forum

Update the offset Wizard

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +308
Topic Starter
Dexus
I think the offset wizard should have a tap to offset sort of option like in the map editor for the timing. It only makes sense and I think it would work better than using the arrow keys or a scrubber. Having the pings mute while you tap for a bit would make it easier as well, or at least make the pings start after you've stopped tapping.
MillhioreF
This is an awesome idea. I always felt the built-in offset wizard was somewhat lacking.
jemhuntr
i don't think so. it would be weird to implement. you're supposed to follow a fixed bpm when adjusting universal offset. what if you spam tap randomly? it would just be better if you could fast-adjust while holding shift. but that would be a different request.
Topic Starter
Dexus
Bumping request because I feel this is really important. I also think that players should be brought through an initial offset setup upon starting the game for the first time. I feel this would relieve a lot of stress from players because they have frustration towards maps when their hits are correct with the music but the notes themselves are off.
Luna
It shouldn't be obligatory on first start imo
I know plenty of people who just started the game and have the most horrible rhythm sense ever, I can guarantee 100% that they'd just mess up their offset big time.
PROGUY
Then you should play this map by testing in the Editor and then use the timing stats for adjusting the offset.

Of course, having more experience in-game is the better option.
Topic Starter
Dexus
It should be made idiot proof easier to understand/do then.
Oinari-sama

Dexus wrote:

It should be made idiot proof easier to understand/do then.
Well, the problem I see with the existing offset wizard is that the "calibration" process still relies heavily on personal judgement.

I mean what are the user to do with the existing wizard? Align a "fat" bar to match a thin centreline? The error in doing that is already quite significant, not to mention that some poor 1st time user who randoms a 200bpm song while calibrating, not knowing that he could've chosen a slower song to make his life easier.

I see many opportunity to improve the existing offset wizard (if the devs can afford to invest effort into it):
  1. Change the approaching "bars" into thin lines (similar weight to the centre line), but keep a different colour from the centreline.
  2. Always load a standard song with low bpm for calibration (eg 60 bpm).
  3. Have options to increase/lower the "approach rate" of the lines.
  4. If possible, can we have a "zoomed" portion of the centreline that "freezes" when every 4th metronome beat is played? (ie for a 60bpm song, the frozen portion is updated every 4s) This should make it easier to visualise the offset.
The tapping idea in the OP may be good for setting bpm, but IMO it still involves too much personal judgement for calibrating the offset. It could be simplified, however, to give indication only on whether the tap is Early or Late. This can compliment the "improved" wizard as a testing tool after calibration, ie if the user gets roughly 50/50 Early/Late it means that the calibration is more or less satisfactory.
jemhuntr
@oinari sama:
> those lines are skinnable.
TheVileOne
The bars are confusing IMO. I had to set my UO based on trial and error, because the bars were no help at all. My method of setting UO was set a value, go into a song I know is timed properly, and try to measure the distance between where the sounds appear relative to the tick. This is just difficult to do in the cumbersome offset wizard.

Tap to offset would help, but it should be more easy to use.
Oinari-sama

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

@oinari sama:
> those lines are skinnable.
It'd be good if you could give an example of an existing skin that does some of the things I suggested. None of the skin in my collection affects the offset wizard.

I'm now questioning more that why the existing wizard is so hard to use =.=
Topic Starter
Dexus
Offset wizard synopsis:

preface - upon first start osu! should have introductory tutorial pages to go through with basic descriptions of what all can be done (How to play osu! and what all the objects in the game are, where maps and skins can be found at, various essential tips) [this would reduce redundant questions that are constantly asked] at the end you would go through the offset wizard.

1) you start it and you can hear pings (they're nice, precise and clear to hear, it'd basically be a properly timed map with pings as the audio)
2) you tap a box along with the pings (Not with music from the library, it would be hard to judge it right)
3) osu! calculates how late/early you're hitting and then gives a suggestion for the offset
4) you can see a demo of the hits being played back and judge if it's right or not (can click along with it to see if it feels right)
5) go back to step 2 if it's not right

What I did for my offset is I played a long song and got high accuracy on it then looked at my hit error rate, then I tried to balance that with it's negative and positive numbers. After finding a decent offset (around -15ms) I used the Offset Wizard map with the offset wizard itself to refine the offset. I'm sitting at -18ms and the game is running perfect with it.

It really is a make or break deal when a game based on rhythm isn't timed right.
Winshley

Oinari-sama wrote:

1. Always load a standard song with low bpm for calibration (eg 60 bpm).
The wizard used to load tutorial song upon entering the wizard. It's no longer this way after the UI revamp iirc.

I believe this was to remove the bugged behavior where you will download the map automatically if the map doesn't exist in your osu! Songs folder (it opens osu!direct even if you're not supporter, but fails to do so because the game then realized about the supporter status too late :P). If the download fails or cancelled, the selected map will take place for the wizard instead.
Willsono

Dexus wrote:

Offset wizard synopsis:

preface - upon first start osu! should have introductory tutorial pages to go through with basic descriptions of what all can be done (How to play osu! and what all the objects in the game are, where maps and skins can be found at, various essential tips) [this would reduce redundant questions that are constantly asked] at the end you would go through the offset wizard.

1) you start it and you can hear pings (they're nice, precise and clear to hear, it'd basically be a properly timed map with pings as the audio)
2) you tap a box along with the pings (Not with music from the library, it would be hard to judge it right)
3) osu! calculates how late/early you're hitting and then gives a suggestion for the offset
4) you can see a demo of the hits being played back and judge if it's right or not (can click along with it to see if it feels right)
5) go back to step 2 if it's not right

What I did for my offset is I played a long song and got high accuracy on it then looked at my hit error rate, then I tried to balance that with it's negative and positive numbers. After finding a decent offset (around -15ms) I used the Offset Wizard map with the offset wizard itself to refine the offset. I'm sitting at -18ms and the game is running perfect with it.

It really is a make or break deal when a game based on rhythm isn't timed right.

This is what I want to see. Basically, there is something similar to what you've describe in Stepmania:

See how it went for good to flawless just because the player adjusted the offset to the beat? (Might sound off because of the machine doesn't need offsets normally, and my audio comes from Bluetooth, which has a latency) I think it is a good idea, since some offset are greater than just ~±10ms (like showed in the video)

- Support
Topic Starter
Dexus
Well in any case the audio wizard needs to be updated. Its getting my full support.

Changed the title to be a open to more viable solutions
kriers

MillhioreF wrote:

This is an awesome idea. I always felt the built-in offset wizard was somewhat lacking.
Spyrunite
I just realized a few says ago that my offset was off, I never understood what it was changing so I just hoped it was fine at 0. It would really help if there was an easier way.
xxbidiao
Actually what I think is important is something that "offset the judgment time" , or to say, keyboard offset.

In case some keyboard have ~100ms lag, you will find note falling down 100ms late obstruct you from playing the game completely.
Topic Starter
Dexus
Bump
TyroneSama
Support. Stepmania's offset wizard took 10 seconds and got it right the very first time: I'd love to see something like that come to Osu.
abraker
bump
Yotipo
+1, didn't notice this thread, but here's my input