forum

Are there differences with the monitor you use?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aquamarine
I use a 10yr. old desktop monitor to play this game. I'm curious if there's a slight disadvantage to this.
Marcin
I think there is really no disadvantage at all. Only resolution could be (although, it's personal choice).
enik
Also new 120hz monitors could be slighty better for this game than regular 60hz (though it works only in window for osu afaik). That's all the difference I think.
TakuMii

enik wrote:

Also new 120hz monitors could be slighty better for this game than regular 60hz (though it works only in window for osu afaik). That's all the difference I think.
you can put custom refresh rates in the osu .cfg file now.
enik

YayMii wrote:

enik wrote:

you can put custom refresh rates in the osu .cfg file now.
Oh, that's good, thanks for the info.

EDIT: seems like it still doesn't work properly. It's capped at 60hz for OpenGL and 100hz for DirectX (don't own 120hz monitor myself, asked a friend to test).
Mythras

enik wrote:

10 year old monitors can go up to 120hz easily tho lol, its these new monitors that cant unless you pay 400 dollars
thelewa
Apricot uses a CRT monitor
winber1

thelewa wrote:

Apricot uses a CRT monitor
masterrace
usa
I played on 120 hz monitor with 1080p and my eyes died.
I went back to this laptop 1366x768 res 15" awesome monitor in less than a day (notice the beautiful line of lush dead pixels).
Never looked back, never went back.
The End.
JAKACHAN

Usa wrote:

I played on 120 hz monitor with 1080p and my eyes died.
I went back to this laptop 1366x768 res 15" awesome monitor in less than a day.
Never looked back, never went back.
The End.
U S A \o/

I've played with multiple monitors and they make very minor differences (Some colors are different blah blah blah).

Don't worry about people having an edge because of a monitor. Geckogates uses a pretty much antique monitor and it doesn't give him problems.
Daru
osu! is a rhythm game, and therefore relies far more on consistency than reaction time.

In other games like those in the FPS genre that are far more dependent upon reaction time, a few extra milliseconds of advance notice versus your opponent can make the difference in who gets the kill, but in rhythm games, you already know that a note is coming exactly one beat ahead, according to the song. It's much more about your feeling the beat of the song and reacting consistently on-beat than it is about getting the fastest possible reaction time, so your flavor of monitor should be of little concern, save for extreme cases where there is significant, very noticeable lag.
ct_warrior
If you can notice a difference between 125hz and 1000hz polling rate for your mouse, then you will definitely notice a difference between a standard LCD monitor and a high-end monitor (roughly 1.5x to 3.0x the difference of the polling rates).

The less input delay, the less you need to rely on muscle memory. It won't matter too much if you're extremely good and have the muscle memory down near perfectly, but it does help a weaker player by a small margin.
Triskelion91

JAKACHAN wrote:

Geckogates uses a pretty much antique monitor and it doesn't give him problems.
Antique CRT monitors have better refresh rates than the LCDs we have right now.
Hernan
Since I started playing I used a CTR monitor and about two months ago I was able to read AR10 just fine and even play AR 11 just ok, now that I switched to a LCD I can't read AR10 at all.
buny

Hernan wrote:

Since I started playing I used a CTR monitor and about two months ago I was able to read AR10 just fine and even play AR 11 just ok, now that I switched to a LCD I can't read AR10 at all.
that sounds so unlikely
Kanye West

Hernan wrote:

cathode tube ray?
Hernan

buny wrote:

Hernan wrote:

that sounds so unlikely
Why would I lie? I switched back to confirm. I'm not gonna use an old monitor just for osu! anyways.
Winshley

Kanye West wrote:

Hernan wrote:

cathode tube ray?
No, it's Crash Team Racing. *gets shot*

On topic, I play on various monitors (various desktop PCs and laptop PCs) and I usually don't see much problem on them. The only problem is more on the keyboard, mouse, and the surface for mouse because it's hard to get adapted to different setups from time to time. :(

What makes difference for me is probably the monitor size, because I sometimes play on a map with awfully small Circle Size and I had to adjust the screen resolution accordingly. I play on Windowed mode and borderless Fullscreen mode btw.
lolcubes
I have a 60hz LCD monitor and everything is just fine. Taiko would probably need 120hz to be comfortable though.
hinamizawan
smaller monitors = pp farming
larger monitors = score farming

seriously, using a 22" I can climb in pp and aiming for good tops easier rather than a 27", i'm planning getting a 1ms response time 23" someday.