forum

Older Map Refurbishing?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Tanzklaue
give them the warning if they have a playcount from under 5000 or they play an old map for the first time in their life. it would be pretty annoying for everyone else to get those warnings over and over again.
dkun
I think a warning such as the one located in the beatpacks should be located somewhere in the clients/download pages.

"Also note that it is highly recommended to download the packs from latest to earliest, since the oldest maps are of much lower quality than most recent maps."
Wishy
Agreed.
OnosakiHito
Don't mind me too much.
Oh. My. God. If we Taiko people would have the problem you osu-guys have, every second guy of our race would die because of the nervs he/she has killed.
I can just hope you are never coming up with such crap into our community.

Seriously, grow up and don't make out of everything that is working well or simple such a chaos of despair and hatred because you think it's in your personal view right. It's not the first time that such thread-processes appear(-> weheyhey, Ranking Criteria)
Are you that addicted to have for everything a discussion when you have the chance to?
Stefan
^Best Post so far in this thread.
buny

OnosakiHito wrote:

Don't mind me too much.
Oh. My. God. If we Taiko people would have the problem you osu-guys have, every second guy of our race would die because of the nervs he/she has killed.
I can just hope you are never coming up with such crap into our community.

Seriously, grow up and don't make out of everything that is working well or simple such a chaos of despair and hatred because you think it's in your personal view right. It's not the first time that such thread-processes appear(-> weheyhey, Ranking Criteria)
Are you that addicted to have for everything a discussion when you have the chance to?
attitude like that is what keeps people away from taiko community.

also i dont think old maps is problem because a lot of new players will download off the first page of songs
only a small portion of maps is really bad
Stefan

buny wrote:

How wrong.
buny
guess i'm the only 1 who doesn't want to be in a community where i cannot express opinion.
Wishy
Taiko has several issues which have never been properly solved which is why it's a small community compared to standard. From the point they never did much about solving the problem where maps are either unplayable for newcomers or just too easy, even basic problems are still there because they don't bitch about it.

That's how you get a very small community.
Stefan

Wishy wrote:

From the point they never did much about solving the problem where maps are either unplayable for newcomers or just too easy, even basic problems are still there because they don't bitch about it.
Maybe I understand it wrong, but do you mean that we, the Taiko player don't really care about the Mode itself?
Kanye West

Stefan wrote:

Wishy wrote:

From the point they never did much about solving the problem where maps are either unplayable for newcomers or just too easy, even basic problems are still there because they don't bitch about it.
Maybe I understand it wrong, but do you mean that we, the Taiko player don't really care about the Mode itself?
No it's not that, I think he's trying to say that the taiko community as a whole is inflexible to change and doesn't really address its problems.
Winshley
Need to be reminded that maps older than mid-2010 has OD and AR not being able to be set independently, because both are at a single setting. This is also the reason why people chosen high OD when they actually wanted to set high AR alone.

Looking back at the original Nintendo DS game of "Elite Beat Agents" (the US version), the AR on last map and hardest difficulty of the game actually is around AR9. The mappers probably wanted to make maps similar to that because they wanted to make it "authentic".

EDIT: Another reason is that people might think that "high difficulty setting" = hard map, so they simply set it high anyway.
dkun

buny wrote:

oh how right you are sir
OnosakiHito

Wishy wrote:

Taiko has several issues which have never been properly solved which is why it's a small community compared to standard. From the point they never did much about solving the problem where maps are either unplayable for newcomers or just too easy, even basic problems are still there because they don't bitch about it.

That's how you get a very small community.
- Offtopic
Think about it once again what you said and who is actually preventing us going forward and why we are not flexible. But that's not the topic here.
Anyway, the point is that you guys are talking too much about unimportant stuff, which change has no real effect at all.
Or you just make everything way to complicated for stuff which works fine as it is.
- Your topic
My god, old maps have not the current standarts of nowadays maps. Let's die because of that.
They are still a part of osu's history so why don't you leave it how it is? You are worried that beginners play those maps first and that's why the maps should be changed? I doubt it that so many beginner are going to find the old maps that easy and I won't count the reasons for it. It is obviously.
Right now it is easier to find old maps by Achievements. Maybe start here first.
- Kitokofox topic
Not to mention that most of you guys are missing the topic. Kitokofox mentioned a bit different point than you do.
While he is suggesting to push up the maps style, you are discussing as in every other third topic about the mapping it-self.
Of course it is somehow conected to the current topic, but meter long posts, seriously? Before you discuss about this, it would be advicable to check out if ANYONE would even go to change the maps, else you are just discussing here to convince the other people of your own opinion.

I like your though if I'm honest Kitokofox. It is a bunch of work and I wonder if anyone would even do this. But I can at least say, that a map looks better when there is a nice style included. It is fact that playing a map with BG/SB is different as without and can give a bit better view of the map(it's a rule in real lifes advertisment for example).
Timing is a problem, but that's why we have this thread: p/282117
So I do wonder why no one is posting there if it is such a big issue. It would be the first step making the old maps 'better'.

Anyway, it's not like there were no good ideas mentioned before, like by lolcubes.
Yuzeyun

Wishy wrote:

my 2 cents
Maybe because standard maps shouldn't stick to taiko playability?
Maybe because Taiko appeared in 2008 in osu? (I'm unsure of that date)

Our community is smaller why ?
Because it's not the main mode here. It's one consequent mode who has struggled to have their own mapsets ranked.

Unplayable maps in Taiko mode, lel. Are you talking about those app/unranked maps or S.C.M.* ones?
Do I have to throw some cases of unplayable standard maps ? I've never seen you bitch about that, because you're better. I could bitch about Freedom Dive or MATZcore too, because I can't play them in standard.

The main point of this thread is to improve the looks of old maps. I don't think this is a good idea either, some give us a funny challenge (Where some values could be set on CS for example) or to become nostalgic. Some of the rules set now didn't even exist at all back then. Those maps make us aware of those changes, it's a part of history. You'd not want to have fake data about your country's history, I'm sure.

*SCM = standard converted maps
Aqo
The map ranking is not a nostalgia museum. It's a group of maps that provide ranking to be used for the purposes of this game's ranking mechanism.
There is no excuse to keep maps with blatantly glaring issues such as /bpm that doesn't even match the song/ ranked. No matter how you look at it, they're unfit for being ranked.

It seems like over the course of the thread people forgot what's the difference between ranked and unranked.
Stefan
Your Sight =/= everyone's sight =/= someone's sight

If you want it so much, why are you still talking with us and PMing peppy instead? If you think that the Maps before 2009/08 has to follow the current ranking criterias, then go write him a PM.
GoldenWolf

Aqo wrote:

There is no excuse to keep maps with blablastuff

that's only your opinion
Loves
Final conclusion.

We are allowed to re-time the map and hitsounds but not allowed to move the circles or change the difficulty/AR/OD, but allowed to change the CS.

Now can we lock this thread already?
lolcubes

Lily-Kun wrote:

Final conclusion.

We are allowed to re-time the map and hitsounds but not allowed to move the circles or change the difficulty/AR/OD, but allowed to change the CS.

Now can we lock this thread already?
It is still not your work. Such things may be considered map stealing and is punishable. Depends on the map creator though, if they allow it.

Everyone is free to remap the songs. The current ones will stay as they are, and if you refer to certain other topics peppy stated that timings will eventually be fixed, one way or another.

This will now conclude this thread because eveything has been said already pretty much. If you want some features that you would want to have added about this matter, there is a more suitable forum for that: 4