forum

Multiplayer "free play"

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +8,259
show more
quaternary
YESYESYES

I'm throwing stars at you next time I get some.

The only problem is that it is possible for a terrible Insane run to beat a Easy SS by virtue of there being more notes. So I think "score" should'nt be allowed in this mode.
I can see a few better win conditions for this mode however: miss count? percent of max score?

But there is a problem with Skip. I know Clint Eastwood has an Easy ~45 seconds shorter than the Hard, and then there's things like the Megamix where skipping is required...

huh.
raww_old

Dark Accelerator wrote:

peppy wrote:

One major issue with this is that some people map easy difficulties (for example) to be much shorter than their harder counterparts. Which would cause a huge delay at the end of the map.
I can only think in three ideas (some mentioned above I think xP):
1) Disable the option when the difficulties have different length

2) Block the difficulty that has different duration. For example:http://osu.ppy.sh/s/1752
Easy (1:51)
Normal (3:19)
Hard (3:19)
Expert (3:19)

3) The difficulties have to be of the same length as the difficulty who the host chose

someone else can contribute with others ideas? pls
Any of these would suffice, would love to see this in-game so I could play with friends who are new to the game. +support!
_noone_
<>
Consciously
do good idea but if it were a song that is not ready,and one of its difficulties this half? as is would play?
raww_old

Keyone94 wrote:

i dont have any example maps but
there are 30+min maps supporting full albums with 10+ different songs beeing played at 10 different times in the map
what about these maps?

a lot of maps have like
Normal (2:10)
Hard (2:15)
Insane(2:25)
so you would disable them cause of 5 sec?
and only beeing able to use the function on some maps on some diffs isn't the solution here
then people will start switching through maps in multi to find some fitting the system
and some maps will be played more often than others
There would obviously be a cap to when a song should not be included. Waiting 10 seconds after playing your difficulty isn't that big of a deal (would be nice with an interface description like: "Your song finished first. Time before other player(s) are finished: 00:10..")

So songs with like 10 seconds time difference would still be pickable. (but songs with like 30 seconds time difference would not.)

I'm pretty certain that the majority of songs have the same time anyway. If not, I still wouldn't mind waiting 30 seconds after playing my song, as long as I have an indication on the screen.
Krunschy
To me the different beatmap time problem isn't that much of a deal in exchange for such a nice feature. Also what could be an option is to disable this "free play" if there is a huge gap beetween beatmap lenghts or atleast tell the game host with a message at the right bottom of the screen.
Despite this issue this a feature I would sure love to see in the near future. :D

Edit: Another option could be to let the player with the shorter beatmap join in to the longer one. Of course this would mean that the map is too challenging for him but better tha letting him get bored. Letting the player spectate the still playing one is another way it could be done.
boat
Because of said map length difference issue double time is not available in free mods. I don't quite understand your suggestion nonetheless, you're proposing an option for everyone to play the beatmap they want to? What would be the point of that?
Kalle_old_1
+Support :)
Darkrai
I love this idea, it would let me play with my friends without them having to suffer through harder songs. :)
raww_old

XarcZai wrote:

I love this idea, it would let me play with my friends without them having to suffer through harder songs. :)
yep. hate forcing friends to play really hard maps, and playing easy shit is boring for me :c
Kemdo
This seems like a really great Idea ^^

+Support
washedupplayer
Support
- Marco -
Support with 4 stars
Alex311360
Support :P
LooneX_old_1
Support.
Renske_old
Only if the difficulties are the same length(and mp3) of course.
Good idea!
Squid
Probably one of the few ideas that would be really beneficial to the game. Take my stars
ExtremelyAvg
This is genius. +12
happy420
This is a nice idea, take my support please :3
JAKACHAN

peppy wrote:

One major issue with this is that some people map easy difficulties (for example) to be much shorter than their harder counterparts. Which would cause a huge delay at the end of the map.
Couldn't it always just be disabled if a map has too much of a difference between difficulty lengths? I mean I wouldn't mind listening to a song for 60 seconds if someone was playing a higher difficulty but if it's a 5 minute difference then it would get old.
Ookami
Support :P I'm tired of not being able to play with my friends.
Seijiro
You have my support. For me it's always enjoyable to play with some friends that haven't my rank nether my ability yet, but it's boring for the same reason for me, so this could be a nice solution. In my opinion the multiplaying is only for fun: there's no point in beating those under your rank.
valar

MagicalReing7913 wrote:

-Allows people from different ability levels to still play together.
Or does it? You would not be playing the same map. - but then again.. merely having the option may not do any harm :|
Aposke

-valar- wrote:

MagicalReing7913 wrote:

-Allows people from different ability levels to still play together.
Or does it? You would not be playing the same map. - but then again.. merely having the option may not do any harm :|
I feel the same about this. It's not really "playing together" anymore, since you'd only be playing against those people who chose the same difficulty as you.
There's 3 major concerns I have with this idea:

1) This option is kind of pointless. All it does is divide the players in one room according to difficulties, i.e. "who plays against whom". The exact same effect can be reached by just opening a room with [Easy and Normal only] or something in the name – stronger players will stay out (or put on mods) while the weaker ones can still enjoy their game.

2) Having a seperate, dedicated option like that might discourage players from trying to get better. Instead, they might try out harder difficulties once or twice, get last place and just "retreat" to easier diffs again (this already happens anyways, but adding this distinctive option definitely won't make it better).

3) It segments the playing community further. We already have rooms dedicated to different difficulties, why have rooms that themselves are again segmented into different difficulty classes?

I thought the inclusion of the "Free Mods" option was really brilliant, but this just seems unnecessary afterwards.
Vuelo Eluko

Aposke wrote:

2) Having a seperate, dedicated option like that might discourage players from trying to get better. Instead, they might try out harder difficulties once or twice, get last place and just "retreat" to easier diffs again (this already happens anyways, but adding this distinctive option definitely won't make it better).
hey i still join rooms with talent shredder or something else i can't hardly keep up with playing even though i always fail. at least none of the time have any of the other players berated me for being sucky. People are pretty encouraging in multiplayer. I'd think if someone wanted to get beat in multiplayers to try to get better, truly wanted to, they could do it without too much to worry about.

But the reason I like this threads idea is the vast majority of multiplayers are easy-hard [like 85% of them really] and a lot of them are good songs that i'd like to play on insane and have some fun but.. there's just no way other than hosting and hoping people join :) but me and a lot of other people just want to bring up the lobby and join a game. Hey, with this, maybe even Quick Join will be a viable button to press!

Give hosts the ability to opt out of other people doing it also, like free mods.
Aposke

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

But the reason I like this threads idea is the vast majority of multiplayers are easy-hard [like 85% of them really] and a lot of them are good songs that i'd like to play on insane and have some fun but.. there's just no way other than hosting and hoping people join :) but me and a lot of other people just want to bring up the lobby and join a game. Hey, with this, maybe even Quick Join will be a viable button to press!
Really? I've had the exact opposite experience. I occasionally run a Hard/Insane room, and when I put on insane maps that are notorious for their difficulty (or when I put any song on with DT) I almost always see 1 or 2 very highly ranked players join. If you want a specific audience in your room, I think it's important to know which maps draw which kinds of players. One time, someone joined, requested host, changed the map to Banned Forever and, within the next minute, the room was full of Top-10000 players.
I feel like that's important, too – having reasons to distinguish between rooms. If difficulty can just be set arbitrarily, what reason do you have to stay in the room after you've played that one map that you joined for because it was already in your library?
Oinari-sama

Aposke wrote:

I feel the same about this. It's not really "playing together" anymore, since you'd only be playing against those people who chose the same difficulty as you.
There's 3 major concerns I have with this idea:

1) This option is kind of pointless. All it does is divide the players in one room according to difficulties, i.e. "who plays against whom". The exact same effect can be reached by just opening a room with [Easy and Normal only] or something in the name – stronger players will stay out (or put on mods) while the weaker ones can still enjoy their game.

3) It segments the playing community further. We already have rooms dedicated to different difficulties, why have rooms that themselves are again segmented into different difficulty classes?

I thought the inclusion of the "Free Mods" option was really brilliant, but this just seems unnecessary afterwards.
Those are overly negative opinions.

The "free play" is most useful when used amongst friends of different strengths. A higher ranked player can still host a "Beginner Room" as a training sessions for friends & others and this request can spare him the boredom of playing lower difficulty.

Just as people are free to choose whatever mod they want to use, I don't see how this request will segregate the community further. At the end of the day, it's up to the players to decide who/what they want to achieve and they should be given the freedom to choose.
loldcraft
Yes, much support

Regarding the skip times/different length issues:
SPOILER
Simply add it such that after you finished early, you get to see your scoreboard, and anyone still left playing will still have the "[playing]" tag (same as a in progress multiplayer room) the host can then choose to either force start or wait for him to finish.

I know it makes it "not playing the same thing together" already, but we ARE talking about different difficiulties anyway

Regarding scoring and score placing:
SPOILER
Score should not be unranked, I would say have an option to play unranked but that's been shot down many times...
The placing should work like this: at the sidebar (scoreboard) display the person's actual score and combo, but rank by how many percent of maximum score the person has achieved. It IS unfair, but many other games (jubeat, sound voltex, IIDX...) all allow you to match players of two different difficiulties together, and since their maximum score for each map is the same, players are ranked based on "percent of maximum score" achieved

Cleatis wrote:

I've been getting some friends into osu, and doing 2 star maps gets really boring. This is just what we need, support.
Had that too, and its especially hard when you end up having to quit before the end before people ask "HOW DID YOU GET THAT SS?" after looking at your profile and you have to answer "easy modo..."
RustedFencepost
This is a great idea and would love to play with my newer friends like this, but I highly doubt this can be applied.

Each difficulty can changes a lot of things, such as (but not limited to) the mp3 and length of song. Having more than 1 difficulty in the same room would almost be the same as having more than one song in the room, which would probably be weird for the programming.

So even though this seems like an amazing idea that would help a ton of people have fun with more friends, rather than just the people on the same skill level, it seems kinda weird from the game point of view.
Santeri
From my experiences, free mods have been great and this'd be really unneccessary in my opinion.
Nyari

Santeri[P] wrote:

From my experiences, free mods have been great and this'd be really unneccessary in my opinion.
uh, this is about different difficulties and not mods.
Dope
i don't know if this has been pointed out yet; some songs vary in duration with each difficulty
Oinari-sama

Dope wrote:

i don't know if this has been pointed out yet; some songs vary in duration with each difficulty
You obviously didn't read through the thread at all
Wafu
I support this, it could be good for newbies.
ksg
I really like the idea. Got a few friends myself whom I have just recently talked into playing this game, and would love to play with them. Playing easy/normal maps knowing I could FC the insane is very frustrating and boring. It would definitely not be a VS-type multiplayer mode, but simply a fun, casual way to help a new player practice while still having a good time.
Loadsa support.
- Marco -

[-MrSergio-] wrote:

You have my support. For me it's always enjoyable to play with some friends that haven't my rank nether my ability yet, but it's boring for the same reason for me, so this could be a nice solution. In my opinion the multiplaying is only for fun: there's no point in beating those under your rank.
why not count as a play like you do in solo?oh get it now ._.

support
FireFoxZX
this would work however different maps=different amount of beats

it would not be able to be competitive if it were the person with the best difficulty and most skill would win ALWAYS this is very exploitable

(i like it and approve it but some things need to be fixed)
Mango
yesyesyes

The one thing that could come into effect is some songs change in length depending on difficulty. I'm pretty sure it happens with this song:

\マトリョシカ - Matryoshka

Insane Mode goes on a couple of seconds longer than the other modes , which will lead to some finishing earlier than other depending on mode. Still if you cpuld find a way around this or even not and just make it have to be dealt with, I totally + this!
Kevin Lichterinck
This idea is good for old players to invite friends to join osu!
HybriDefiance
Support, I have friends who are both far above and far below my skill level, it'd be nice to be able to play with them without anyone getting bored or overwhelmed. Playing with DT and/or HR and/or HD and/or playing lefthanded only does so much.
show more