forum

Moving on to oni+ maps: playstyle

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mekachi
Okay- hey. I'm a new-ish taiko player. I'm hoping to move onto oni and higher maps soon and would love some help.

My current playstyle isn't the greatest. I can't fully alternate as of currently and am not sure if it's worth the take to learn it (and I also don't know how to learn it, to begin with).

I alternate for close repeating patterns such as triplets or just basic k d k d k d beats.

How should I go about learning to fully alternate or learning a better playstyle for higher star rated maps?
Astrid Park
What are your binds btw?

You should practice more on alternating since you mostly do that, how should you go is this, always memorize the part where there are streams, since I don't know your binds, if you are a KDDK player, they mostly alternate streams, be proficient on triplets too, most oni maps have triplets, sometimes after that there will be a kkddk (or any pattern) next to it.

Wish this might help you (I'm not that good at giving advice). :)
arbiter of soup
this is completely false, literally any playstyle is viable at any level of play, off the top of my head we have at least 2 pure singletappers in the top 50, one of which is #2 US, and an index only player that's top 50 and #1 in their country, play what feels comfortable, no one will judge you if they have any integrity
Akazukin-MK2
Full-alt means always changing hand for every circle. As someone who tried to go full-alt memorizing patterns, I'd say it's not the best way, it's gonna be a problem with long patterns and streams (it is a problem for me right now). Sight-reading is probably the best, start with slow maps, even with HT but always play a different map every time so you won't need to rely on memory too much. You could as well pick a bunch of 7+ stream maps and make custom slower versions of them to practice with, that's what I wanted to do in the future too, eventually.
Astrid Park

hammygames wrote:

this is completely false, literally any playstyle is viable at any level of play, off the top of my head we have at least 2 pure singletappers in the top 50, one of which is #2 US, and an index only player that's top 50 and #1 in their country, play what feels comfortable, no one will judge you if they have any integrity
well uh sorry if it's false, it's up to him if he will go for another playstyle or just stick to his current one
dracobuster
I do not recommend alternating unless you absolutely have to. Unless you are good at full alternation from the start, you should single tap whenever possible and strive to maintain perfect rhythm and accuracy. The more accurate you are from the start the better you will be at staying on beat and not mashing when something hard comes up. You wont need to full alternate until 6 star+ and maybe a couple 5 stars, but it depends on the speed of the map. Then again its all up to how you play best.