forum

Add a "Flashing" system to Osu

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Colecolecola
Flashing (or just flash) is a rock climbing term defined as "Completing a climb in one's first attempt with or without the aid of beta" (beta meaning information about the climb)

I believe this concept could be applied to Osu and make the game more interesting. With this concept, players could be rewarded for completing maps on their first attempt. This could add a whole new complexity to ranked
Osu playing, however there could be some side-effects.

(the following section is a string of thoughts about flashing in osu)
-If flashing were to be implemented we would first have to decide what qualifies for a flash in osu, I believe, not missing a single note on ones first attempt should qualify as a flash. So one wouldn't need a perfect multiplier or an S, to flash.
-However, one could argue that you need a perfect multiplier and an S score on one's first attempt, to flash.

-If flashed were to be implemented, there could be a "preview map" feature that would allow a person to lean a
map before playing on their first attempt. This would help with more consistent flashing.
-Or one could use the playtest feature in the map editor to playtest maps before officially playing them.
-If there wasn't a preview function, or one couldn't playtest the maps in the map editor, then people could create separate accounts to practice a map before flashing them on their official account. This would probably be undesirable outcome.

-What would the reward be for flashing? This is question has alot of answers, but here are some I came up with.
1) A overall score multiplier of 1.25X, 1.50X, 2X, ect...
2) A score bonus, a computer calculated/predetermined bonus, that would be added to your end score.
3) A medal/achievement.
4) A PP multiplier and or a PP bonus.

If anyone has any thoughts, ideas, or opinions share them below!
abraker
Proper term for this is "sight-read".

I don't think a bonus of any kind is appropriate for this, but something like a special letter grade would be cool
Izutsumi
Would be too easily abuseable, people could just practice the map offline then do it online once for that sweet score bonus
abraker
^ also that, yea