forum

Older Map Refurbishing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kitokofox
Well, I took a look at some of the older ranked maps in osu! and thought that they could look nicer with a few small things here.
So, I thought some of us could take time to refurbish these old maps a little, like give them more accurate timing, maybe a nice BG, or a storyboard even! We won't have to derank them, they will still remain their legacy with their mapping style and difficulty. They'll just look nicer along with the more improved osu! of today. :)

But yeah, I don't know if anyone else is with me on this, or who would help do this sort of thing. I mean, there's a lot of maps made by various people, it's not exactly possible to take someone's map and help improve it to clean up osu! because the maps simply aren't made by us. We need permission first I guess..
Oinari-sama
What happens if the map maker is no longer with us? Can someone else take ownership?
Jesss

Kitokofox wrote:

Well, I took a look at some of the older ranked maps in osu! and thought that they could look nicer with a few small things here.
So, I thought some of us could take time to refurbish these old maps a little, like give them more accurate timing, maybe a nice BG, or a storyboard even! We won't have to derank them, they will still remain their legacy with their mapping style and difficulty. They'll just look nicer along with the more improved osu! of today. :)

But yeah, I don't know if anyone else is with me on this, or who would help do this sort of thing. I mean, there's a lot of maps made by various people, it's not exactly possible to take someone's map and help improve it to clean up osu! because the maps simply aren't made by us. We need permission first I guess..
Instead of that...it's better to remap the song with an entirely new difficulty,new map author, etc submitting as a new beatmap...and if your idea takes importance, then deranking would still be imperative to make changes and check quality control for any beatmap.
Loves
Its part of osu! legacy to leave maps prior to 2010 as they are.
Even though they lack the qualities of todays top maps, they serve as a reminder of how much this game has progressed.
Topic Starter
Kitokofox
I didn't know there was a legacy rule here.

But it was just a thought I was throwing out there, that it would be nice to have a cleaner osu!. And if there are mappers out there who still have their after-2010 maps that could use even a slight improvement, like an offset change or a nice BG, they probably could take a little time to do that. I mean, there's ways to change up the map without the need of modding processes, like making the background not blend in with the notes, fixing the BPM a little..

Perhaps I'm barking into a gulch by suggestign all this, but it's worth a thought at least..
Aqo
Give up Kitokofox, I already tried. For some awkward reason people want to keep those awful maps ranked.

~Moving on is hard~

the "keep them ranked since people worked hard to score on them" argument doesn't stand anymore either because the current ranking system makes old scores progressively lose value, so their value is moot anyway. Whatever skills you gained from retrying those maps stays with you, and the scores themselves are already losing their significance. And "those maps are still good" doesn't work for the completely off timed ones, which is plenty.
Mismagius
Some people just have different opinions and Aqo doesn't seem to understand that.
Sync

Aqo wrote:

Give up Kitokofox, I already tried. For some awkward reason people want to keep those awful maps ranked.

~Moving on is hard~

the "keep them ranked since people worked hard to score on them" argument doesn't stand anymore either because the current ranking system makes old scores progressively lose value, so their value is moot anyway. Whatever skills you gained from retrying those maps stays with you, and the scores themselves are already losing their significance. And "those maps are still good" doesn't work for the completely off timed ones, which is plenty.
how would you feel if you came back to this game several years later to find out that your work was changed without you knowing?
Vish024

Lily-Kun wrote:

Its part of osu! legacy to leave maps prior to 2010 as they are.
Even though they lack the qualities of todays top maps, they serve as a reminder of how much this game has progressed.
Could not agree more with this. These "older maps" are a part of osu!'s history and don't deserve to be tampered with. If you don't like them or enjoy them then the solution is simple: don't play them.

Aqo wrote:

~Moving on is hard~

We'd appreciate it if you'd kindly go be narcissistic elsewhere.
Aqo

Sync wrote:

how would you feel if you came back to this game several years later to find out that your work was changed without you knowing?
Maybe I'm weird but, had I seen old maps of mine that are no longer up to par with today's standards getting unranked I'd be fine with that.
In fact I've seen several other mappers openly wishing and writing in chat that they'd wish they had an option to delete some of their older ranked maps, as they believe their quality no longer represents mapping today.

That said, I respect different people's different views on the matter, but if you're going to be objective on this then it's a double edged standard when you're keeping those old maps ranked and meanwhile forcing current time mappers to do certain adjustments to their maps or else not allowing them to get ranked. It's really cute to say that this is being "unfair" to people of the past but, at the moment, you're being unfair to people of the present.
JappyBabes
let's compromise and let tag be app/rankable again.
MillhioreF

JappyBabes wrote:

silmarilen
you dont HAVE to play the maps if you dont like them.
just leave them be and playing something you do enjoy
deadbeat
This thread makes me sad
Wishy
Only thing I don't support about old maps is that some newbies join the game, search for some songs, end up playing 2008 maps and then quit because "wtf this doesn't make sense". Not making this up or just assumiing, I have several friends who tried out this game and quit, tried again a few years months and they were like "oh maps are way better now, couldn't play this at all lol it was so bad, these new maps are better". Even newbies can understand a map is bad when it is bad timed or doesn't make much sense.

Maybe make something so that doesn't happen? Remember only people who may be actually troubled about old maps bad quality are those who don't really understand that they don't represent the game at all.
Aqo

silmarilen wrote:

you dont HAVE to play the maps if you dont like them.
Again, the same could be said for maps today.
Certain modding for the recent ranked map 'The Creator' has made a lot of long-time fav'ers of the map from its time in pending no longer like it. Why was this modding forced upon the map? If you don't like it, they don't play it. The map WAS fine, but for some reason it wasn't allowed to get ranked.

So, mappers today have to take the hose? But you "respect" old mappers, even that half of what they did wasn't even correct? I'm not talking about the famous old maps that come to your mind when you think of old maps, a ton of old maps suffer from serious issues on a very basic level like /bpm and offset that doesn't even match the song/ and yet apparently it's "fine because it's part of osu's history".

What.

If you want to be right, then don't take double standards.

Wishy wrote:

Only thing I don't support about old maps is that some newbies join the game, search for some songs, end up playing 2008 maps and then quit because "wtf this doesn't make sense".
also +1 to this. this is soooooo true. I know more than 20 different people who tried osu and quit it simply because they started the game by looking in search for songs that they knew, ended up finding old maps for them and playing those, and quickly dropping interest in the game.
A veteran player has no issue finding maps when they're unranked, so if an old ranked map gets unranked it won't stop you from still playing it or hosting it in mp and so on, but why does it still deserve to be ranked when it -doesn't even meet ranking criteria- ?

JappyBabes wrote:

It would be nice if certain maps were moved to a different criteria for "old ranked, no longer today ranked", maybe not call it "Approved" but instead "Legacy" maps or whatever.
Tanzklaue
why change something that doesn't need change? most people won't play old maps, and those who do are either determined to play them or they have fun. everyone is happy. why is there even a discussion?
theowest
At least adding in a background wouldn't hurt that much. As long as everyone can agree on that it's a decent one.
Lapis-
If you find a old song, just remap it with new diff's that match 2013's standards? As we obviously see, 2 beatmaps+ for one song is common practice, so you could just remap the song and thus have 2 versions, the old and the new? Making everyone happy because old maps still get to stay, and we have a more modern beat map of the song?

Just my 2C
Mismagius

theowest wrote:

At least adding in a background wouldn't hurt that much. As long as everyone can agree on that it's a decent one.
This is actually possible and would be a nice idea.
show more