forum

Don't auto-close #spectator when spectators leave [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +63
show more
TheVileOne
I wouldn't mind this, but I think it will be denied. Keeping #spectator open requires an extra connection with bancho. It takes extra resources to keep #spectator open, because it's essentially creating a server side room in which people can join. It would be wasteful if people could just leave #spectator open when it's not being used.

Edit: ignorant post
fabriciorby

TheVileOne wrote:

I wouldn't mind this, but I think it will be denied. Keeping #spectator open requires an extra connection with bancho. It takes extra resources to keep #spectator open, because it's essentially creating a server side room in which people can join. It would be wasteful if people could just leave #spectator open when it's not being used.
keeping #spectator connected requires an extra connection with bancho, i guess it can stay opened and not connected at all, just like when you chat with somebody that dc 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

and sorry i have 0 vote(s) remaining :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Wishy
I support this and I will use a lot of emoticons to prove it.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Chat also disappears sometimes when you're spectating someone and he retries, annoying as fuck too.
Ephemeral

TheVileOne wrote:

you've gone and made these massive assumptions again man, please stop doing this.

this is a fair request and i might have a look at it after i iron out a few AiMod extensions in the coming weeks
TheVileOne

Ephemeral wrote:

TheVileOne wrote:

you've gone and made these massive assumptions again man, please stop doing this.

this is a fair request and i might have a look at it after i iron out a few AiMod extensions in the coming weeks
If I had not made such assumptions would you have posted?

Anyways yes that was how I assumed how it worked. I don't have the code to look at so what else do I have to work with. peppy said the reason spectator didn't open #spectator right away when you immediately joined was to avoid unnecessary rooms from being created. I think it was a fair assumption to think there was a server side reason for this decision, because who cares if #spectator opens clientside and wastes resources.
Wishy
It's common sense actually that opening a tab can be made in a way that it doesn't create a connection, otherwise anyone could lag osu as fuck opening 99999999999999 PM windows. Not that I think that could really lag at all.
Ephemeral
if something opens clientside and occupies space that it shouldn't really need, the client tends to care about it. just saying.
theramdans
A good thing, I dont like my very private message sent to #osu or other channels because the #spectator tab closes right away after I send the message..>.<

Support ~~
Cataku
YES.

It just closed on me when spectating. AGAIN. Mad.
"WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE YET?!"
This should most definitely be on top of the list. Linking the topic to every osu! player I know... Wish I had any votes left T_T
Tear
Yup, she just linked me .-.
have 5 stars, want.
Flanster
To be honest a better idea is to warn the user that the spectator tab will be gone in about 10 seconds before it closes.
benguin

Lolicore Flandre wrote:

To be honest a better idea is to warn the user that the spectator tab will be gone in about 10 seconds before it closes.
It won't bog down bancho or anything by keeping it up, I don't see why it can't be up indefinitely. Anyways, +1 support.
Cataku

Lolicore Flandre wrote:

Doesn't work when one of you crashes. That's the main problem... .-.
(like in the posted examples)
Staiain
YES, all these awkward situations from the player going offline then hitting enter.....
Luna
yes yes yes yes yes
HildasXD
Support!!!!!
Beatmaps somtimes load failed while I was downloading 2↑ maps. I must cancel spectate him and restart , so I don't want the #spectator auto-closes Even though I've stopped the spectating! :(
Cataku
Why is this great request dying D:
HildasXD

Cataku wrote:

Why is this great request dying D:
+1...I like this :(
Dexus
I'm upset #spectator auto closes. I wish I could auto close #lobby instead. I'm almost tempted to pump my 190 votes into this but I feel that would be unnecessary.

Edit:
added support
HildasXD
I think this is really good! :(
KingisNitro
Yeah this gets really annoying... especially when a friend is watching me and we talk there and suddenly it auto-closes and then doesn't open so we cannot talk there...

Definitely supporting.
_noone_
<>
Saoji
Sounds good. :)
peppy
Fixed.
deadbeat
yay \:D/
Dexus

deadbeat wrote:

yay \:D/