little can be done.

I also took a look at some of your beatmaps out of curiosity, and found this:

The original song title is "Okotowari Shimasu", and I see that you included it in the tags.
I really appreciate that, but I wish it also said "さつきがてんこもり - お断りします" here:
TheVileOne
I will fix that. I don't know any Japanese, so it takes people to point that out, and yes i've been meaning to fix the title.
Kuroneko-sHerald
You joined 9 days ago and you are complaining already?

The thing you request is impossible to do now. Maybe this will be fixed when the new osu! format will be released.
And, afaik, the japanese keyboard can write in alphanumeric, so they can search using the Latin keyboard, like thousand of people probably did over the past 5 years.

Until the new format, just play.
Topic Starter
S o h

Kuroneko-sHerald wrote:

The thing you request is impossible to do now. Maybe this will be fixed when the new osu! format will be released.
And, afaik, the japanese keyboard can write in alphanumeric, so they can search using the Latin keyboard, like thousand of people probably did over the past 5 years.

Please re-read my post. Judging from what you just told me, you didn't quite understand what I mentioned.
This is trivial, but I joined more than a month ago.

I would love to receive an explanation for:

1) Why it's impossible to do now.
2) Details of the "new osu! format"
3) Why the ability of Japanese people to be able to type alphanumeric matters(In case you did understand my post, because I'm pretty sure that it was implied that people could type in alphanumeric)
4) Why the amount of time I've been here matters for the validity of my suggestion. Did it really affect the point I was making? Did it really make my suggestion useless?

Until these are answered, I'm going to assume you don't have any intentions of actually helping people.

If you didn't quite understand my post, I will be more than happy to break it down so it's easier to understand for people like you.
VoidnOwO
Topic Starter
S o h

BRBP wrote:

2. Learn to search.
I must be horrible at searching, because I couldn't find anything based on "new osu! format".

BRBP wrote:

You just recently joined, and now you want everyone to bother to make changes to their songs.
No, I don't. I never asked for people that didn't follow the ideal format to change it themselves.

BRBP wrote:

Nobody's saying that this is a bad idea, but is it worth the time it would take?
And here I am, making a request. If the community doesn't seem it's worth it, that's all this idea was worth, and I'm not going to force people into thinking this is a good idea. I thought at least putting the fact that this could be improved should be something.
VoidnOwO
deadbeat
this thread is getting out of hand. if you have nothing constructive to add, please just go go away, or i will just lock this until you can play nice!
Zare
Why are you all so offensive? o.O

He has a point, and it's not his fault not to know what changes were made before he joined.
Kalle_old_1
Nice japanese lesson. Also couldn't this be easily solved by just taking couple of seconds of time to write proper tags instead of just adding the creators name into the beatmap?
Topic Starter
S o h

Kalle wrote:

Nice japanese lesson. Also couldn't this be easily solved by just taking couple of seconds of time to write proper tags instead of just adding the creators name into the beatmap?

I believe that would be a messy solution.
Kuroneko-sHerald

Souen- wrote:

Kuroneko-sHerald wrote:

Please re-read my post. Judging from what you just told me, you didn't quite understand what I mentioned.
This is trivial, but I joined more than a month ago.

I would love to receive an explanation for:

1) Why it's impossible to do now.
2) Details of the "new osu! format"
3) Why the ability of Japanese people to be able to type alphanumeric matters(In case you did understand my post, because I'm pretty sure that it was implied that people could type in alphanumeric)
4) Why the amount of time I've been here matters for the validity of my suggestion. Did it really affect the point I was making? Did it really make my suggestion useless?

Until these are answered, I'm going to assume you don't have any intentions of actually helping people.

If you didn't quite understand my post, I will be more than happy to break it down so it's easier to understand for people like you.
I understood your post, but there are backgrounds that you, obviously, can't known and would require some time to explain it well.
For example, for changing the metadata a BAT should unrank the map, change and re-rank, and many time this can't be done (due to the ranked score).
About 3), I only said that they can search like we all did for now.

I'm not against your suggestion, I just said that you shouldn't think about these things for now, because without the new format (osz2) your request can't be done.
MillhioreF
The new format is called osz2, and once it comes then the metadata can be changed without unranking maps. Be patient for it, and then we can slowly start fixing existing maps to have better metadata - for the moment, there's no good way to fix old metadata, and automatic romanji -> kana conversion isn't possible while still being accurate.
Oinari-sama
Since there's still time till osz2 kicks in, why not take this opportunity to discuss and set a unified format for japanese romanji spelling?

I've watched tons of fan-subbed anime, so I totally understand the spelling ambiguity listed in the OP. The first spelling method "不純異性交遊P > FujunniseikouyuP" is probably the most common spelling used by fan-subbers. This probably has something to do with how "foreign" Japanese learner picked up their typing skill, by referring to one of these:

http://www.coscom.co.jp/learnjapanese801/kanatable/kanatable.html

Why not use a unified table like that (once it's been discussed and agreed upon) for future metadata entries?

For "gana" with multiple spelling (eg shi/si chi/ti) the rule should say "only the first spelling option listed above should be used" etc. That should help minimise confusion to some extend.

Off Topic (?)
I hope this thread, once again, raises awareness that osu is a multi-cultural community. It's important to learn that what is considered as common sense in one culture does not necessarily apply to another.

Interestingly enough, some of you may have already touched on this "input method ambiguity" in another thread not long ago and I've posted some examples to demonstrate that a "pop up box" is required in some languages.

Let's treat cases like this as opportunity to learn, instead of creating conflicts. ;)
Kuroneko-sHerald
About 不純異性交遊P:

Since there is an anime with the same kanji, I think that the correct form should be "FujuniseikouyuuP".

Btw I would also suggest to rely on the Phonetic Spelling on Google Translate, it seems quite accurate.
Compa
Just use google to search for the beatmaps. It can probably come up with the song you're looking for because if you type in Japanese on Google's English search it will automatically be translated to English (If you put "Only English results")No point in doing this. The beatmap search on osu! isn't even that good. (Search for Liquid Future on osu! and search for it on Google. You'll find out that google's better.)