forum

RB's element dump

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
RBRat3
I tend to do alot of stupid shit with osu's skin system mostly just junk pre-rendered sequences that I spit out like candy with no consideration of sharing (usually just get overwritten before a thought comes to mind). Someone apparently thought I should share XD

Things to consider before using "animated" elements...
-Not intended to be used on low resource machines.
-These elements will not help you play better if anything they may or may not obscure your ability to play.
-Some animated elements may have a lead-in of copied frames to offset playback and may need correction if not to your liking, A batch renamer will be handy.
-For god sakes don't use elements in beatmap submissions (probably get rejected anyways).
-You may edit, use, redistribute (I don't advise it) to your hearts content the only thing I ask is a mention if questions come up.
-Will bloat your skin folder.
-Are packaged in rar not osk.
-Do not follow standard skin sizes.
-Do not follow a common theme or stylization
-May have depth leakage (black feathering) which will need some TLC in photoshop to be fully eliminated.

So far these are the few "ok" ones still surviving till I make more to overwrite them :P

Note: gifs are for demonstration and are not approximate playback rate...
Hit Ring Target Set
Click animated element to download...

Gifs are 50% of original size
Mania LightingN's
Click animated element to download...

######################################~Non-Animated~###################################

Small primer on animated elements for those who wish to try their hand at it
I've seen many skin threads but none actually touch much on the subject of animated elements nor are there any introductions and or tutorials so I'll take the time to type out a simple intro on the subject and possibly save you a little trial and error time.

The most economical solution to create an animated element is to use a software package that has tool-sets for animating and exportation of PNG sequences with alpha channels. You can take the path of compilateing frames by hand using a graphic application of your choice (eg: Photoshop, Gimp, MS5, SAI) but keep in mind this is heavily time consuming and it is the year 2013, things have gotten a hell of a lot easier. I wont be touching on that subject so the choice is yours...

-Here is a small list of capable apps-
Adobe Flash Studio
Adobe After Effects
Autodesk 3dsMax
-Free options-
Blender
Synfig
(there is much more, google is your friend)

Another tool to have on hand is an app that can do batch renames since most of the applications you'll come across will use a number mask output for the filename sequence (eg: Ball-0000.png, Ball-0001.png, Ball-0002.png) osu! can't read this type of numbering so the extra zeros will need to be removed from the filenames. I use "File renamer basic" but im sure there are other applications that can perform this task.

osu! for the most part uses a 60fps timebase for most of its element playback so be sure to setup the framerate in your application otherwise you'll see that your apps animation preview and the final result have quite a bit of a speed difference. You can also achieve lower frame rates by doubleing frames or more (eg: 2 duplicates of every frames = 30fps) however it is ill advised as your animation will appear sluggish among other moving elements such as approach circles, fades, and hitcircle expansions which render at higher fps so the effect is little to be desired.

Now it would be a good time mention a few quirks on how osu! handles some of the elements and some honorable mentions before moving on to the list of timings...

-osu! will start animations late for all standard mode hitbursts except hit0, I got down to a lead-in of 4 frames so you can either blank 4 frames out or you can delay your animation by 4 frames from the start. hit0 doesn't have this quirk which is why the sequence length differs from its counterparts. (I would classify this as a bug but it's not problematic)

-Ranking screen will use the 1st frame of your hit animations as the hit image unless there is a base file provided without frame numbering (eg: hit100.png, hit300@2x.png etc..) which in turn those will be used on the ranking instead. This applies to standard mode ONLY.

-It's wise to stick to osu!'s default element resolutions but at the same time it is understandable to extend the default out to accomodate artistic direction. From what I trial and error I wouldn't extend resolutions past 600px² otherwise proformence gets hindered on less capable machines. If you do plan to distribute your skin amongst the osu! community be mindful that users do have less capable machines so extending your resolutions outside of the norm will limit the spread of users that can effectively enjoy your skin.

-Static @2x elements will still function alongside normal sized animated elements, Adding both normal & @2x animated elements is a lot of extra bulk for something that may or may not get utilized but completely up to you. Just take notice that not everyone wants to download a fully fleshed out 100+Mb skin.

-Manias LightingN is additive so images produced will be brighter than the original. If the colors are close to white odds are it will be overpowered and flood to white depending on what's underneath the image to give it firepower. This is easily tamed with higher saturation and adding black into the mix via brightness adjustments. Opacity adjustments offer very little in the way of controlling it so it's best to use the later.

-Elements such as mania-hit & lightingN have unstable sequence lengths meaning that every now and then it will shoot out an extra 1-2 frames. This is easily noticeable as a flicker at the end of the sequence as it begins to start a loop. The list below takes this into account but is up to you on how to deal with it by either blanking 2 extra frames or continuing your animation, if it's a looper this can be ignored.

-Don't do more work than you have to especially for mind-numbingly short animations. There is little gratification to gain from spending several hours on a element that only lasts 5 frames where playback goes by at the blink of an eye, Little chance that someone will "Oooo & Ahhh" at the frames you polished off.

-Don't add more frames into your osu! skin than necessary, the sequence length in the list bellow is accurate to the best of my ability. No need to have extra files & space taken up by frames that will never get shown.

-Here is a list of animatable elements with their frame time and more-

-List is compiled with elements I had experience with and doesn't include all possible animatable elements.
-Frame length does not take frame 0 into account, be sure to add it in.
-Image size reflects the current default 1x element size.
-table will be updated periodically.

More to come when I get around to it...
jemhuntr
Holy freaking shit that looks so damn awesome like hell. I shall steal them. Oh btw what do you use to make those?
Lunavista
Woah it's all so awesome o_o!
TakuMii
Liking it :) although LightningN is a bit too flashy for my tastes.
Topic Starter
RBRat3

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

Holy freaking shit that looks so damn awesome like he'll. I shall steal them. Oh btw what do you use to make those?
Usually everything but most are built in max.

YayMii wrote:

Liking it :) although LightningN is a bit too flashy for my tastes.
That was made before LightingN's became additive so originally it wasn't that flashy :P
jemhuntr
autodesk 3ds max...?
Topic Starter
RBRat3

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

autodesk 3ds max...?
yup
kona x taros
Nice, I will use this on my next Osu!Mania skin :3c
N A L U
Nice job, this is so cool! :)
//me downloads
JackieW
Wow, that's awesome~
DJNightmare
Awesome, i tried something like this.

Created from After Effects

http://puu.sh/1PC5T
Xiao_old
Cool shit.

I like that mania hold lighting.
jemhuntr
i can't seem to download them tho. mind reuploading lightingL and hit300?
Topic Starter
RBRat3

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

i can't seem to download them tho. mind reuploading lightingL and hit300?
Links are fine, Might have had something to do with servers being out earlier...
Frozenemerald
i want to download mania lighting how download it?
Topic Starter
RBRat3

MioAkiyama wrote:

i want to download mania lighting how download it?

Just click the image
Frozenemerald
Okay Thanks :)
Deceitful
frickin awesome
Topic Starter
RBRat3
Notice: Will start doing a slider ball a day till a character limit is reached at which point they'll be moved to a separate thread :)

Scratch that, Rules say I cant embed a ton of images...
XinCrin
OMG Yes please :3 .
Abygall

DJNightmare wrote:

Awesome, i tried something like this.

Created from After Effects

http://puu.sh/1PC5T
Wow!Cute♥
dfsgh75659
Link is dead