forum

Top 25 Players of 2012 (osu! Standard) Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Purple

Wishy wrote:

By the way it does not matter what peripherals you play with. If you get a score by playing mouse only and then I come and beat you by using a tablet and a keyboard, then I'm better and that's it. Voting someone because of "how he plays" is retarded, it would be as stupid as saying some guy is better than Messi cause he's got 1 leg and still manages to do something. (I know you can't choose between having 1 or 2 legs if you already have 1)
Are you actively trying to get people to hate you?
CXu
Cookiezi shouldn't be allowed to have #1 because he didn't play for over half of 2012 \:D/
Purple

CXu wrote:

Cookiezi shouldn't be allowed to have #1 because he didn't play for over half of 2012 \:D/
I think cookiezi already secured the #1 award for 2013

... But you never know for sure
CXu
15 days of 2013 -> cookiezi will be #1
ok.
Purple

CXu wrote:

ok.
Lol I actually do think that if he quit right now he could still get it
Sorry
Wishy

Purple wrote:

Wishy wrote:

By the way it does not matter what peripherals you play with. If you get a score by playing mouse only and then I come and beat you by using a tablet and a keyboard, then I'm better and that's it. Voting someone because of "how he plays" is retarded, it would be as stupid as saying some guy is better than Messi cause he's got 1 leg and still manages to do something. (I know you can't choose between having 1 or 2 legs if you already have 1)
No, I'm stating facts. It just doesn't matter if you play mouse tablet or touchscreen, all it matters is how good you are, not how. Tablet is superior to mouse, ok, great, you are not a super pro because you are good at mouse, you are just good.

CXu wrote:

ok.
He still has some unbeaten 2011 epic scores, he's always been like an year or two away from everyone else so yeah he might aswell quit now and still be the best for an year or two. Let us remember he FC'd Airman on Dec 2010 (well he missed on that impossible pattern that then got removed but FC'd everything else), up to date we still have only 1 FC aside from his. Of course Clementine's one does not count. He did many things years ago that are still unsurpassed.
CXu
But that makes him the best player of all time, not the best one during 2013 because he didn't play.
Wishy
Just using that as an example as why we are saying he might be #1 2013 even if he quit today, it always takes the rest of the players an year or two to beat his old supah pro scores, and even after years only the best of the best of the best do so. :p

He already got quite an arsenal of sick scores that I don't see many players doing anytime soon, maybe Niko.
silmarilen
he got #1 on freedom dive the day he came back, how can that not be the best player of the year?
thelewa
I'm glad I told Kanye to make this thread

imagine if you had quarreled for 5 pages in the actual poll thread
JappyBabes

Wishy wrote:

Let us remember he FC'd Airman on Dec 2010 (well he missed on that impossible pattern that then got removed but FC'd everything else), up to date we still have only 1 FC aside from his. Of course Clementine's one does not count.
don't post without proof, saying the same thing over and over doesn't make it fact
KRZY
Please enlighten me, why does Clementine's not count?
Topic Starter
Kanye West

Purple wrote:

Wishy wrote:

Don't make bad posts like this.

If you disagree with him, please tell us why rather than make childish comments like this.

-GN wrote:

Just a question: does the order of the lists count? If so, what counting system are you guys using?

Also a minor suggestion, too - what about adding a tiny description, no more than 2-3 words telling the viewers what exactly makes the currently shown user a candidate for this list? Not every user around knows who the people on the list is. I could see this being hard to come up with, though.

Thanks.
Yes, order counts. I'm going by a point system, 15 points for #1 to 1 point for #15, etc. As for that second part, you mean in the video?

thelewa wrote:

Oh yeah, if you're going to do the commentary things this year

then please get better commentaries than lesslunatic did last year
Already noted, thanks
ryza
I think some who deserve top 25 will end up being left out due to the vote limitation

Why is it capped at 15?
Wishy

KRZY wrote:

Please enlighten me, why does Clementine's not count?
I was gonna answer but my post would lead into some flame wars and stuff that peppy won't like. If you want I can answer via PM.

JappyBabes wrote:

don't post without proof, saying the same thing over and over doesn't make it fact
I know but since I'm not really sure I'd rather not count it. Same reason I wouldn't count any Tom's play.
Purple

Kanye West wrote:

Purple wrote:

Don't make bad posts like this.

If you disagree with him, please tell us why rather than make childish comments like this.
Huhh!?

Voting someone because of "how he plays" is retarded
Kanye calm down, I don't need to give this a serious answer. I tend to ignore insults, but I got kinda curious because wishy has an habit of making outrageous statements

Specially when the answer is so obvious that anyone could come up with it

I.E. FC'ing Airman with mouse-only would make you legendary, no matter what position you get. It would serve as evidence of your capabilities if you didn't limit yourself so much. Someone then beating your score with tablet + KB wouldn't really matter as much in people's perspective (although FCing Airman is a remarkably feat in itself, so it would bring some fame anyway).

Heres hoping you never get any mod/admin position
those
I'm seeing too few val0108 votes
Wishy
Kanye calm down, I don't need to give this a serious answer. I tend to ignore insults, but I got kinda curious because wishy has an habit of making outrageous statements

Specially when the answer is so obvious that anyone could come up with it

I.E. FC'ing Airman with mouse-only would make you legendary, no matter what position you get. It would serve as evidence of your capabilities if you didn't limit yourself so much. Someone then beating your score with tablet + KB wouldn't really matter as much in people's perspective (although FCing Airman is a remarkably feat in itself, so it would bring some fame anyway).

Heres hoping you never get any mod/admin position
I don't care. If you are pro mouse player and get FC on Airman, then tablet player comes and gets FC too. Who's got the best score? None, they are both as good, the mouse player shouldn't be considered better just because he is mouse. But you will get tons of people saying the mouse player is better BECAUSE HE PLAYS MOUSE, no, he isn't better. You are as good as you are no matter what peripherals you use and that's it, doesn't matter how good you could get by getting a tablet or a touch screen. From what we know you could even be worse, there are players who have always prefered mouse over tablet.

Get the point?
Bweh
Your choice of peripherals is independent of how good you are. We You guys are here to pick the best players of the year; if someone opted for mouse--for whatever reason they may have--they would be in for some praise if they managed to equal a tablet player's amazing score in some beast map (i.e. FCing Airman). However, their skill levels would be equal. It'd be undeniable that the mouse player did some more effort, as it is generally agreed that it takes more effort to train with mouse than a tablet, but they'd still be equals. Unless you want to put effort as a factor in this poll, do not let peripherals cloud your judgement.

Sure, I bet it took a lot of blood and sweat for Shizuru to be as good as he is being mouse only, but that shouldn't put him over other players that could easily trump him.

Also, I can't vote anyway, but I'd like Silynn's question answered.
JappyBabes

those wrote:

I'm seeing too few val0108 votes
i'm seeing too few impressive val0108 scores

fartownik wrote:

4311 wrote:

Also would be fun to see something like "special" which will include replays from players who are not good enough for top20 but still have amazing worth watching plays. Like sasakure, AIDIA etc.
sasakure cheats, he admitted it himself
not on sasakure specifically though iirc?
xsrsbsns
he might not be the better player overall

but on a map like airman the mouse score/play would be more impressive
Wishy
It will be more impressive, yet not better.
Bweh
And as we are voting for who are the best players, impression can go down the drain. We're You're trying to be objective here. At least you should be.
Wishy
Millhiore es #1.
Topic Starter
Kanye West
Agreed with both Wishy and xsrsbsns. Impressive replays from playstyle shouldn't really influence overall player skill.

Oh and I changed the cutoff from September 1st to October 1st because apparently I can't count months of the year. I meant for players that joined more than 3/4 into the year being unable to vote.
fabriciorby
wishy is right and kriers is going to be the commentator
MillhioreF

Wishy wrote:

Millhiore es #1.
For future reference, I didn't edit it to say that. also it's very silly of you to think that
Bweh
Maybe by 2013's end
Purple

Wishy wrote:

doesn't matter how good you could get by getting a tablet or a touch screen.
It does matter to me, and to some other people too. Important enough for me to take it as a factor in deciding which are the best 15 players. But thats fine, its all just opinion, and I'm too lazy to vote anyway. Lets just try to not throw insults around.

Also, I would definitely include MillhioreF on the top 15.
Bweh
Millhiore is amazing, especially with that playcount, but it's still too soon. I don't think he's top 25 material yet.
Wishy

Purple wrote:

Wishy wrote:

doesn't matter how good you could get by getting a tablet or a touch screen.
It does matter to me, and to some other people too. Important enough for me to take it as a factor in deciding which are the best 15 players. But thats fine, its all just opinion, and I'm too lazy to vote anyway. Lets just try to not throw insults around.

Also, I would definitely include MillhioreF on the top 15.
Meh.
Thatgooey
I vote for Shizuru- because he is a stupidly fast player, not just for mouse only. He has one of the best HD/DT of anyone regardless of the tools he uses. His replays are impressive before you find out he is mouse only. He's not quite top10, but I would say he could be top15 or 20.

Also some people say that cookiezi didn't play enough in 2012, but he had PLENTY of impressive scores in 2012 that put him atop the hill. He played enough at the start and end of 2012 and showed that he didn't need to be playing all of the months in between to prove himself. He played the first and last three months of the year and then took 6 months off. During those two periods he did big black (not beaten from the time he set it until 1900 plays from rrtyui a month or so ago), SS'd airman, freedom dive, rainbow dash, ect. If he can take 6 months off playing and come back to take rank 1 within the week and begin to stomp on everyone's scores like it's nothing, then he's the best of 2012. He ended the year on a terror, and is still going.

People like SilviA and Remilia, though, I understand being left out. They haven't done much this year, despite all they did in 2011. They are still amazing players, but haven't done much with their sporadic and limited activity. Others have out-shined them, so it makes sense to leave them off and recognize those who are still posting scores.

Also, making a top15 is hard. Lot of good players can be considered for the 5 spots that aren't cookiezi, niko, rucker, ww, rrtyui. Only a mere10 spots to sort out who makes the cut in an ocean of talent. Way more than 10 other names could be considered deserving of a spot. Will be interesting to see how it turns out!
those

Wishy wrote:

If you are pro mouse player and get FC on Airman, then tablet player comes and gets FC too. Who's got the best score? None, they are both as good, the mouse player shouldn't be considered better just because he is mouse.
If you get 100% on a math test without a calculator and your friend gets 100% on the same math test with a calculator, who is more skilled?
Thatgooey

those wrote:

Wishy wrote:

If you are pro mouse player and get FC on Airman, then tablet player comes and gets FC too. Who's got the best score? None, they are both as good, the mouse player shouldn't be considered better just because he is mouse.
If you get 100% on a math test without a calculator and your friend gets 100% on the same math test with a calculator, who is more skilled?
Well if it is a basic trig test, the guy with the calculator is wasting his time, because you can just memorize some easy identities. Having a calculator will just make it harder.
ryza
This thread should probably not turn into a mouse vs tablet discussion, that's been done to death

it's really silly and seems kind of off-topic to me, but whatever /o/

skill is based upon results, not methods. seriously. people do what is easiest for them, usually, just because someone plays mouse-only doesn't mean they can pick up tablet+kb and play even better than they already are.
Wishy

those wrote:

1- It doesn't matter, what we care are results, doesn't matter how you do it.

2- They are not doing the same thing. One is doing mental/on paper calculations, the other one is inputting data on a calculator to get the results.

3- Your example makes no sense, it would work if you replaced calculator with hacks/cheats since what you are mentioning is one guy using a tool to do something the other guy is doing by his own. If skill means being able to calculate hard math w/o using any tools and then get somewhat accurate results, then using a calculator is cheating since you are bypassing the process you are supposed to go through to get results.

Please stop arguing cause really that example does not only prove you wrong but is just retarded cause you are mixing up cheating with tablet/mouse differences. The calculator would just be a tool that helps you by-pass hard stuff, since by using it you don't need to do any calculations at all so you are not playing. It's pretty much the same as using aim hack + relax hack.
JAKACHAN
Arguing isn't going to solve anything.

People will be opinionated... Congratulations that's the nature of asking hundreds of people to vote on who "THEY" think are they top 25 players in a year.

/argument
Wishy
This is not about opinions it's about people not understanding what being a top player means. And it's not that I THINK A TOP PLAYER IS THIS, a top player is an elite player whose one of the best (overall), that's it, doesn't matter if you think XXX should be considered a top player because OMG he can do hard stuff on mouse (assuming he is not even close to top players).
JAKACHAN

Kanye West wrote:

vote who for you were actually 15 best players in osu! in the year 2012
When something like this is stated of course opinions are going to be included. The only way to get a legitimate top 25 players would be to have only people who are knowledgeable enough in high level play vote and that would take a ridiculous amount of effort and time for a video that really is in the end pointless.

It's the same thing in RL situations.
AdonixSS

Kanye West wrote:

Yes, order counts. I'm going by a point system, 15 points for #1 to 1 point for #15, etc.
Personally, I don't think linear-scale scoring should be adopted.

For example, if the scores are very tight between #1 and #2, any extreme cases will make the interval between two of them disperse. In case an extreme vote puts #2 into #10, #2 will eventually lost 10 marks, whereas each vote #1 and #2 ideally should have only an interval of 1 mark. #2 will suffer a great loss of marks. Deviation will then be resulted.

I know that it is very difficult to create an absolutely just score method, but i hope it could be a reference to make the result more objective. And I am really looking forward to the video :D
show more