forum

Bonus PP for good UR.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +95
Topic Starter
mapts
This is a rhythm game and one of the best indicators of whether you are playing rhythmically is the unstable rate. Whenever I feel like I've made a good play worthy of rank it often has good UR, I think it would be neat to be rewarded for that. The amount of PP could scale with the overall rhythmic density of the map as to not overvalue PP maps, and of course, it would be only a small increase in PP. I understand that as it stands now it might be difficult to incorporate but I think it would increase the legitimacy of PP being a fair ranking system for a rhythm game.
Corne2Plum3
nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono

It's unbalanced because for the same score and same play you have differents PP amounts.
Lights
Big agree, but i'd imagine this kind of change will never be implemented. Rhythm is just an after-thought to most players of this rhythm game.
abraker
I see this happening in mania and taiko

For that to happen in std there needs to be a push for acc > combo, which is gonna happen as soon as pigs can fly
Topic Starter
mapts

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono

It's unbalanced because for the same score and same play you have differents PP amounts.
That's great though, it provides more competitive-ness in rankings and against yourself, as even with an SS it still gives you room to improve.
Not to mention it wouldn't be the same play, every play has a different UR and someone with a 60 UR probably was more comfortable and skilled at the map than someone with a 120 UR
DeletedUser_5153421
It's probably better to think about this in a different way. A better question is do we need OD to be higher than 10 to be able to reward people with phenomenal acc? This is also an issue because UR isn't saved if the replay isn't saved. So all plays w/unsaved replays on the server will be an average amount, and unrepresentative of the actual system of rewarding good UR.
Or perhaps be stricter about how much acc you need to get better pp? Acc is barely rewarded in the PP system, as top plays of some are littered with low acc plays.
abraker

icytors wrote:

A better question is do we need OD to be higher than 10 to be able to reward people with phenomenal acc? This is also an issue because UR isn't saved if the replay isn't saved.
It can be saved if there is a feature request for it to be saved. Also acc changes based on OD - it would require extra calc behind the scenes to convert acc from each OD so that they can be compared to determine what pp worth a play should have. It would make more sense to use UR because that is a more absolute metric for how precisely you hit.

For example 99% on OD 8 would be roughly same as 95% on OD 10, but have the same UR. Why make the pp calculator do extra processing?
DeletedUser_5153421

abraker wrote:

icytors wrote:

A better question is do we need OD to be higher than 10 to be able to reward people with phenomenal acc? This is also an issue because UR isn't saved if the replay isn't saved.
It can be saved if there is a feature request for it to be saved. Also acc changes based on OD - it would require extra calc behind the scenes to convert acc from each OD so that they can be compared to determine what pp worth a play should have. It would make more sense to use UR because that is a more absolute metric for how precisely you hit.

For example 99% on OD 8 would be roughly same as 95% on OD 10, but have the same UR. Why make the pp calculator do extra processing?
If UR was a better metric for calculating accuracy, why isn't it used instead of accuracy in the first place? The current system is more lenient on acc sliders, so for now it's much better for calculating actual accuracy. I think you're onto something here, though... it's a good point.

When I said phenomenal acc I was talking about cases where they SS'd the map OD10 with exceptionally low UR. I was thinking maybe OD10 would be too easy for some players and maybe OD would go up to 11 or 12 w/HR but very narrowly, similar to ARw/DT but a little more lenient, just to make it less competitive for spin2win instances on 4-6* leaderboards that's fairly common. (HR+OD10=OD11) It would start at around OD6 (HR+OD6=OD10.#).
abraker

icytors wrote:

If UR was a better metric for calculating accuracy, why isn't it used instead of accuracy in the first place?
Offset doesn't matter in UR, so you can't use UR to calculate accuracy. Like if you consistently hit late or early, UR wouldn't change. It only measures how spread out your hits are. It's basically standard deviation times 10. Meanwhile accuracy is basically the average.

Red curve would have poor acc but good UR, blue curve would have good acc but poor UR
DeletedUser_5153421

abraker wrote:

Offset doesn't matter in UR, so you can't use UR to calculate accuracy. Like if you consistently hit late or early, UR wouldn't change. It only measures how spread out your hits are.
I guess I get why UR isn't used if you'd only know how far away it is from the offset... and if you were to try to tell by how far away the mean UR is from the center of accuracy and it'd half to recalculate each time a new timing point is used as well, but not impossible. 100/50 accuracy doesn't change based on whether you hit late or early either tho, just how early/late.
roufou
can't imagine the majority of people having fun grinding UR for pp. Not nearly as appealing as just getting an SS and calling it quits. I don't really like the idea, as it will probably just be another (imo unnecessary) source of imbalance.

edit: I don't really feel like UR deserves more pp than an SS either, I honestly feel like it just encourages getting lucky runs moreso than encouraging skill. The exception being if the map has really low OD in the first place, which it probably shouldn't have.

edit2: it'd probably be a little difficult to implement too without making easier maps give more pp than they should, considering you can get a lot lot less UR on them. I think it's just an unnecessary add-on making pp more difficult to balance.
abraker

femboy mapper wrote:

can't imagine the majority of people having fun grinding UR for pp. Not nearly as appealing as just getting an SS and calling it quits. I don't really like the idea, as it will probably just be another (imo unnecessary) source of imbalance.
There will be a group of people that will be acc farmers. Such exists in mania, it will translate to std. It's not uncommon for people to try to farm for 80 UR or less if it means higher reward. But I agree about the imbalance part too, and unfortunately it's unclear how to balance acc difficulty. It's easy to fall into a situation where very low UR on 2 star maps would give more pp than ok UR on 6 star maps.