forum

Early/late meter. [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +186
show more
theowest

Jarrod wrote:

This could work... But I dunno about totally removing hitbursts...
most pro people have done so for the 300 hit-burst.
Hanyuu
Hm the game notedrop has such a thing in the result screen. Are you thinking about something like this?
theowest

Hanyuu wrote:

Hm the game notedrop has such a thing in the result screen. Are you thinking about something like this?
What the heck is that? Can you provide us with more information about that notedrop thing?
Hanyuu
lol it's first on google but ok.
heres the website: http://www.chromatiqa.org/?page_id=207
it's a flash game
theowest
btw, your example is more about this request t/87536/ if it's going to be shown on the result screen
Topic Starter
Jarrbear
Maybe the late/early hitbursts would work... and perhaps they could be colour coded or something like the hitbursts are?

also then pro's could still have 300's hidden because well, that's a perfect hit lol
Hanyuu
Like a green 100 for early and a red 100 for late or the other way around. I think thats the least distracting way lol. But all in all i think showing this during game is distracting too much that its worsening your timing if keep paying attention to that (about the ms over circle <--)
Kitsunemimi

Hanyuu wrote:

This is really cool imo, I'd definitely like to see something like this.

Also, I actually really like this idea of colour-ramped hitbursts. Like, the colour of a hitburst can be subtly tinted depending on how your timing was (with 1 ms precision of course). It should be subtle so that hitbursts still look the proper colour when you hit them, yet during streams, you can notice if it's getting too... well.. I dunno, red, or green or something. Like, usually if you're gradually falling out of rhythm, this would show up as gradually increasing amounts of early/lateness, and therefore, with this feature, will result in gradually reddening hitbursts (or greenifying...).

.........Yeah! :D Something like that would be great.
Tear
Coloring all hitbursts this way would change the gameplay too much, my idea is to color only 100s and 50s to let you know when you're too late or too early. Yes, in a perfect world, every circle is mapped on an actual sound so you can compare timing. We don't live in that world.
EDIT: Star~
Axel
If this ever gets into osu!mania Next to the Judgement Could be a + or a - (Plus or Minus) Just like the game Called "In The Groove"
Winshley

Aqo wrote:

I'd rather if hitbursts were removed altogether and instead of hitburst sprites, every time you click on an object, a simple text number would pop up right above it (in the same fashion as a hitburst, except it's just a text overlay) with the ms amount you hit off timing.
In other words seeing a lot of -1 ~ -72 values would tell you you're hitting too early, seeing 1~72 values means you're hitting too late, etc.
Those texts would be simply white text with a black 1px border (or "shadow", whatever you call it, basically an effect for the letters to stand out over bright background) and every time a new number appears the previous one would fade to black slightly more to make only the latest appearing number very clear to read for the case for fast streams.

This is a little different from OP's suggestion but, I believe, it accomplishes what he wanted in the best way.
This has been what I imagined last month. I wish that this is available.
Full Tablet

Jarrod wrote:

Maybe the late/early hitbursts would work... and perhaps they could be colour coded or something like the hitbursts are?

also then pro's could still have 300's hidden because well, that's a perfect hit lol
This would be useful even with 300's. For example,
1) If you are in the middle of a stream and you see the offset is increasing/decreasing, you can know you aren't following the bpm properly and you can adjust before you get a 100.
2) If you are playing low OD, you can know how "perfect" you are hitting the circles, thus you would improve you accuracy faster without needing to increase the OD.
benguin
bump for support. I think the idea of adding a slight green/red hue, with a more intensive hue the more inaccurate you are would be really neat. Perhaps add a new skinning element like accuracy-overlay or something to accommodate for such a feature where the hue would only be applied to the accuracy overlay?
Wishy
This would affect the gameplay so no. Being able to notice if you are going too fast or too slow is skill itself.
LoGo

Wishy wrote:

This would affect the gameplay so no. Being able to notice if you are going too fast or too slow is skill itself.
This
Of course it would help beginners but... i don't think this is right thing to implement.
-libili
No Support, this is a quiet unnessessary thing. If everyone else can improve without that feature, then why you not too?
Primula_old
Hit numbers already effect the gameplay in such a way too though and can be used as a scale of accuracy to determine whether you're hitting too slow or too fast. OP's idea just combines both ways fast/slow.

I think it would be better if it were an effect on hit.
Like, if you're hitting notes too early, a slight glow appears towards the bottom of the note you just hit but if you hit too late it appears towards the top and if you're hitting them on time the glow dissipates.
It could use multiple frames to glow around the whole border of the circle (so it would animate as you progress through a stream) in order to show varying of delay on hits.

Example of glow at the most earliest time you hit a note:
http://puu.sh/2NHaA.png (#4)
(It'd obviously be an additional skin element as my example is a bit blinding)
Could even just make it a simple additional border which uses a mask but I think a glow looks prettier. >-<
Wishy
That would be a help, that would somehow change the gameplay, no support, as simple as that, being able to tell if you are late or early is skill.
Iluya
I agree, that it would chance the gameplay, but that doesnt mean it shouldnt exist.

I would think of it more like a mod, as it is already been said, that it would make sense to make it toggleble.
Lets call it training mode, where you get more information and make it (with the mod) unrankable / or give it a 0.9 multiplier
maybe it is even a good addition to a possibly revamped easy mode..

i can imagine of other features for that mode.. like pressing a key to replay from 5 seconds b4 last miss (to replay a certain difficult pattern)
Compa
yes pls.
Soner Wolf
toggles make peppy mad >:O
benguin
I think the whole "well you can listen to the hitsounds and compare that to the music" argument holds some truth but it falls a bit short. First of all, not to be rude, but osu falls miles short when it comes to syncing compared to other rhythm games; I doubt most people take into account drifting bpm's and most maps tend to over-quantize notes to the nearest 16th "snap." Not to mention that like 95% of maps labeled [hard] or higher are, by definition, over mapped since they contain hitsounds that don't necesarily go to anything in the music.

Also, adding such a feature wouldn't change what's required to play the map itself. Physically speaking, it doesn't make the map any easier to play. Also, everyone would be entitled to use such a feature so it wouldn't be unfair.

There is some validity to the position against this feature though. So if this can't get implemented for "during gameplay" use, I think this would be useful for viewing replays so you could go back and see what you were doing wrong.
Oinari-sama
I think this feature is a nice idea, however it should be restricted to Replay and Spectator Mode only.
Cobra

Oinari-sama wrote:

I think this feature is a nice idea, however it should be restricted to Replay and Spectator Mode only.
bingo
vape

Cobra wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

bingo
winber1

Oinari-sama wrote:

- O n i -
yes i like this idea
but replay and spectator only ^
LunarSakuya
This would be nice as an editor thing so ppl can get a general idea (for timing most likely) way faster than looking to the left and thinking about what the numbers actually mean during testplay
Kert

Oinari-sama wrote:

Otherwise it may turn into something that switches musical ear requirement with reading those numbers
Winshley
This can be considered as added, right? This is now available as "Score Meter: Hit Error" in test build.
Oinari-sama

Winshley wrote:

This can be considered as added, right? This is now available as "Score Meter: Hit Error" in test build.
eh what really?! Damn you're tempting me to download the test build...
XPJ38
I would wait for this feature to be published in the public release before marking this as added, but yeah, it is.

Ayesha Altugle
It reminds me that one like used in tap tap games

so please consider it
Maiz94
I wonder how am I gonna see that meter while focusing on the circles/sliders to be hit/stream/jumps.
Winshley

ishimaru94 wrote:

I wonder how am I gonna see that meter while focusing on the circles/sliders to be hit/stream/jumps.
To me, the arrow is still obvious enough even if it's far from the circles because it always move for each time you hit. :P
Oinari-sama
Looks nice hoho... this will be handy for confirming custom offsets on each map.
Luvdic

ishimaru94 wrote:

Well, at least for me, it will be the same way that I have learned to quick glance at my accuracy, combo, and the progress pie