forum

Religious Freedom

posted
Total Posts
show more
Hanyuu
Well i heard someone talk about religion before a while ago and it was kinda harsh but understandable.

Anyways he was saying religion is only for dumb people. Even if they are wrong and dont know themselves how to go further they would just pray to god. Talking to religious people is impossible. If you try to conviince someone god does not exist they will just tell you, that you have to believe in it. Theres not any proof of god anywhere and as far as I think the world works you first got to prove the existence of something before you can tell others they should prove you wrong.

Well something like that. Im not religious myself i got other stuffs i have to take care of lol
awp

Kanye West wrote:

Oh, and if Christianity (and other faiths) is meant to bring people together, then why am I supposedly going to hell because I'm not Christian? Isn't that segregation?
Don't you get it? They're bringing you together. Every single person who isn't Christian will be sent to Hell. That fits the definition of bringing people together if you ask me
Kanye West

awp wrote:

Kanye West wrote:

Oh, and if Christianity (and other faiths) is meant to bring people together, then why am I supposedly going to hell because I'm not Christian? Isn't that segregation?
Don't you get it? They're bringing you together. Every single person who isn't Christian will be sent to Hell. That fits the definition of bringing people together if you ask me
That actually sounds quit fun! It's going to turn into an endless rave with all the cool badass people, but I guess the climate could pose a problem. Oh well, #YOLF
Ekaru
I feel like addressing the actual OP for a moment.

In a nutshell, that comic's making fun of how many Christians believe that Freedom of Religion refers to your choice of which sect of Christianity you are allowed to believe in. Religious beliefs that allow for homosexuality do not exist and being an atheist is illegal.

Okay, carry on. ^_^
Bweh

Ekaru wrote:

Wait what is this argument that I'm reading what is going on here

According to the Bible, hell goes like this nowadays:

-If you believe that Jesus died for your sins you go to heaven
-If not you go to hell

How much you've sinned is irrelevant, whether or not you've technically repented is irrelevant, and whether or not you've had a chance to learn about Jesus is irrelevant. Same with how good of a person you are and all that jazz.

Note that if someone's using Jesus' death to be a cunt they probably don't actually believe in Jesus and will go to hell regardless.

P.S. Before anybody asks, I'm an atheist.
So would you say that all that you need is faith?
Kanye West

Brian OA wrote:

Ekaru wrote:

Wait what is this argument that I'm reading what is going on here

According to the Bible, hell goes like this nowadays:

-If not you go to hell

How much you've sinned is irrelevant, whether or not you've technically repented is irrelevant, and whether or not you've had a chance to learn about Jesus is irrelevant. Same with how good of a person you are and all that jazz.

Note that if someone's using Jesus' death to be a cunt they probably don't actually believe in Jesus and will go to hell regardless.

P.S. Before anybody asks, I'm an atheist.
So would you say that all that you need is faith?
faith for what?
Aeidxst

Ekaru wrote:

-If not you go to hell
It was just to scare the people who rejected to be christian that times. So they could take more money in the name of church. They tried to achieve power with using the fear of fire. It was all common law cheat. They even sold some "lands from heaven" to town's people before renaissance. Why would we ever discuss about religion's sayings after this point. It's obviously modified for some people's profits and shit.
Kanye West

Aeidxst wrote:

Ekaru wrote:

-If not you go to hell
It was just to scare the people who rejected to be christian that times. So they could take more money in the name of church. They tried to achieve power with using the fear of fire. It was all common law cheat. They even sold some "lands from heaven" to town's people before renaissance. Why would we ever discuss about religion's sayings after this point. It's obviously modified for some people's profits and shit.
Except it still happens today. "You don't want to go to church? God's going to burn you in hell. You don't believe in jesus? Going to hell." Some lady told me straight up, to my face, that I was going to hell because she noticed I wasn't american and didn't accept jesus as my savoir.
Sander-Don
Someone made a religion thread?... I come back and see this...
Aeidxst

Kanye West wrote:

Aeidxst wrote:

Except it still happens today. "You don't want to go to church? God's going to burn you in hell. You don't believe in jesus? Going to hell." Some lady told me straight up, to my face, that I was going to hell because she noticed I wasn't american and didn't accept jesus as my savoir.
Ephemeral
pretty sure hell is a human construction comprised of misinterpreted allusions to "fire and brimstone" and utilised as a way of controlling people through fear.

i mean, ask yourself, what is worse: eternal torment, or having any memory and trace of your existence completely erased from the universe?

i think "true" sinners, people whom openly murder, defile and are toxic towards their fellow man with no remorse purely for pleasure or power are those who will end up in "hell", so to speak. those who live their lives following the ethos that Jesus established (which by the way is pure altruism in all its forms from what i can see) as best they can will be saved. this is a difficult thing to talk about without getting overtly religious, but i honestly believe that most people are good despite their shortfallings and all things considered, the punishment most people assign to "hell" may only very well be given out to a dramatically small part of the human race.

but what the fuck do i know? absolutely nothing. i just feel that a divinity that sends his only son to die and willingly absolve our sins as a species probably doesn't sit down and torture his own children on the other hand.

but that's just me, and i totally invite everyone to sit around and give this some serious thought. there is a purpose in all life, and i firmly believe humans are not the exception to this rule.
Aurani

Kanye West wrote:

Some lady told me straight up, to my face, that I was going to hell because she noticed I wasn't american and didn't accept jesus as my savoir.

Guess her brain didn't develop beyond the point of a typical 5yo kid's brain.
Soarezi

IppE wrote:

Religions are all quite silly and pointless.
Ekaru

Ephemeral wrote:

pretty sure hell is a human construction comprised of misinterpreted allusions to "fire and brimstone" and utilised as a way of controlling people through fear.
I thought that was purgatory. Could be both, though.
Mints
You would never know, heaven maybe the place where everyone who committed sin go to and hell is the paradise.
tyrael6192

Yukari wrote:

You would never know, heaven maybe the place where everyone who committed sin go to and hell is the paradise.
plot twist: jesus lied to everyone and that's why god had him die
Tsukimi Luna

tyrael6192 wrote:

plot twist: jesus lied to everyone and that's why god had him die
(Y)
that sounds a lot better
Wojjan

Kanye West wrote:

#YOLF
oh. oh wow
Seph

Kanye West wrote:

sounds like jehovah's witness
Kanye West
Nope. It was at a Christian retreat I went to with my ex. In retrospect, going was probably a bad idea in the first place lol
Cuddlebun

Ephemeral wrote:

i mean, ask yourself, what is worse: eternal torment, or having any memory and trace of your existence completely erased from the universe?

i think "true" sinners, people whom openly murder, defile and are toxic towards their fellow man with no remorse purely for pleasure or power are those who will end up in "hell", so to speak. those who live their lives following the ethos that Jesus established (which by the way is pure altruism in all its forms from what i can see) as best they can will be saved. this is a difficult thing to talk about without getting overtly religious, but i honestly believe that most people are good despite their shortfallings and all things considered, the punishment most people assign to "hell" may only very well be given out to a dramatically small part of the human race.

but what the fuck do i know? absolutely nothing. i just feel that a divinity that sends his only son to die and willingly absolve our sins as a species probably doesn't sit down and torture his own children on the other hand.

but that's just me, and i totally invite everyone to sit around and give this some serious thought. there is a purpose in all life, and i firmly believe humans are not the exception to this rule.
Didn't Jesus also say in the Sermon on the Rock or whatever it's called that he'd rather have a non-believer who followed his 'ethos' rather than a believer who didn't? As in, faith in God is not everything? Please don't make me go find the scripture, I don't feel like pulling out books and doing actual work.

Jesus was a cool dude
Ekaru

Cuddlebun wrote:

Didn't Jesus also say in the Sermon on the Rock or whatever it's called that he'd rather have a non-believer who followed his 'ethos' rather than a believer who didn't? As in, faith in God is not everything? Please don't make me go find the scripture, I don't feel like pulling out books and doing actual work.

Jesus was a cool dude
Jesus essentially preached, "Don't be a cunt - I don't care about your beliefs or your silly laws so much as how much of a cunt you are," so you could be right.
Clawsmash
i'll just put this here.

dNextGen
you are all going to hell

Vext wrote:

Oh dear, nothing good can come from this topic.
yeah,yuck fou OP
Cyclohexane
Youtube comments in a thread to prove a point.

If anybody still doubts the thread isn't dead after that then I don't know what they need
Ephemeral
wtg clawsmash, ruined a mildly decent thread with complete shit
Vish024
Cropzy
Atheism is best
Apex_old

Cropzy wrote:

Atheism is best
I would object with that.

The reason why China is so f-cked up is because the rich men are all atheists and they don't give out money, and they became extreme hedonists to the great meaningless of life.
Wojjan
Religion=/= charity, Apex.
Bweh
Though the thought of having a benevolent omnipotent being above you rather than nothing kind of motivates you to be nice.

Because at that point you're not really at the top of the food chain, so to speak.
tyrael6192

Wojjan wrote:

Religion=/= charity, Apex.
Christianity = God sides with the poor and the oppressed = agape = significantly increased likelihood of charity, atleast in an ideal world where people actually put their orthodoxy into practice
Ekaru

Ephemeral wrote:

wtg clawsmash, ruined a mildly decent thread with complete shit
This.

*reads the last few posts* ...What on earth am I reading - oh, Apex has finally arrived. FUCK.
Lavale_old

Apex wrote:

Cropzy wrote:

Atheism is best
I would object with that.

The reason why China is so f-cked up is because the rich men are all atheists and they don't give out money, and they became extreme hedonists to the great meaningless of life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_go ... opment_aid
Baron Nefarious
Atheism... Meh. Church of the subgenius is best.
Also people should only give charity if they honestly want to help. Attempting to correlate religion and charity is a terrible idea, it raises too many questions.
tyrael6192
If you throw the whole "you'll go to hell if you don't" into the mix, suddenly christianity becomes a charitable funhouse

which really just says something about the real motivation behind actions and the nature of altruism

and there's that thing in to kill a mockingbird where the black church doesn't allow anyone to leave until they've donated to help the family of their friend tom robinson, which i guess isn't direct religion but a scene where religion leads a tight-knit community which then leads to a better relationship between people and hence charity (although in this case somewhat forced) to help each other out... just random really, but kinda semi-relevant
Aurani

tyrael6192 wrote:

Christianity = God sides with the poor and the oppressed = agape = significantly increased likelihood of charity, atleast in an ideal world where people actually put their orthodoxy into practice
Sadly we don't live in that world...

Apex wrote:

The reason why China is so f-cked up is because the rich men are all atheists and they don't give out money.
That's kind of a shallow way to think,wouldn't you agree?
awp

tyrael6192 wrote:

USA
Bweh
TEI
reisende

Brian OA wrote:

Though the thought of having a benevolent omnipotent being above you rather than nothing kind of motivates you to be nice.

Because at that point you're not really at the top of the food chain, so to speak.
Do you really need some kind of superior being expecting something from you to act nicely?
show more