forum

Do you get "constantly" better or from one day to another?

posted
Total Posts
show more
silmarilen

Hika wrote:

I get worse everyday. trufax.
Kanye West
I think I improve every day, but I improve so damn slowly that I can't notice it. Almost 40k playcount and still can't FC insanes \:D/
-GN
I took a break from playing for a week quite recently. Once I started playing again, my accuracy had quite noticeably improved, as well as my jump skilss. Streaming stamina had suffered a bit, though, but I'd gladly trade the latter for the former considering how unbalanced it is at the moment.

It's the same case with Stepmania, although I only play it once a month on average but I still get better at it for whatever reason.
GoldenWolf
I can't play anything above 210bpm anymore since 2 months, but I got better overall, especially in accuracy.
Maybe I do get better everyday, but it's so slow I don't notice it, except when I take a short break.
[Kanzaki Ranko]

Liutprando wrote:

I notice the most my improvements when i quit for 2-3 weeks and comeback
This.
And I get worse whenever I try playing a map over and over (like doing 1-miss on 4 first attempts, then almost failing everytime)
Zare
When I was forced to take a break from osu becaue of being sick, I was worse when coming back. Like, my stream speed was even shittier than it is usually, i couldn't jump anymore and I had to play a few days to get my accuracy back.
Oh well.

Anyway, if I don't take breaks, I actually do think that I'm gettin better everyday. On some days I am better at speed, on others I'm better at jumps, but I usually am constantly improving.
Mints

Maav wrote:

Liutprando wrote:

I notice the most my improvements when i quit for 2-3 weeks and comeback
This.
And I get worse whenever I try playing a map over and over (like doing 1-miss on 4 first attempts, then almost failing everytime)
Omg I have the same problem! >.< and I guess I improve everyday, just not significantly.
MillhioreF
My skill level grows very slowly over time, but mostly it fluctuates. Like, one day I'll be okay, the next day I'll be totally horrible and can barely play anything, then I'll be all right, and once a month or so I get a random skill boost and set some amazing record before falling back into failhood.
SESIN
I notice only that I'm getting worse.
Hika
This thread reminded me of something just now. I recall taking a 3-4 month break from osu! because I wasn't interested anymore. When I came back, I played Scarlet Rose my first run & made the highest score that I couldn't have possibly made before. I can't beat it now because my hands are weak.

I mean sure, there are some times where my hands are like 'oh yeah, we can rank this' or 'streamy maps pls' but most of the times out of the month, my hands just kinda flop around & freeze. It may just be that the seasons affect my ability to play. I also play better after drinking an energy drink. Don't know why, really.
Almost
I got a lot better since last month but at the moment it seems I've been stuck at this skill level for a while and I think my stream stamina has gone down as well.
Oinari-sama
I can feel that I'm doing slightly better every week. I like doing 30min warm up routines everyday and just spend the rest of the time playing for fun. Retry some A/B ranked maps from a week ago and voila - it feels a lot easier to FC - Satisfaction :D
-GN

Hika wrote:

I also play better after drinking an energy drink. Don't know why, really.
Isn't that, you know, half the point of energy drinks in general?
Lance
I get better after long breaks (1-2 weeks+). I have no idea why.
buny
i just suck the same every day ._.
Hika

-GN wrote:

Hika wrote:

I would say yes to that but in my case, no. Before my break, I sucked when I had an energy drink. Maybe it was just the fact that I double tapped instead of single tapping. Normally, my peaks of better playing during these days would be ones where I've overworked myself one day or just steal an energy drink.
EzRemake
Exhaustion definitely plays a big role in this. Games like Osu! are typically not the ones you want to spend hours a day playing (unless of course you love it so much you can't stop), due to the fact that once you become exhausted (whether you feel it or not) your performance will drop drastically.

I find the first 10 minutes of play is like a warm up, and then I get a good 40 minutes or so of quality performance, and then it starts to decrease quite a bit as my wrists and arms get sore. This is why I generally only play 1 hour at a time.
Oinari-sama

-GN wrote:

Hika wrote:

It's the high caffeine and sugar contents in those "energy drinks" that makes you go hyper. You gain more apm reflex wise, at the expense of rational decision making.

Too bad energy drinks don't work for me either. I play better with some CH3-CH2-OH :D
JAKACHAN
Not everyday, but every now and then I do notice differences.
Vache_old
I play on and off and notice a increase in skill every other play time. (Ex. Monday on, Tuesday off, ect.) I feel like I have been increasing in skill pretty fast for how I played. Disregard join date, I have been playing for a month and a half.
Icyteru
well, improving slowly, but definitely there. 1 month ago, i had barely enough stamina to pass over the flood, now, it doesn't take the toll on my arm like it used to. Oh, and I managed to beat lolimarathon today and only felt tired in the last few minutes.
sCam
I think I've reached my limit 3 months ago, now I dunno why I reallly play this game anymore. Maybe because I like Jap music, and lolis.

I don't know, some days i can pass maps with flying colors(even stream maps)
but then I have these days where I can't do them for shit...

One thing for sure..never take an extended break from Osu to play another game, you'll regret it. Hell I had to play Osu to get better at that game. Wtf, how do you even do that.
Bweh
The improvement curve is there, though I don't know if you can say it's there from one day to another.

It might be over a week or more, but it's there.
Triskelion91
I don't know why, but I play better when I'm tired, during the middle of the night at like 3 AM.
MMzz
I think everyone gets better everyday. Just the fact that some people can adjust to things faster than others might make people feel discouraged and "think" they are making no progress against their peers/rivals when they actually are.

I think about it like this:
The more you play the more used to the game you get, thus the more adapt your brain is to reacting to jumps/streams/general patterns. Over time things just get easier because it's hard-printed into your mind and your reflexes know how to react effectively. (aka muscle memory) But the rate of which this happens depends on the person and how much time they dedicate to the game. Yet, everyone's brain doesn't work the same way so I could be completely wrong. (Not saying I'm right.) This doesn't just apply to games either, you can be learning a language and this theory could be applied.

So if what above is true, you are indeed getting better everyday. Even if it's the smallest amount.
Water Wolf
I have to be afk for 10 days D:

Dont know what will happen to my osu! techniques. I hope i can be better :o
DakeDekaane
I've been improving slowly and I'm happy with it as in other games I always get stuck in some level of skill, 5 months ago I always failed in Hard, note I'm able to pass them, even with mods them although not FCing, and some insanes too /o/
Kurangceret
Everyday I always get better accuracy, but slider break just got increased in number.
Kami-nyan
Took me weeks or months to improve my accuracy.
Dunno about my skills now because I broke my mouse a month ago and went ctb all the time. :)
[Maid] NekoRyo
yeah... but it takes time >.<~ i been playing for a month~ and better on playing HR And FL
aggums
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri
I go with the break thing too, after a break I suck for a day and then get better. So I think its sometimes smart to take a break if you are stuck :F ?
Asx-H
No, I randomly get better after like 3 weeks of not playing for a few days and thinking I suck and seeming getting worse. Vicious cycle :(

Think it's just better for yourself to play the game with different techniques and not trying for actual improvement. Also, moderation, I don't think 15 hours a day every day really helps.
silmarilen
i get better over time, but because the increase is so small i only really notice it every now and then so it looks like i get small bursts of skill increase
AWESOME-SAMA
Yes! Practice makes perfect, ya know.
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri

AWESOME-SAMA wrote:

Yes! Practice makes perfect, ya know.
Yeah, that is for sure. But as I read this thread I think its good to make a break once in a while, I just ask myself when this moment is?
[Luanny]
well, I stopped playing for like two weeks and, for my surprise, I was playing really better after that lol
when I try to play everyday constantly I end up playing like shit
Jordan
I'm not improving since much time. Noticed a huge skill loss in stream speed and accuracy especially
usa
I don't notice improvements until I'm able to do a massive pp farming spree by improving ranks. Then I'm stuck in limbo and rinse and repeat.
Full Tablet
I seems to be slowly improving from one day to another (in average), but I seem to be gradually losing my ability to play without listening to the music (useful for very bad timed beatmaps where the music confuses instead of helping, or you just plainly hate the song).

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/20447?m=0. My most pp-worthy play was done after about 40 tries, about 4 months ago. About a week ago I played that map 60 times and I couldn't beat my record.

https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=89463&m=0. About 6 months ago I passed this map with an A (about 94% acc and lot of combo breaks), then, about 1 month later I could pass it with a better combo, but only ~85% (losing a lot of pp in that moment). Now I don't get a better record than that after dozens of tries.
show more