forum

Remove title text during gameplay [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +245
show more
Kuroneko-sHerald
As it is now, the text starts about 1/4 before the first beat.
Maybe a way to start the text as soon as the song start if there is a short gap between start of the song -> first beat (if the map starts immediately, the text should start on the lead-in) would be fine, but that means re-coding the way the text is showing.
DakeDekaane
^

That should be better than removing it imo, the average lead-in time is 1-1.5s, it's enough to show the title thing, I find in that a nice feature, rage on me /o/
deadbeat

Zakdawg wrote:

I just don't see the point in having the title at the start. I already saw the name of the song while downloading it, or at the song select screen.
t/115441 your not the only one :/
theowest
I'm just going to move the posts from this topic t/114946/ to this one

edit: I can't :(
MillhioreF
but I can :D
theowest

MillhioreF wrote:

but I can :D
dude, you just made the original OP the last post in that thread. whatever, I guess this work.
Aqo
Millhiore you broke the topic wtf D:
MillhioreF
That's how merging threads works! It acts like all the posts from both threads were posted in one thread, and since the posts in your thread were posted later then they appear later in this thread.
theowest

MillhioreF wrote:

That's how merging threads works! It acts like all the posts from both threads were posted in one thread, and since the posts in your thread were posted later then they appear later in this thread.
that makes sense.
Aqo
I'm kinda sad because this is a major issue that's causing annoyance for anybody I know all the time now and at this rate it probably won't get addressed.
theowest

Aqo wrote:

I'm kinda sad because this is a major issue that's causing annoyance for anybody I know all the time now and at this rate it probably won't get addressed.
I kinda made it look better for you
Aqo

theowest wrote:

Aqo wrote:

I kinda made it look better for you
ty

it's really hard to concentrate on the map when this text is in the middle of the screen covering the notes, which can last for like over 30 notes when playing DT and with AR10.3 it's really a pain to try to play like this
Arczii
Good idea, totally signed this thread.
JMC
the text is very annoying if i play HR+HD D:
peppy, what if you make splash screen before enter the gameplay, like BMS opening song
like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FO3-PuHorg

sorry for bad english :3
Tshemmp
Oh yes please, this is incredibly annoying when playing with high ARs and you want 100%. The idea ^ by JMC would work well, too.
bwross
But it only serves to make plays that are supposed to be hard, harder as intended!! And sure it has nothing really to do with the actual rhythm of the music, but who cares!!! People should just learn to play better!!!! This game is all about small frustrating things that are completely pointless to the actual gameplay!!!! We wouldn't want to change any of those!!! Think of the poor old scores!!!!!! Unfair!!!!!!!!!
Clementine_old

Aqo wrote:

Game mechanics should not revolve around "fairness". Osu is still a game that is WIP, and development should not be stopped due to deprecated features that have been in use for a while.
Oinari-sama
I hate the title text too! They look great when you are spectating, but when you're the player it's another story...
Zare

bwross wrote:

But it only serves to make plays that are supposed to be hard, harder as intended!! And sure it has nothing really to do with the actual rhythm of the music, but who cares!!! People should just learn to play better!!!! This game is all about small frustrating things that are completely pointless to the actual gameplay!!!! We wouldn't want to change any of those!!! Think of the poor old scores!!!!!! Unfair!!!!!!!!!
That was like the dumbest post of 2013.
Now that this is an actual request: I support this as well.
Wishy
Supporting.

It would be ideal if the title got showed during some mid break (those maps that show the song title like at half the song since you get a break there) but since that won't get changed on every map just making it so you can not-see it would be the best.

I wouldn't use this feature anyways.
Akatsuki
Supporting this! Make us the option to turn it off or making it smaller. Display it during the break is nice too....
raww_old
Supporting this. The scrolling song title serves no purpose as already mentioned, and only proves to be preventing the player from reading the intro of almost every song properly.
Nilsso
SUPPORTING THIS!
primrose
Supporting this!
Splash screen would be cool!
I can't dim the title on gameplay anymore now, But I'm starting to be OK with the not dim-able title..
But still supporting! go go
Anzo
I thought I already posted in this thread, pomf

I somehow hate it when playing with HD so I'll support this one...
But if ppy doesn't like to remove it, I guess I prefer to have a watermarked text instead of a solid one.
Van246
Hm true, it does get in the way...
But I would still want the title to show up, so I would be great if it just shows during a break
Heibel
So many supporters on something that really does not matter if you can play properly \o/
Aqo

Heibel wrote:

So many supporters on something that really does not matter if you can play properly \o/
I'd love to see you write that again after you'd trying to play AR10.3 HD on >200bpm
Wishy
Which almost no one really does so who cares.
Oinari-sama
Do we really need so such a high profile text floating around amongst the beat circles? It's really getting on my nerves lately...

Saten
It can be distracting most of the time
Nidert
It's really a pain in the ass when trying to HDHR ;;
DakeDekaane
Sometimes I don't even notice that there's a white text in screen, you really should focus on hitting circles than looking at some random text that is easily ignorable.

I only find that the text could be annoying with whitish combo colors with any mod combination implying HD.

Edit: neither supporting or not, just giving my opinion based on the comments. I don't care if the text is gone or not.
jemhuntr
osu! draws it below circles, good enough

Edit: how about this:
if a song has around 5 starting seconds before the first note, show it. otherwise, wait for the first break before showing it. if the map has no starting delay nor any breaks, don't show it. also, allow the mapper to remove it.
Enzo_old
A splash screen would be nice, like the BMS opening. Although, the text covers the notes and it's a pain for me. I agree for the removal, or atleast, make a splash screen.
JMC
bump,
I should be extra focus when text appears
if WW created this request maybe its different story >.>
Hiryuu_old
Supporting with 3 stars.
Garven
osu! draws this behind circles, so this isn't really an issue. It seems to only be a problem if you have transparent circles, and there's an easy way to fix that. We can remove the title text in specific maps, but that would only be when the title/artist are storyboarded in. Go mod every map and tell people to add in a storyboard so you can disable it. I'm sure mappers would love to do that just for you.
Aqo
Or you can just allow users to disable the title text if they don't like it, so that everybody can enjoy maps in a way that's fun for them and while requiring no extra effort from anybody!

!!!!!!

But no, obviously, why take the win-win approach which is both incredibly easy to implement and pleases everybody, lets just walk with our face into a wall.
darkmiz
I suggest adding a toggle to hide the title.
show more