forum

Keyboard Stats

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bells
Hai ^.^

I've wanted to get a great keyboard but I had no idea what keyboard to get. So I, in search, did what was suggested and I looked through the other threads and came to one simple conclusion.... I still have no idea what keyboard I want and what switches I should be using. Now while I realise that this is an entirely subjective matter I would like to approach it in a more statistical manner. Kind of like a sesus if you will.

I've taken the liberty of reading through those threads and coalating the information I've found in them and placed them here. As people respond to this thread I will update it further. I'd like to know from a statistical standpoint what everyone uses and why they use it.

If you happen to use Red switches, tell me why you like them, if you use Blue switches, tell me what you like about them.

All I basically want to know is:

1. What keyboard are you using
2. What switches does it use
3. Why you prefer those switches to others you may have tried

I have gathered the following stats so far:

Keyboards:
SPOILER
Razer Blackwiddow: 31 [Blue]
[Razer]
Steelseries 6gV2 : 5 [Black]
[6gV2]
DAS Model S: 4 [Blue/Brown]
[DAS Model S]
Cherry G80-3x: 3 [Red/Blue]
[Cherry]
Filco Majestouch: 9 [Black/Brown/Blue/Red]
[URL]
SteelSeries 7G: 6 [Black]
[7G]
Zowie Celeritas: 4 [Brown]
[Zowie Celeritas]
Leopold: 7 [Brown/Red]
[URL]
POKER x KBC: 1 [Red/Blue]
[POKER]
Rosewill RK-9000RE: 2 [Red]
[URL]
Corsair K60: 2 [Red]
[Corsair K60]
Ducky: 3 [Red/Brown]
[Ducky]
Corsair K90: 1 [Red]
[Corsair K90]
Thermaltake MEKA G1: 1 [Black]
[Thermaltake MEKA G1]
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid: 3 [Blue]
[QuickFire Rapid]

Switches:
SPOILER
Blue Switches: 41
Black: 13
Red: 17
Brown: 10
*Please note that I am only interested in mechanical keyboards
Mints
Blackwidow ultimate. Blue switches (I think). Used it because im lazy and too poor to buy and try another keyboard.
Topic Starter
Bells
That Keyboard is hellishly expensive in my country, its at least 30% more expensive than the others I've priced
enik
Why analize anything? Just use what cookiezi uses.
On a serious note, if you looked through all those threads while gathering stats you already must clearly know the difference between all the switches, people won't tell you anything new in this thread. And you won't be 100% in your choice before trying out every switch.
I use blues, just because I haven't tried out others yet and they were most common that time (read: cookiezi were using them). Gonna try reds anytime soon (and I bet most of the community too) because:
Also add a poll.
Topic Starter
Bells
Granted, I just like stats :P

Plus I find it interesting that there are so many people using blue switches, I would have thought that Red would be the way to go if you really wanted to hit sustained streams
Aqo
I use a 6Gv2 and it's shit.
As in, it's actually a good keyboard, but not for osu. Expect to have keys break on you when you stream too fast too long... which comes in annoying later when typing.

Get something with blue switches or reds or w/e
Triskelion91
I'm using a Coolermaster Quickfire TK with red switches. I really like them because it has a low actuation force, which makes it feel smoother when I click.
Jordan
I'm using a QuickFire Rapid (2013 Jan 3rd) Cherry MX Black and I like it
lolcubes

Aqo wrote:

As in, it's actually a good keyboard, but not for osu. Expect to have keys break on you when you stream too fast too long... which comes in annoying later when typing.

That's unexpected. I have a 7G (which is basically 6GV2 with audio ports installed, and a wristrest) and I'm using it since August 2011 and loving it, still no issues with it. I even hit the keys with my fist when I feel the need due to an attack of a furious anger.

On topic.
Don't be like a sheep and don't just use what a player X uses. Cookiezi was using a blackwidow for a long time, and everyone got it cause of that, now hes using a red switch cause apparently he finds it better(?). Do some research on your own and always test the switches before buying, if you can.
Topic Starter
Bells

lolcubes wrote:

Aqo wrote:

That's unexpected. I have a 7G (which is basically 6GV2 with audio ports installed, and a wristrest) and I'm using it since August 2011 and loving it, still no issues with it. I even hit the keys with my fist when I feel the need due to an attack of a furious anger.

On topic.
Don't be like a sheep and don't just use what a player X uses. Cookiezi was using a blackwidow for a long time, and everyone got it cause of that, now hes using a red switch cause apparently he finds it better(?). Do some research on your own and always test the switches before buying, if you can.
I live in Africa, there are maybe 15 people on the continent that know mechanical keyboards exist nevermind have them in store. I would love to test them I really would. But I'm leaning towards Red if I can find the damn things.

As for Cookiezi.... he's God tier.... not his keyboard, but since I can't stream to save my life I wanted to pick the best kind to start practicing with.

What I'm leaning towards is Red because they theoretically faster and if I'm going to get used to anything I figure that would be the best because at the moment I stream faster using mouse only rather than a keyboard
Kurokami

lolcubes wrote:

I even hit the keys with my fist when I feel the need due to an attack of a furious anger.
I lol'd damn it. I'm doing the exact same thing. The only difference, I'm just using the cheapest keyboard (1200HUF which is around 6$) and no button break 'till now (or it is because I pressed my Enter too hard after plenty of retry lol).
lolcubes

CaveBells wrote:

I live in Africa, there are maybe 15 people on the continent that know mechanical keyboards exist nevermind have them in store. I would love to test them I really would. But I'm leaning towards Red if I can find the damn things.

As for Cookiezi.... he's God tier.... not his keyboard, but since I can't stream to save my life I wanted to pick the best kind to start practicing with.

What I'm leaning towards is Red because they theoretically faster and if I'm going to get used to anything I figure that would be the best because at the moment I stream faster using mouse only rather than a keyboard
Let me just tell you that you will not be faster or anything if you can't use a normal keyboard. You most likely won't feel much of a difference. It's when regular keyboards start dragging you down when you already have the basics, then you will notice a significant improvement by using a mech keyboard.

I don't know how the situation in SA is, however if you get the chance of seeing any mech kb in any store around there (call them and ask them), you should use it to at least get the basic feel of the keyboard. I also live in a third world country and the availability was really low until recently as well, however there is always that one store which has at least one type of a kb you can test out, you just have to find it.
:)
d777b
What keyboard are you using

6Gv2 with red switches

Why you prefer those switches to others you may have tried

Pros: They are extremely light, I drastically improved in streaming.
Double tapping is slightly easier for me on reds than blues.
The keyboard itself seems very durable. I haven't had any issues.

Cons: No tactile feel, but I generally bottom out. Whichever style you prefer is personal preference.
When typing or playing other games, it is easy to hit incorrect keys due to the low amount of force to depress the keys.
Kanye West
I use a CM Storm Quickfire TK with blue switches. I only got it because the blue switches feel good when I type, and I got the keyboard on sale. If I was actually trying to play osu! non-casually, I would probably have gotten red switches. Meh, I might buy a red switch keyboard if one's on sale.
Espionage724

Jordan wrote:

I'm using a QuickFire Rapid (2013 Jan 3rd) Cherry MX Black and I like it
I'm getting this tomorrow, only with Blues instead of Black. I currently use an IBM Model M (buckling springs), which works fine.
ct_warrior
I have the CM Storm with red switches. I feel that even reds feel like it could be lighter. I would never buy anything other than reds if I had the choice since all the other options are heavier. Have tried blues and reds.
Topic Starter
Bells

ct_warrior wrote:

I have the CM Storm with red switches. I feel that even reds feel like it could be lighter. I would never buy anything other than reds if I had the choice since all the other options are heavier. Have tried blues and reds.
Do you like the reds because you find them more comfortable, easier to tap, or easier to sustain when taking on long streams, when you compare them to blues.
ziin
Model M
Buckling springs
It's the greatest keyboard ever made
Topic Starter
Bells

ziin wrote:

Model M
Buckling springs
It's the greatest keyboard ever made
That was the keyboard used by Aristotle if I'm not mistaken?
Juphie
Steelseries 6gV2 [black]
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid [red]
Razer Blackwiddow [blue]

I suck with all of them
senaya

CaveBells wrote:

I live in Africa, there are maybe 15 people on the continent that know mechanical keyboards exist nevermind have them in store.
I know that feel, bro. Most of the stuff I need can only be delivered here from other countries or have a 200% price on them :<
Jinxy
Corsair K60, with Red Switches. I've never really tried other switches but took Red for its low actuation force. K60 was because it was the cheapest Red Mechanical Keyboard around.
I have a problem with maintaining streams and while I'm still not exactly good at it, using red switches has almost doubled my ability overnight because it's just so much easier to press.

Though, the keys I often use (WASD + E because I play with W/E) have become quite dirty, and I've only used it for a rather short while. The letters aren't fading off, but they look much darker. Other Red keyboards may be more suited for you, if you can afford them.
Naikaze
1. What keyboard are you using? Laptop keyboard.
2. What switches does it use? Scissors switch.
3. Why you prefer those switches to others you may have tried? Thin.
ct_warrior

CaveBells wrote:

ct_warrior wrote:

Do you like the reds because you find them more comfortable, easier to tap, or easier to sustain when taking on long streams, when you compare them to blues.
All three, but not to a huge degree. Blues are fine, but the clicking you hear during actualization is redundant and drains a bit of stamina once you become comfortable with the speed. When I first started out, I tended not to bottom out because I was weak and less coordinated (a temporary period when blues would be preferred). Now, I can bottom out with a solid thud; although I only do that when I can spare the stamina and my reading ability allows me to do so without thinking. Reds are also fairly quiet if you barely bottom out, but typing takes a bit longer to get used to.
Yuugo
1. Corsair Vengeance K90
2. Cherry MX Red
3. I prefer relatively silent switches and that more or less left the choice between red and black, I chose red since they were lighter.
-Soba-
I use a CM storm quickfire TK with red switches o;
DiMo
1. Ducky DK2108
2. Cherry MX Brown switch
3. The feedback of red switch is not enough for me...
Pizzicato
1.CMstorm quickfire pro
2. Cherry MX Blues
3. The clicking sound and that clicking feel. Blacks are too heavy. Reds are too light. Browns feel awkward.
Yarissa
I have a leopold fullsize tenkeyless red switch keyboard as well as a razer blackwidow and some black switches from god knows what company.

I like the reds the best; they're godly. Reds are light and make single tapping the easiest thing in the world.
mrgnstrn
1. BlackWidow standart
2. Cherry MX Red ( http://puu.sh/1XRk9 )

3. Dont know why, but i prefer Red switches, rather than Blue
Pizzicato

mrgnstrn wrote:

1. BlackWidow standart
2. Cherry MX Red

3. Dont know why, but i prefer Red switches, rather than Blue

that's awesome O_o
theowest
Topic Starter
Bells
Do you get keyboards with multiple switch colour configurations?
Sup A Noob
I'm currently using the 6Gv2 blacks, but planning to switch to the reds of CM Storm QuickFire Rapid.
hinamizawan
I'm not a mechanical keyboard expert but the Razer Blackwidow is fine for me.
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Kanye West

makkura wrote:

I'm not a mechanical keyboard expert but the Razer Blackwidow is fine for me.
It's probably one of the cheapest, but I heard the build quality wasn't that great. I shelled out a few more dollars for a Coolermaster board with backlighting 8-)
show more