forum

Practice - slower than half speed?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FlameseeK
I know this has been requested before and has been denied, but it kinda baffles me that there's no practice mod that allows you to slow beatmaps down to 50% / 25% of their original speed. I'm not sure if 25% would actually come in handy, but 50% hell yes! I'm very used to practicing things slowly first to build up a good foundation, because I had to do the same thing when I was learning how to play the guitar in order to play ridiculously fast licks properly. And slowing things down in practice worked like a charm.

So here's the thing - I've read suggestions like "edit the song" a few times though. Is there a practical way to create a new version of a beatmap to make it 50% slower?
silmarilen
1: wrong section
2: if you need to slow down a map by so much, its too hard and you should just play different maps
Aqo
I can slow down maps for you to any speed you want. Just ask.

(usually people ask for speedups. ahuehue)

Seriously tho you'll be better off just playing easier maps first...
Kanye West

silmarilen wrote:

2: if you need to slow down a map by so much, its too hard and you should just play different maps
This.

Sort your beatmaps by BPM, play the slower ones first and work up your speed.
Purple

FlameseeK wrote:

I know this has been requested before and has been denied, but it kinda baffles me that there's no practice mod that allows you to slow beatmaps down to 50% / 25% of their original speed. I'm not sure if 25% would actually come in handy, but 50% hell yes! I'm very used to practicing things slowly first to build up a good foundation, because I had to do the same thing when I was learning how to play the guitar in order to play ridiculously fast licks properly. And slowing things down in practice worked like a charm.

So here's the thing - I've read suggestions like "edit the song" a few times though. Is there a practical way to create a new version of a beatmap to make it 50% slower?
I'm not sure what you mean by slowing down

If its BPM, then use Half-Time. If its AR, then use Easy.

I too did learn the game by playing insanes on HT instead of [easy], but whatever.
Loves
Maybe you should play some easier songs.

-thelewa
Topic Starter
FlameseeK
@ silmarilen
Sorry, I'm new to the webiste. Which section would be the right one? Hopefully a mod will move it if that's the case, though I'd rather not be a hassle to anyone.

Now, I do play easier maps for practice. But why should I play only easier ones? That makes no sense at all.

I'd rather be able to play the ones I please as long as it's not too hard to adjust the beatmap. In fact, there are several advantages to this. When I wanted to learn difficult guitar patterns, I would always practice them at a very slow speed to master them and avoid sloppiness. Even if doing the pattern at normal speed won't be feasible for a while, it's still very helpful to improve your technique.

I could play the guitar faster than like 95% of the people that I knew without being sloppy and as fast as nearly everyone else to say the least, so yeah I believe my practice approach should work just as well for osu. The only difference here is that a slower beatmap version is required.

@ aqo

I'd love to have a 50% version of The Big Black and Airman! I think they could be great practice maps. I can beat Airman on slow just fine, but doing the jumps more slowly could be helpful imo. As for The Big Black, some of those jumps are very difficult but I can see myself doing them at least on slow if I work on it.
winber1

silmarilen wrote:

This doesn't really kinda answer the OP is asking for.

The problem is that peppy doesn't believe in adding "practice" tools to osu! I'm not exactly sure why he doesn't like the idea though.

But the ability to adjust the beatmaps tempo to your will is a immensely helpful tool.

On another note, playing easier songs also helps because playing a variety of songs in which you can get like at least 93%+ really helps to improve already learned skills or help you learn to snap better... and a lot of other random stuff I can think of.... Oh like accuracy too.

However once you get to high level play, you are kinda forced to just drill hard ass songs out sometimes to improve. Like honestly, nothing is improving my accuracy. like wut. I don't understand help please.
Aqo

FlameseeK wrote:

I'd love to have a 50% version of The Big Black and Airman! I think they could be great practice maps.
Nope, you're wrong, those are quite possibly the worst maps to practice on.

If you're serious about practicing efficiently, take a look at my profile. /runs
Topic Starter
FlameseeK

Aqo wrote:

Nope, you're wrong, those are quite possibly the worst maps to practice on.
Why do you say so? Airman is a great beatmap to practice jumps. I might even be able to pass it without any mods if I work on my muscle memory because my big issue is those jumps. My jumps are worse with a keyboard + mouse than mouse only. I was a mouse-only player a long time ago, but now I play with a keyboard and need to get used to doing jumps with it.

EDIT: On side a note, if I knew how to properly reduce the speed of these 2 songs, I would have already done so. This is probably the only thing that bugs me in Osu.

Btw, I think I've talked about beating stuff on slow a few times. Read - HT.
Aqo

FlameseeK wrote:

Why do you say so? Airman is a great beatmap to practice jumps.
No, it's not, it's fucking shit to practice jumps.
Half of the map has very low-spaced movements that won't train your jump ability /at all/, the other half has very spaced jumps that will also not train you at all because they'll be far above your level to read and try to follow correctly, as well as having patterns that you simply won't be able to read and will only mash or get lost on.

Five plays on eighto will help your jump ability more than 1000 retries on airman, regardless of whatever speed you play the map on, HT or not.
Topic Starter
FlameseeK
My problem is not reading, my problem is execution. Maybe speed is a problem without mods, yeah, but I can pass Airman with 85% acc if I use HT, so yeah it's mostly accuracy - which I'm already working on - and jumps. Airman is definitely not above my level if I use HT, otherwise it only gets tricky because the original speed makes jumps very difficult. Having a slower version would help me get my accuracy up even if I don't get good enough to pass without half time. And no, I don't blindly mash through any parts of the song either, I took my time to figure out the patterns.

I guess this is turning into a pointless discussion, since all I wanted to do was figure out how to make a regular beatmap slower than HT without taking hours of trial and error in the first place. I don't mind playing easier maps and I don't absolutely *must have* slower versions of these maps, but it would be really helpful. So if anyone knows how to do so, please help me out.

And yeah, I wanna practice jumps, so beatmap suggestions are always welcome. But that still doesn't answer the main question, which is how to properly reduce the speed of a beatmap without messing things up... assuming it's possible.

EDIT

I don't want to be a jerk, so thanks to everyone who's trying to help me. I'm still looking for an answer though. :P

@ winber1
Yup, I know there is more to it than just practicing monster songs with HT or something. But I already play songs that are not too difficult and I've been working on my accuracy for a while. It's not like I only play songs that are way above my level as I did some time ago anymore. I'm sure you get it. ;)
Loves

FlameseeK wrote:

My problem is not reading, my problem is execution. Maybe speed is a problem without mods, yeah, but I can pass Airman with 85% acc if I use HT, so yeah it's mostly accuracy - which I'm already working on - and jumps. Airman is definitely not above my level if I use HT, otherwise it only gets tricky because the original speed makes jumps very difficult. Having a slower version would help me get my accuracy up even if I don't get good enough to pass without half time. And no, I don't blindly mash through any parts of the song either, I took my time to figure out the patterns.

I guess this is turning into a pointless discussion, since all I wanted to do was figure out how to make a regular beatmap slower than HT without taking hours of trial and error in the first place. I don't mind playing easier maps and I don't absolutely *must have* slower versions of these maps, but it would be really helpful. So if anyone knows how to do so, please help me out.

And yeah, I wanna practice jumps, so beatmap suggestions are always welcome. But that still doesn't answer the main question, which is how to properly reduce the speed of a beatmap without messing things up... assuming it's possible.
How is your play count 10k and your level 56? I'm level 51 with only 3k playcount :S
Topic Starter
FlameseeK

Lily-Kun wrote:

How is your play count 10k and your level 56? I'm level 51 with only 3k playcount :S
Lol, that's because I would always play fairly challenging songs. I'm the Retry Guy. ^^

I've always played for a few weeks and then quit for a long. It's not like I'm a super regular player, otherwise I'd be MUCH better than I am as of now. And I never cared about my accuracy or rank much.

On a side note, I've always been more concerned with my skill level as an RTS player. So warcraft 3 was my priority a while ago, and at one point starcraft 2 will become my main priority. But for now, I'm playing osu a bit more.

EDIT

@ Aqo
Eighto looks pretty sweet for practice, thanks for the suggestion. Airman is still in my heart though. If nobody helps me, I'll keep practicing Airman with HT from time to time. That's just how I roll I guess.
Loves
:cry:

FlameseeK wrote:

Lily-Kun wrote:

Lol, that's because I would always play fairly challenging songs. I'm the Retry Guy. ^^

I've always played for a few weeks and then quit for a long. It's not like I'm a super regular player, otherwise I'd be MUCH better than I am as of now. And I never cared about my accuracy or rank much.

On a side note, I've always been more concerned with my skill level as an RTS player. So warcraft 3 was my priority a while ago, and at one point starcraft 2 will become my main priority. But for now, I'm playing osu a bit more.
Lily-Kun suggests that you play hards and FC them instead of doing Big Black over 1500 times hehe~
Topic Starter
FlameseeK

Lily-Kun wrote:

Lily-Kun suggests that you play hards and FC them instead of doing Big Black over 1500 times hehe~
Done that quite a bit recently. It's good for my accuracy, for sure. I was hardly able to FC anything, but I'm getting better at it now, thanks to proper practice. But I can't just play very easy songs, I love challenging stuff! Which is why I want to know how to reduce the speed of songs to 50%, so they can be better practice than they currently are and still be a lot of fun. >.<
GoldenWolf
Or try to find maps that are still challenging for you at normal speed ?
Loves
Done that quite a bit recently. It's good for my accuracy, for sure. I was hardly able to FC anything, but I'm getting better at it now, thanks to proper practice. But I can't just play very easy songs, I love challenging stuff! Which is why I want to know how to reduce the speed of songs to 50%, so they can be better practice than they currently are and still be a lot of fun. >.<
Try playing hard on this map http://osu.ppy.sh/b/123873

Its Lily-Kuns favourites :3

I can fc it baka!
Topic Starter
FlameseeK

GoldenWolf wrote:

Or try to find maps that are still challenging for you at normal speed ?
Yeah, right. :roll:

Most of these "you should practice easier/normal/not-so-hard songs" thing is not very helpful, because I already do everything that is being suggested. And whether I do it or not, this won't change the fact that I want to play certain songs at a slower than HT speed. Playing playable songs won't make me not want to play/practice a more difficult one. Thanks though.

EDIT

@ lily-kun
Thanks for the suggestion! I have to say, I'm not good at FCing songs, but after FCing The Bad Touch on insane today in my first try, this doesn't look too hard at all. Maybe I can SS it. ^^
Zare
take the audio file, open it in an audio program (Audacity for example can do that afaik), and then make the mp3 slower. drag it into osu, copy the hitcircles from the map, snap them to the new BPM, play the map.

I don't see how that would be useful or fun in any way though.
GoldenWolf

FlameseeK wrote:

Yeah, right. :roll:

Most of these "you should practice easier/normal/not-so-hard songs" thing is not very helpful, because I already do everything that is being suggested. And whether I do it or not, this won't change the fact that I want to play certain songs at a slower than HT speed. Playing playable songs won't make me not want to play/practice a more difficult one. Thanks though.
By challenging I mean something you might struggle to pass at a normal speed, not something you can SS in a few tries.
Mythras
I never got better by FCing or SSing hards, i did get lots of pp from it. I improved playing those same maps on DT and hard rock, and playing more difficult insanes etc.

But if you wanna improve just play stuff that's really hard with no fail on. If it's too fast somehow even with half time then dont do it lol.

orz
Zare

Unkind wrote:

But if you wanna improve just play stuff that's really hard with no fail on.
Pls no. No Fail is not a good mod for practice. You can use it for fun, but not when actually trying to improve.
Playing a map using No Fail will make you pay less attention to the parts that would make you fail nomod. You ignore these parts because you are allowed to, so you will actually get worse at these parts instead of better
Aqo

Zarerion wrote:

Pls no. No Fail is not a good mod for practice. You can use it for fun, but not when actually trying to improve.
This is the opposite of the truth.

When playing without nofail, you're worried about passing the map, which makes you mash on parts just to survive instead of playing correctly. When playing with nofail, you can just concentrate about trying to play everything correctly and then you're *really* learning and improving. Nofail is the best mod for practicing.
buny
the audio.
Topic Starter
FlameseeK

Zarerion wrote:

take the audio file, open it in an audio program (Audacity for example can do that afaik), and then make the mp3 slower. drag it into osu, copy the hitcircles from the map, snap them to the new BPM, play the map.

I thought about this, but I wasn't sure if there was an easier way. I'll try to copy the hitcircles, hopefully it will work just fine.

EDIT: Do I have to do anything specific to copy and paste hitcircles to another beatmap? Osu doesn't seem to work like windows in general in that it apparently forgets everything I copied.

EDIT 2: I've tried to copy most to the stuff from the notepad file, but the hitcircles are just as fast as in the original even though I set the bpm to 100 instead of 200. This is kind of confusing. T.T

EDIT 3: Actually, the hitcircles are as fast as the original version, but the sliders are totally off. I definitely need some help to get this right.
winber1

Zarerion wrote:

Unkind wrote:

Playing a map using No Fail will make you pay less attention to the parts that would make you fail nomod. You ignore these parts because you are allowed to, so you will actually get worse at these parts instead of better
Depends on the circumstances. Nofail is still my best friend in terms of practicing.
DakeDekaane

FlameseeK wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

I thought about this, but I wasn't sure if there was an easier way. I'll try to copy the hitcircles, hopefully it will work just fine.

EDIT: Do I have to do anything specific to copy and paste hitcircles to another beatmap? Osu doesn't seem to work like windows in general in that it apparently forgets everything I copied.

EDIT 2: I've tried to copy most to the stuff from the notepad file, but the hitcircles are just as fast as in the original even though I set the bpm to 100 instead of 200. This is kind of confusing. T.T

EDIT 3: Actually, the hitcircles are as fast as the original version, but the sliders are totally off. I definitely need some help to get this right.
Put the circles in the correct place in the timeline and adjust the slider velocity in the timing section. As you changed the length of the song, you need to scale the objects in the time.
MillhioreF
I could probably whip up a quick java program to multiply the speed of a map automatically. I'm too lazy at the moment though \:D/
and also you'd need to edit the audio yourself to match.
buny

Zarerion wrote:

Unkind wrote:

no fail is not a good mod for practice, that's why many people that have that mod on tend to improve faster
Mythras

Zarerion wrote:

Unkind wrote:

You cant say nofail is a bad mod based on how you feel while using it. Not everybody is going to be the same. Not everybody will not care about difficult parts just because they dont die. etc

Sounds like you need practice with nofail to use it correctly.
show more