forum

Make option to allow music to fade in/out [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
CNOOxen
Whenever I perform an action on a beatmap, the sudden silence to sharp noise kills my ears. This is most noticeable with closed headphones. So far, I've been turning the volume extremely low so that the effect is minimal (not to mention using a custom skin for the sole purpose of avoiding those horrendous default menu sounds).

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who will be deaf within 2 months at this rate. So I'm here to request an option to let the music fade in/out instead of stopping/starting so abruptly.

nerf abrupt sound transitions ppy pls.
jemhuntr
imo it shouldn't be an option. it should be on forever.
Edit: misunderstood the OP, I want it to be an option
Topic Starter
CNOOxen

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

So why didn't you vote?
jemhuntr

CNOOxen wrote:

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

So why didn't you vote?
?
deadbeat
i think he means why you didn't give the request any s.p :p
peppy
What do you mean by "perform an action"? There is already a fade out/in at song select.
jemhuntr
Oh. Fyi I only have 1 star, and I haven't used any in my life.

@peppy, the transition from song select to beatmap loading screen when you're about to play.
Edit: and the crossfading of songs in song select
peppy
Both cases already have fading. Can the OP please me more specific as to what they are expecting?
Topic Starter
CNOOxen
I don't really keep track of where, it's just annoying when it happens.

A few cases I can think of, though:

- pausing and then resuming a song (much more common for someone to do now that there are the visual settings)
- when one has a song selected, and then clicks to play, it suddenly goes from music to silence for a brief instant before the song begins
theowest
just lower the volume, it can't be that bad.
peppy
Both of these cases should not fade, in my opinion.
Makar
This would actually be annoying to me, lol.
Topic Starter
CNOOxen

peppy wrote:

Both of these cases should not fade, in my opinion.
No problem, I'll just go get my eardrums replaced in a few years.

k thx.
peppy
I don't understand. Do you have a special condition? This behaviour is standard to basically any device that pauses.
Topic Starter
CNOOxen

peppy wrote:

I don't understand. Do you have a special condition? This behaviour is standard to basically any device that pauses.
no u!

Anyway, many music players (both software and hardware) have fade-in/out at all times option nowadays, obviously some people prefer it that way, me being one of them.

I'm really just asking for an option in the audio tab to make everything fade in or something of the sort. It would be nice, and not too difficult to program in for an expert programmer of your caliber. Just sayin'
Topic Starter
CNOOxen
please respond
ziin

CNOOxen wrote:

Whenever I perform an action on a beatmap
what action are you performing? when I click on a beatmap it fades in/out in the song select screen. It works great.

CNOOxen wrote:

the sudden silence to sharp noise kills my ears.
This sounds like a sound driver issue. There should be no sharp noise.

CNOOxen wrote:

So far, I've been turning the volume extremely low so that the effect is minimal (not to mention using a custom skin for the sole purpose of avoiding those horrendous default menu sounds).
I rather like the default menu sounds. I also play with speakers, so I don't understand your issue here.

CNOOxen wrote:

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who will be deaf within 2 months at this rate.
Sounds of less than 75 decibels, even after long exposure, are unlikely to cause hearing loss. ppy has no control of how loud your speakers are. Turn the volume down or stop making osu start and stop so much. Better yet, stop putting speakers right up next to your ears where they can easily damage your hearing.

https://getsatisfaction.com/apple/topic ... use_resume

Is this what you want? If so, this is not as common a preference as you think. I would find it highly annoying. I also wouldn't want to miss part of the song because of the fade. Osu! is not a media player and you shouldn't treat it like one.
TheVileOne
I think ziin said enough about this for this idea to be denied. peppy already said the situations you want to fade in/out make more sense to not do as such, and an option would be pointless and would be harder to code than one may think.