forum

A "Play hitsounds with perfect timing" toggle [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +24
Topic Starter
Tear
Right now, hitsounds are played at the same moment you click a circle (or a similar event happens).

What's wrong with it? When a song is beatless, the hitsounds are the only rhythmical feature you hear, so you naturally follow them, and you don't know if you drifted off the rhythm until you start getting 100s and 50s.. It gets worse with hidden, obviously.

My suggestion is to add an option to always play hitsounds at the moment the circles are supposed to be clicked, even when you miss. It could be a global setting, or song/diff-specific (fun spoiler?).

"Doesn't this make the game easier?" Maybe it does, but don't forget that osu! is a rhythm game and you're supposed to have a beat to follow. Having to rely only on visuals is against the entire point of the game.

So, what do you think? Would this work in practice?
theowest
As long as you don't hear any hitsounds when you miss entirely. I wouldn't want to believe I didn't miss something when I actually did, it would make the miss sound pretty worthless.
Your suggesting is basically an auto-mod for all sound.
Topic Starter
Tear
How do you expect that to work? By the time it should play a hitsound, it can't know if you're going to miss or just hit late.
theowest

_tear wrote:

How do you expect that to work? By the time it should play a hitsound, it can't know if you're going to miss or just hit late.
That's what I feared.
Topic Starter
Tear
There's always the X mark, and the combobreak sound could play after every miss in this mode. I'm sure it would take some getting used to...
EDIT: Many rhythm games don't have hitsounds at all, when compared to those this mode would be identical except providing a background rhythm. They'd be simply separate from gameplay.
lolcubes
This actually makes the game harder, so I will not support it. For those who have problems timing their notes, this would help a little, but for those who can time their notes properly, this is a massive hindrance because you don't know if you clicked like 10ms too late or too early, and 10ms is a hearable difference.
Topic Starter
Tear
It seems to be the exact opposite to me. In osu! as it is right now you usually don't know if you clicked too late or too early unless a circle is on an obvious beat (when I consistently get a 100 on a circle, I have to watch Auto to find out what I'm doing wrong), with this you'd notice that the hitsound doesn't play at the moment you clicked.
jemhuntr
10ms is a hearable difference...??? :o i'm neutral on this. it might be helpful for some people, but I'm pretty sure that I'll never use it.
MillhioreF
This would be super duper helpful on Easy difficulties with Hidden. Perhaps *too much* so, as the OD and note density are usually low enough that you can focus entirely on reacting to the sound and get 300. No support.
James2250

lolcubes wrote:

This actually makes the game harder, so I will not support it. For those who have problems timing their notes, this would help a little, but for those who can time their notes properly, this is a massive hindrance because you don't know if you clicked like 10ms too late or too early, and 10ms is a hearable difference.
Pretty much this, hearing hitsounds when they were "supposed" to be played instead of when I clicked it would throw me off completely.
LKs

James2250 wrote:

lolcubes wrote:

Pretty much this, hearing hitsounds when they were "supposed" to be played instead of when I clicked it would throw me off completely.
^
peppy
This breaks what makes osu! osu!.