forum

Add Feature Requests for other languages. (CH, KR, JP)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Wishy
As we all know this community is composed, pretty much, of asians (China, Japan, Taiwan and Korea). Usually their English is not good enough to... maybe propose some feature and even the fact that they can't properly speak understand the language may intimidate them to read this sub-forum and even express an opinion, since they won't be able to properly do so. If they had some good idea and wanted to post it, they wouldn't be able to properly explain it, even if they saw something they like getting rejected and have a good idea about how to make it acceptable they wouldn't make it. Since most of us here usually post in... somewhat proper english (if not good one) I can see asians having lots of trouble to even understand any complicated post, driving them away from this.

Wouldn't it be in order to add some feature requests forum for people who speak japanese/chinese/korean? They compose like 80% of the game community at the very least, I guess that something like this could work. Might be a problem since there might be duplicates and we would need new mods to work on those forums. But I don't know I think being them the ones that actually play the game most it feels wrong that they don't get that much space to propose stuff.

Don't know how active their communities itself are tho.
TheVileOne
Can we not use this board for all requests?
Topic Starter
Wishy
Maybe add sub-forums here for other languages?
theowest
No need to create separate sections or anything, we do have a google translation project going on: t/104883/
Many users are using Google translate to get their ideas over to this forum, might not always work out well but at least we're all reading their ideas.

They could just ask someone else to make the request for them or translate their idea.
deadbeat
oh wow. i was just thinking of asking about allowing non english languages in FR just the other day. it might make things a bit harder, but it might mean a less broken english requests that don't make any sense :(
Topic Starter
Wishy
Thing is I don't think it is a problem that they suggest something using broken english, but the very fact that they probably won't even do it since they don't think they're gonna be able to explain it.
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
there has been a lot of feature reqs from chinese players on other place, but we just summon woc2006

some time ago woc or someone else asked people to translate and post reqs/bugs here since asking him woont help, but it seems people are too lazy _(:3 」∠ )_
Oinari-sama

Wishy wrote:

Thing is I don't think it is a problem that they suggest something using broken english, but the very fact that they probably won't even do it since they don't think they're gonna be able to explain it.
And from my observation, those who does make it here (already small in number) and post with broken English are usually treated without much patience and seriousness anyway.

I think it'll be a good idea to have a sub forum for Feature Request in a few major languages to encourage non-English speakers to express their ideas without having to confront with English. If people of other native languages are interested to read those they can opt to use Google Translate on those pages.

I just want to add though, we should encourage those who post in the new sub forums to include their own English translation if they want to challenge themselves. It'll be a good learning experience for all...
Topic Starter
Wishy
As far as I know for people from those countries languages like english are really hard to learn, so it's not like they can just come and learn by using forums. It'll be a good experience but yet I don't think they care about it to begin with.

As Ar3sgice said, even if you encourage them they won't really do it since it's a pain to do so, plus they might not want to look bad because of their english which is completely understandable.

Maybe giving them a sub-forum and then having some mods move popular/supported here using proper english?
deadbeat

Wishy wrote:

Maybe giving them a sub-forum and then having some mods move popular/supported here using proper english?
i'm ok with this
theowest

deadbeat wrote:

Wishy wrote:

i'm ok with this
that sounds like a good idea. gogogo
Oinari-sama
Just curious, how many foreign language speaking mods are there at the moment?
theowest
have a look ucp.php?i=167
Oinari-sama
Oh cool I didn't know you can do that...

Plenty of Chinese speaking BATs from the look of it.

EDIT: Zomg Language Surveillance Division?! So these are the ANBU...

Kitokofox
But with new sub-forums for languages comes a need for moderation. And we also need a median user (or a few) to help translate the perhaps amazing feature requests into English to be seen for peppy. To be honest, I had no problem using Google translate, but it tends to fall short for slang, especially uncommon slang that may leak and replace actual definitions. I mean, automatic tralsators aren't perfect because they are very linear, they won't understand if you slip in an English metaphor into Chinese sometimes.
peppy
I'm happy with feature requests being posted in other languages here. People can reply with english translations if necessary, and the opening thread can be updated.

I guess the main issue is letting people know that they _can_ post in other languages. Not sure of the best way to do this.
Kitokofox
A simple announcement translated to multiple languages that feature requests can be done in any language? (But preferably English) And I guess the announcement can be translated at will by fellow members?

I mean, that's what I would do.
Oinari-sama
My guess is that you'll need some "authoritative figures" to relay the announcements in their respective subforums. eg get Cookeizi/KRZY to post the announcements in the Korean forum, a respected Chinese mod/player to announce in the Chinese forum etc. It should have better effect than someone else unknown to those societies announcing it.

Of course it'll also work if peppy can post in those forums himself (translated announcements) but that requires effort.

As for the "medium," we don't know how much traffic that this new change will bring in. If it's just 1-2 short posts a day it probably could be translated by volunteers quite easily. But as the volume goes up you'll need some sort of delegate to filter and translate the requests.

From what I can see there're quite a few chinese BATs so that shouldn't be hard for the Chinese speaking community. I only saw 1 Korean and 1 Japanese BAT though...
deadbeat
could just update the guidelines, but i don't think enough people read it. maybe a message or some kind when your making your request could appear somewhere saying that your allowed to post in non-english languages or something
Kuroneko-sHerald

deadbeat wrote:

could just update the guidelines, but i don't think enough people read it. maybe a message or some kind when your making your request could appear somewhere saying that your allowed to post in non-english languages or something
But most of people thinks they should write in English (except in the Language forum), so they probably will never try to request something.
TheVileOne
We could just have an announcement in the Feature Request board. It could even be made global for a short time so players can see.
Topic Starter
Wishy
Most people who can't really understand English don't usually read all these forums. Just like we don't go into Korean sub-forums since we can't understand a thing.

Letting them know they can post here in any language by adding an announcement on each respective forum should be fine. After that we could just use some translator to somewhat understand what they are asking for. If that's not good enough, it'd be a chinese/korean/japanese thread until some moderator comes and is able to translate the idea.

Problem would be the title tho. Summarizing some idea in a few words for someone who can barely speak the language is next to impossible. Any of us who frequently reads osu! forums must have seen plenty of times how some asian posts something with a title which is completely impossible to understand, and the only way to get an idea of what the thread is about is getting into it and reading the whole post. So allowing them to post the whole thing in their own language, and then maybe have a moderator edit their post adding an English translation (and if possible the title)?