forum

Advice for the Graduating Senior?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani
Senior year needs to come by a whole lot faster.

So I'll be graduating in a few months. I have no confirmed college, although I'm in very good standing with two. I'll be majoring in hopefully Music Therapy (or Music Education, if I don't get into my top college), and am curious of what to expect in college life, as well as what to do to prepare for it.

My older brother is a bum and neither of my parents completed college, so im kind of like "oh hey im clueless"

So is there any advice you could give? I intend on not being retarded.

Hopefully by posting this in General Discussion, I'll avoid shitposting for at least the first page.

yay.

and if you're curious of the exact places im possibly going to, I can give that too. Just the omg pedophiles might come and poke me or something, idunno.
awp
senior year of high school? no I don't have any advice you haven't even started your actual life yet

oh wait I do have SOME advice

try to figure out what you're passionate about ASAP. I dropped the ball on that one so I'm working in a place I enjoy but I'm not ecstatic about the work I do
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani

awp wrote:

senior year of high school? no I don't have any advice you haven't even started your actual life yet

oh wait I do have SOME advice

try to figure out what you're passionate about ASAP. I dropped the ball on that one so I'm working in a place I enjoy but I'm not ecstatic about the work I do
I plan on doing that with Music Therapy. Granted, I can never be 100% sure, since like, I've never been able to try it out exactly (and I do co-teaching at my school for Music Ed. already. omg how do people enjoy it like omg). Still, hopefully it works >w<
Kanye West
Alright dude, assuming you're going to college, here's what I've got:

Hygiene. Brush twice, shower every day. If you're in a communal bathroom, get shower shoes and a caddy.
Exercise. Minimum of 30 minutes of moderately strenuous cardio every other day.
Don't overeat. They're probably going to have a buffet thing in the cafeteria. Control. Yourself.
Only go to class if its required or worth your time for doing so. If you have a bad professor and you can teach yourself better than the professor can teach you, then class is pointless. But don't get lazy and skip learning the material if you skip class.
Talk to a lot of different people, especially from different areas/majors. Connections are important.
Get to know all your good professors. Ask them for research opportunities.
Join a few student organizations that are interesting to you. Don't join like a million of them, but at the same time, it's great to get involved so don't miss out on that.
Don't be afraid that you won't know anyone when you go. Everyone else is in the same boat during the first week. You'll definitely end up knowing the guys on your floor well.
Learn to manage your time. Find a healthy balance between work and play. This is a lot easier said than done, but its an essential real-world skill.
Enjoy your parent-free fun *cough*. If you didn't have oppressive Asian parents like me, I guess this doesn't apply to you lol
Things you should buy besides from the obvious stuff: a mattress pad (maybe 2, the beds tend to be uncomfortable as hell), a good fan, desk organizer, mini fridge, microwave, mountable whiteboard, a smartphone helps enormously but it's not necessary, credit card, photos (you'll probably get homesick).
Use a condom.

Wow that took a long time to type, phone ftl

tl;dr - don't look or smell like shit, seize every opportunity, step out of your comfort zone, and get wasted erryday (no not really)
awp

Kanye West wrote:

If you're in a communal bathroom, get shower shoes
best piece of advice

you never really consider this sort of thing ahead of time (I didn't anyway) but get shower shoes if you are in fact in a communal bathroom
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani
how do i clean my feet if i have shower shoes
Kanye West

CDFA wrote:

how do i clean my feet if i have shower shoes
Take one off, stand on one foot, clean other foot.

Never step on the floors in there. They are disgusting.
Nekoroll
- Think over your degree plan for whatever major you think you will be going into. Just because the recommended course of action is listed doesn't necessarily mean that you will be able to handle the course load. Don't load up your first semester of college with Calculus, Physics, and a shit ton of other difficult or study-heavy classes. Balance them out with other, easier classes or electives.
- Consult ratemyprofessor.com. Just do it.
- Join a couple clubs/organizations. I went to community college for a few years and didn't know anyone. After that, I went to a 4-year and in the first semester, joined two clubs and made more friends in that single semester than I had going to community college for the 3 years before transferring. If you're not too keen on major clubs, you can go slow and look to see if your university has an anime club or something. lol
- Attend university events. Getting out of your comfort zone is the best way to get out of your shell, especially in college.
- Get to know your neighbors and those who live around you. Take some time to have a little bit of fun. It's college. Don't stay cooped up in your dorm fapping the entire time you're enrolled.
- If you're going to a college that isn't local, get to know what's in and around the city. Learn what's in the city and where to eat that is potentially cheaper and/or healthier than what's offered at the college.
- Don't buy textbooks from the bookstore if you can help it and get it online if you can because fuck paying $150 for a single book.

And agreed on the shower shoes. Others may not do it but playing it safe is better than having a nasty case of athlete's foot.
Ekaru
Only go to class if its required or worth your time for doing so. If you have a bad professor and you can teach yourself better than the professor can teach you, then class is pointless. But don't get lazy and skip learning the material if you skip class.
CDFA would probably indeed get lazy and skip learning the material if he skipped class. :P Plus he might get addicted to skipping if he did that. He's better off going to class and if the prof is bad then he should use that time to study out of the book.

Consult ratemyprofessor.com. Just do it.
^This sooooo much, but do note that occasionally you'll be fucked and won't have a choice, and sometimes the prof is very good at teaching one class but sucks at teaching the class you'll be taking with him/her, so read the reviews carefully.

My own advice:

See if there are any courses at your college that have extremely high W/F rates. This is so that you can adequately prepare yourself and not be among the waves of crappy scores on the first test if you find yourself in one of those courses.
Kanye West
Personally I found that ratemyprofessors.com was really biased against professors that taught inherently difficult classes. Just take stuff on there with a grain of salt because people tend to give professors low ratings just because they did badly in the class.
Cuddlebun
ratemyprofessor.com and amazon are going to be your best friends for choosing which professors to take and books. I have seriously saved several hundreds of dollars without even trying on amazon; this semester, if I had gotten my books from the bookstore, I would have spent about fifteen hundred dollars. Instead I ended up spending only about $800.

If you make friends who take a class before you, ask to use their book next semester if you take the class! Saves money.

Go to class. Even if you just sleep in class, it looks good to the professor that you at least dragged your lazy ass into the room. I'm not saying sleep in class, but I can't in good conscience say not to sleep in class because I tend to do it occasionally. Especially when I'm going to an 8 AM class right after I get out of PT.

I would recommend getting a part-time job for your first two years--the workload will be easy enough that you can handle at least a few hours a week, and extra money in your pocket will be nice. Wait until you have adjusted to college life and studies, first, though. And don't do what I did and try to take a lab science over the summer and work forty hours a week; know your limits.

You are going to gain weight. Especially since you are already a heavyset fellow. Deal with it.

Invest in a pair of headphones if you don't already have one. The number one reason I hate almost every roommate I've had is because THEY PLAY THEIR MUSIC LOUDLY AND CONSTANTLY. Don't be that guy. Also it's good for drowning out the sound of your roommate having sex.

You are going to have a huge degree of freedom from home that you have not experienced before on a longterm basis. It will be magical. You will also abuse this probably sometime in the first semester. This is not so much advice as just a warning: you will fuck up at some point.

Enjoy your first two or three years of college. They will be the years of wonderfully boring core classes that you will probably forget as soon as you get the final grade. I don't know about Music Therapy, but most degrees start getting a bit rapey around the third year, after you've finished all the core and start getting into the 'real' classes. Do not be like me and decide 'oh I'll join the military right as I start my program nerp derp'. It has worked out, but holy hell it was a nightmare getting it to work, and I am still dealing with the occasional bullshit that pops up as a result.
Nekoroll
You can also use chegg.com or another trusted book rental site if the prices are even cheaper than amazon. Bookstores may try to lure you in with the whole "we'll buy your book back after the semester is over" but often times after you have finished using your 2nd edition or whatever book, there will be a 3rd edition by next semester. The bookstore will tell you "Oh, your 2nd edition is outdated so it's not eligible for a buy back". I've had a bookstore tell me this and offer me ~$1 to buy my outdated book. If they do buy your book and it's not outdated, the going rate is usually around 50% or so max which is still not worth it if you spent $120 to get it in the first place.

I swear, book publishing companies are swimming in diamond bathtubs full of money.
Kanye West
Absolutely agree with Amazon. In fact, get Amazon Student. It's Amazon Prime but half the price for students. Basically you get free two-day shipping on basically anything you order, and if you really badly need something the next day,I think one-day shipping is like five bucks or something. Plus a six-month free trial.

Also it's fantastic that there's finally a helpful thread in here.
Ekaru

Cuddlebun wrote:

You are going to have a huge degree of freedom from home that you have not experienced before on a longterm basis. It will be magical. You will also abuse this probably sometime in the first semester. This is not so much advice as just a warning: you will fuck up at some point.
This. Speaking of which... If you end up bombing a class, go cry to yourself for a few hours, figure out what you did wrong, and retake the class ASAP. It will hurt but you already fucked up so what can you do but correct your errors and move on?

Note that there's a difference between bombing Calculus and bombing English 1.
dkun

Kanye West wrote:

Absolutely agree with Amazon. In fact, get Amazon Student. It's Amazon Prime but half the price for students. Basically you get free two-day shipping on basically anything you order, and if you really badly need something the next day,I think one-day shipping is like five bucks or something. Plus a six-month free trial.

Also it's fantastic that there's finally a helpful thread in here.
I must recommend this. Second time 'round buying textbooks. I've saved over 300 dollars (most textbooks Prime/Student eligible get ~50% off!) on this semester's textbooks.

fwiw: one day shipping is 8 dollars an item.

And yes, keep this thread on-topic. I'll be watching it like a hawk. It's interesting to see other people's opinions about this.
Liiraye
Follow your dreams, you'll end up being happy in your life.
awp

Lucasu wrote:

Follow your dreams, you'll end up being happy in your life.
unless it doesn't pan out and you don't have a backup plan, in which case you'll spend the remainder of your (potentially shortened) life impoverished, miserable and struggling to survive
Liiraye
Someone edited my post without saying a thing. Those are not my words, this is an outrage! I demand peppys attention.
dkun

Lucasu wrote:

Someone edited my post without saying a thing. Those are not my words, this is an outrage! I demand peppys attention.

dkun wrote:

And yes, keep this thread on-topic. I'll be watching it like a hawk. It's interesting to see other people's opinions about this.
He's graduating, not giving up on his life.
Vish024
If I didn't graduate I'd be looked upon as the failure of the family. Standards.

Anyway g'luck CDFA you muppet.
awp
wait a second

you fuckers get to choose your professors?

also I can guess what ratemyprofessor.com is and it's probably awful. Take personal recommendations from people you trust, not legions of tools on the Internet

it'd be like asking the Internet for advice. Fuckin' stupid. They can't give you good advice; they don't know you.
theowest
don't just brush twice a day, floss twice a day too!
mathexpert

awp wrote:

it'd be like asking the Internet for advice. Fuckin' stupid. They can't give you good advice; they don't know you.
I imagine this thread would be pretty helpful for a senior, though..
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani
Didn't get to reply to this because I was a bad boy and got silenced for 21 hours.

Anyways

@Nekoroll: My schedule is mostly pre-set for me, it's just a matter of times. Depending on which school I get into, I'll either not have general ed classes until Junior year, or I'll only have to take a few general ed (which should be covered by my AP tests, hopefully), so I'll be mostly good in that department owo.

I plan on joining a Rotary club if there is one at the school. Otherwise, band is pretty organizationy, and I can find things too owo.

Also, what do you mean I can't spend all of my time fapping. I've been waiting for the ability to spend my life fapping since like, I was born.

And yeah, I plan on hopefully exploring the area. ESPECIALLY if I get into my top school, since I've only been in that city for my audition.

and yeah, people have told me about not buying textbooks owo. They're expensive :(.

@Ekaru: What's a W/F rate, lol

@Cuddlebun: Do professors notice when you're in class and when you're not, though? Just something I've always been curious about, lol.

Also, is there a kind of job that would be the most flexible? Like, I'm hopefully planning on joining a small ensemble to perform at parties and get free food while getting paid, but if I end up at a regular part-time job, are there any industries that are more flexible with times than others? Also, people told me that I can get employment within the school, but is that worth it, or should I get an external job?

"Since you are already a heavyset fellow." :(

And yeah, I had a friend rant to me about roommates without headphones. The ones I have right now work pretty nicely, and I intend on keeping through college.

As for third year, during my interview to get into the program, they handed me a list with my proposed schedule, and junior year was actually one of the smallest (1st semester was 16 Credit Hours, while second semester was 14 credit hours. I'm not sure of exact numbers, since I lost that paper (A habit I need to get out of in college, losing things, lol owo)). Granted, I also have a required internship I have to do, so that might take up a lot of that time owo.

Yay, thanks for all of the advice, though, I really appreciate it owo.

Hopefully I can save a ton on books, though. Mostly because that cost will be offset by the costs of my major ($6,000+ Tuba, $3000~$4000 Bass Trombone, Possibly $3500 Euphonium, Mouthpieces, Repairs, Mutes, Accessories, Music, etc etc. Plus they're making me play guitar like that's totally gay so I have to get that)

<3
awp

mathexpert9981 wrote:

I imagine this thread would be pretty helpful for a senior, though..
as in senior citizen?
whymeman
1.) Never overdraft on your bankaccount(s)......... EVER.

2.) Don't destroy yourself it debt with credit cards. Buy what you need, not always what you "want" that you don't need or could get later.

3.) Work up a budget plan and save. If able, try looking around for a bank that has a good interest rate towards the savings account to get a good long-term savings growth (none of that .01% crap). Just don't pull from it too quickly....

4.) Almost forgot. When you have a job, make sure the pay stub already has taxes taken from it. Otherwise, The W-2 will screw you over when tax time hits.

That's all I have to say.
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani

whymeman wrote:

1.) Never overdraft on your bankaccount(s)......... EVER.

2.) Don't destroy yourself it debt with credit cards. Buy what you need, not always what you "want" that you don't need or could get later.

3.) Work up a budget plan and save. If able, try looking around for a bank that has a good interest rate towards the savings account to get a good long-term savings growth (none of that .01% crap). Just don't pull from it too quickly....

4.) Almost forgot. When you have a job, make sure the pay stub already has taxes taken from it. Otherwise, The W-2 will screw you over when tax time hits.

That's all I have to say.

omg yes, that's going to be so hard for me. I'm fairly decent about not spending money unless I really need to.

The hard thing for me though is that if I like, need to buy food, I'm like "well im on my own let's just buy as much food as I want." Plus now I'll have to pay for services, so I'll be like "omg no"

Also holy shit I have to pay taxes.

omg oh no.

Also, quick question. How much do you guys generally spend on food? For my hopeful school that I'll be going to, they have a meal plan (and they also sell wine like omg), but I'm assuming that I won't be eating there every day (But knowing me, I'll try to do so, because I'm cheap like that).
whymeman
As for food. It depends since you have the "needs" and the "treats".

Try to avoid as much "treats" as possible (such as ice cream cakes every week for example). There are foods you can budget with if you do it right depending on the options. Pizza is usually a good option (even for takeout if you buy normal whole-pies) since a whole box could maybe last up to 3 days tops before it's not really edible anymore. Or, "invest" on your meals ahead of time with canned foods and things that are easy to cook without the need to eat your wallet. PBJ is alright, but what falls short on that is the bread since that expires faster than anything (even faster if moisture forms in the bag and cause mold growth.

Oh, and some "treats" are okay for snack foods when it's small and easily affordable like Zebra Cakes and Chex Mix for a "On-the-go" snack with a bottle of water for example. You can save yourself a bit more money if you boil some water properly and store it in a large jug (with the option of filtering as well if you can). A $1 jug can add up quickly when you buy enough of them for the year. Also, avoid taking in too much junk foods and drinks as well since screwing up your diet isn't a good thing either, but same for leaving yourself hungry often.

Edit: If worse comes to worse, some "instant meals" can come in handy within the overal low-budget price range.
awp

CDFA wrote:

Also, quick question. How much do you guys generally spend on food? For my hopeful school that I'll be going to, they have a meal plan (and they also sell wine like omg), but I'm assuming that I won't be eating there every day (But knowing me, I'll try to do so, because I'm cheap like that).
I try to budget $200/mth for groceries, getting it under $180 is pretty easy if I don't go to any fancy restaurants that charge like $15-$20 for an $8 meal

Because you're going to be in University/College (in the US apparently there's little difference) I'd say expect it to be more, since they can and will apply a convenience fee to everything you buy on campus, similar to how food at a concert/convention is twice as expensive as it is outside the venue. But you also live in the USA and everything there is way cheaper and your tax on purchased items is practically non-existent. So you could probably get away with <$150 if you bought all your food at a regular grocery store chain off-campus
Haneii
Prioritize~

- It depends on the program, but generally you'll have plenty of assigned work/readings every class, so it's important to plan things out and stay on top of things.

- Invest in a large poster calendar and mark down all the important dates: assignments, exams, personal events etc...

- READ YOUR SYLLABUS. It's your job to know what is to be expected on certain days (assignments due, midterms, readings/practice work to be understood prior to coming to class). You will not be reminded about anything.
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani

whymeman wrote:

As for food. It depends since you have the "needs" and the "treats".

Try to avoid as much "treats" as possible (such as ice cream cakes every week for example). There are foods you can budget with if you do it right depending on the options. Pizza is usually a good option (even for takeout if you buy normal whole-pies) since a whole box could maybe last up to 3 days tops before it's not really edible anymore. Or, "invest" on your meals ahead of time with canned foods and things that are easy to cook without the need to eat your wallet. PBJ is alright, but what falls short on that is the bread since that expires faster than anything (even faster if moisture forms in the bag and cause mold growth.

Oh, and some "treats" are okay for snack foods when it's small and easily affordable like Zebra Cakes and Chex Mix for a "On-the-go" snack with a bottle of water for example. You can save yourself a bit more money if you boil some water properly and store it in a large jug (with the option of filtering as well if you can). A $1 jug can add up quickly when you buy enough of them for the year. Also, avoid taking in too much junk foods and drinks as well since screwing up your diet isn't a good thing either, but same for leaving yourself hungry often.

Edit: If worse comes to worse, some "instant meals" can come in handy within the overal low-budget price range.
Yay ramen owo. Are you required to pay for utilities? I could always just use my water jug from Marching Band and just keep cold water in there and stuff if it doesn't have any cost to me.

awp wrote:

CDFA wrote:

I try to budget $200/mth for groceries, getting it under $180 is pretty easy if I don't go to any fancy restaurants that charge like $15-$20 for an $8 meal

Because you're going to be in University/College (in the US apparently there's little difference) I'd say expect it to be more, since they can and will apply a convenience fee to everything you buy on campus, similar to how food at a concert/convention is twice as expensive as it is outside the venue. But you also live in the USA and everything there is way cheaper and your tax on purchased items is practically non-existent. So you could probably get away with <$150 if you bought all your food at a regular grocery store chain off-campus
Yay owo. I was looking at the school, and they do some weird "Dining Dollar" shit where it's like a pre-paid debit card where it's like "YOU GET DINING DOLLARS TO USE IN THE SCHOOL EATING AREAS." Granted the link that lead to the rates that it cost on the site decided to be broken, so I can't estimate that. Still, I plan on going to external places since I'll occasionally want a pop-tart or some shit, idunno. There's a LOT of places by where I'll be going, and I'll be sure to avoid restraunts and stuff unless it's like, special or something.

And yeah, the only difference between Universities and Colleges is that Universities are "more prestigious" or something, but it's virtually the same stuff. It's only community colleges that are strikingly different.

Haneii wrote:

Prioritize~

- It depends on the program, but generally you'll have plenty of assigned work/readings every class, so it's important to plan things out and stay on top of things.

- Invest in a large poster calendar and mark down all the important dates: assignments, exams, personal events etc...

- READ YOUR SYLLABUS. It's your job to know what is to be expected on certain days (assignments due, midterms, readings/practice work to be understood prior to coming to class). You will not be reminded about anything.
Would an iPhone work for saving events, or does the large poster calender make it a lot more effective and stuff? owo.

Also omg syllabus that's going to suck since I'm so bad at remembering things, lol. I'll try doing that, though :3.

yay information is helpful, I love you guys >w<
Cuddlebun
My housing/meal plan (5 meals a week because I try to stay out of the cafeteria since its hours don't match my schedule AT ALL but meal plan is required for on-campus residents) is paid for out of a 529K plan, so I don't have much financial advice, honestly. I usually don't spend any more than $30 a week if even that on groceries. I eat a shitton of PBJ, salads, Spaghetti-Os...cheap shit with the occasional splurge.

As for a job; McDonalds may be a shitty job (or not bad, it depends on where you are. I happen to be at a hub of stupidity so I hate it), but the hours are extremely flexible once you've been working there a while. I worked 35 hour weeks for the spring of my freshman year, through summer (which was a horrible mistake to make while taking lab sciences), then all of sophomore year. So this summer when I had to leave for basic for two months and then reduce my hours to only weekends, they didn't make a big deal about it.

I got off track; a part-time job at a low-responsibility place like fast food or retail (fast food tends to be more flexible because of the high turnover rate) can be pretty great for supplementing your income. I managed to save a few thousand last year, and I've been able to keep several thousand in my savings. It can be nice for putting something in your account or even just having enough money to buy the occasional stupid thing and not feel guilty. But if it gets in the way of your schooling dump it like a fat girlfriend.

If you can get a job on campus, that would probably be more convenient than an off-campus job. I would recommend it. I just can't stress the importance of putting your schoolwork first. If you're worried about your schedule, just see if anyone will let you work just weekends.

As for taxes, don't worry about it. Most jobs take out the taxes on your paycheck, so come April, all you have to do is plug in your W2 info and bam refund. At least, that's what I'm doing. Turbotax Military Edition wololololo

edit: also omigosh, yes, the syllabus of each class will be your new Bible. Get a planner, write down the date of each test and event. It's also pretty easy to find an interactive calendar to download onto your desktop since you'd be more likely to look at your home screen than the planner sitting forgotten in your bookbag.

If you can spare the money, buy your own printer. One of those relatively cheap HP ones that prints, copies, and scans. That way you're not panicking the day a paper is due because fuck you have to run to the library goddammit that fucking shithead who's always hanging out on the computers is printing a fucking novel you don't have time for this shit--you get my point. I got my printer for like, fifty bucks at Target and it's wonderful.

IF YOU WANT MORE MONEY YOU SHOULD DO WHAT I DID AND JOIN THE ARMY. BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BE LIKE ME RIGHT? BE LIKE MEEEEEEE
Ekaru
W/F rate = Withdraw/Fail rate, or the percentage of students who either withdraw from or fail a course. For example, the Withdraw/Fail rate of Calc I nationwide is around 50%. A lot of places have even made efforts to nerf the course into Baby Calc I and the W/F rate just keeps on climbing because math curriculum in K-12 has degraded into "Follow the step-by-step instructions and punch shit into your calculator and you'll be AMAZING at math!"
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani

Cuddlebun wrote:

My housing/meal plan (5 meals a week because I try to stay out of the cafeteria since its hours don't match my schedule AT ALL but meal plan is required for on-campus residents) is paid for out of a 529K plan, so I don't have much financial advice, honestly. I usually don't spend any more than $30 a week if even that on groceries. I eat a shitton of PBJ, salads, Spaghetti-Os...cheap shit with the occasional splurge.

As for a job; McDonalds may be a shitty job (or not bad, it depends on where you are. I happen to be at a hub of stupidity so I hate it), but the hours are extremely flexible once you've been working there a while. I worked 35 hour weeks for the spring of my freshman year, through summer (which was a horrible mistake to make while taking lab sciences), then all of sophomore year. So this summer when I had to leave for basic for two months and then reduce my hours to only weekends, they didn't make a big deal about it.

I got off track; a part-time job at a low-responsibility place like fast food or retail (fast food tends to be more flexible because of the high turnover rate) can be pretty great for supplementing your income. I managed to save a few thousand last year, and I've been able to keep several thousand in my savings. It can be nice for putting something in your account or even just having enough money to buy the occasional stupid thing and not feel guilty. But if it gets in the way of your schooling dump it like a fat girlfriend.

If you can get a job on campus, that would probably be more convenient than an off-campus job. I would recommend it. I just can't stress the importance of putting your schoolwork first. If you're worried about your schedule, just see if anyone will let you work just weekends.

As for taxes, don't worry about it. Most jobs take out the taxes on your paycheck, so come April, all you have to do is plug in your W2 info and bam refund. At least, that's what I'm doing. Turbotax Military Edition wololololo

edit: also omigosh, yes, the syllabus of each class will be your new Bible. Get a planner, write down the date of each test and event. It's also pretty easy to find an interactive calendar to download onto your desktop since you'd be more likely to look at your home screen than the planner sitting forgotten in your bookbag.

If you can spare the money, buy your own printer. One of those relatively cheap HP ones that prints, copies, and scans. That way you're not panicking the day a paper is due because fuck you have to run to the library goddammit that fucking shithead who's always hanging out on the computers is printing a fucking novel you don't have time for this shit--you get my point. I got my printer for like, fifty bucks at Target and it's wonderful.

IF YOU WANT MORE MONEY YOU SHOULD DO WHAT I DID AND JOIN THE ARMY. BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BE LIKE ME RIGHT? BE LIKE MEEEEEEE
yaay owo. There's a shitload of fast food places around the area, so it should be pretty ok to get a job. Like there's this Target and those people be so ratchet like I could get a job there and they'd be like "dude omg."

Also, as much as I want to continue my quest to become Cuddlebun, being part of the Military bands require me to be like, really good.

My dad works as a computer technician, so he probably has a printer just lying around somewhere (Like, he has so much stuff just lying in our garage. Granted, it's all old XP stuff, but technology is technology.).

BE LIKE CUDDLEBUN WOO

Ekaru wrote:

W/F rate = Withdraw/Fail rate, or the percentage of students who either withdraw from or fail a course. For example, the Withdraw/Fail rate of Calc I nationwide is around 50%. A lot of places have even made efforts to nerf the course into Baby Calc I and the W/F rate just keeps on climbing because math curriculum in K-12 has degraded into "Follow the step-by-step instructions and punch shit into your calculator and you'll be AMAZING at math!"
It's funny how you mention calc because like half of my class dropped it second semester (I dropped it before it was cool, though :3.).

Major question, that I forgot to ask. Would I know who I'd be rooming with in dormitories? Or would I get a choice on where/who I would room with, or would it just be random. Mostly just so I can be like "dude um so like let's plan this out so we don't have 3 TVs and like 2 PS3s and like no printer"
Cuddlebun
I was being facetious but the military's actually pretty good for paying for school if you're willing to commit 4-8 years of your life to it. Right now as a National Guardsman I'm getting both a monthly stipend of $350 from ROTC (which goes up every year) and a drill payment (drill is once a month, where you go to your assigned unit for the weekend and do fuckall nothing) of around $200-300. So even without McDonalds I'm making almost 700 a month just for going to school and sacrificing a weekend. Then factor in various services provided by the military/NG such as GI bill and Tuition Assistance, and I'm doing pretty well. If you can spare a summer or two, as an E3 paygrade I made $3500 at basic training, and during those two and a half months I wasn't spending any money (since everything's provided) so all that money went straight into my savings. If you go to AIT (which I wish I could but can't miss another summer because I waited until I started my program at school to join the military), that's another $2000-3500 in your pocket depending on your paygrade.

It's not a bad deal, and once you graduate you got a guaranteed job for a few years. Just putting that out there.

Also: PT makes you sexy