forum

Mouse users: Palm or Claw? (and why?)

posted
Total Posts
show more
TakuMii
Fingertip-clawgrip (wrist planted on mousepad, fingers move mouse). Because I used to play at high DPI.
It's a bit more difficult to keep a grip on the mouse now though (at 800dpi), since I tend to rotate the mouse slightly when playing, and the mouse slowly moves away from my grip (not a problem with the mouse itself, I tested and it has absolutely no acceleration or drift).
Kanye West
I have kind of a weird grip. I do rest my palm on my mouse but I have to arch my fingers fairly high because my mouse is too small for my hands. So I guess half-palm grip?
XPJ38
As far as I am concerned, fingertip grip (800 DPI), i.e. I move the mouse with my fingers and my palm doesn't have contact with the base. Dunno why I hold it this way, it's always been like that and I simply cannot change.
Not sure if this is the best way to hold a mouse though, it is sometimes very tiring for the fingers.

Jordan
Hybrid palm/claw
TakuMii

Kanye West wrote:

I have kind of a weird grip. I do rest my palm on my mouse but I have to arch my fingers fairly high because my mouse is too small for my hands. So I guess half-palm grip?
That's a normal clawgrip.
Kanye West

YayMii wrote:

Kanye West wrote:

That's a normal clawgrip.
Not really, I only arch my index and middle finger
Shiro
1200 dpi and palm grip. Out of sheer habit.
Zerostarry
Logitech G5.. palm grip for me. Only using the fingertips seems very unwieldy for a big mouse. :)
RaneFire
I arch my index finger, and my middle finger stays flat (actually goes over the front, I press with the middle joint of my middle finger)... palm-claw \:D/
(base of hand against mouse - DPI 400)

Why?: My "jump" button in quake 3 defrag is "mouse2" which I press ALOT when I play it and also practice precise timing in that game - so there is no way for me to avoid palm with my middle finger, but claw definitely allows for faster clicking for me so I arch my index which gets the most use... and streaming works pretty well too amazingly... with each finger laid so differently. Preference due to past experiences.
TakuMii

Kanye West wrote:

Not really, I only arch my index and middle finger
Yeah, that's still a claw grip. A clawgrip you rest your palm on the mouse and arch your fingers.
A fingertip grip (a type of clawgrip) is the one where you don't have your palm on your mouse.
[Luanny]

buny wrote:

claw because my mouse is small
^
and also because it gives me more precision
D33d
Hybrid grip. It isn't claw in the sense of applying pressure to my wrist, but I still curl my fingers. Not in the same way as a full-on claw grip, which is why it's a hybrid. The G9x calls for a different type of grip to other mice, which is probably why I like it so much.
Oinari-sama
Palm grip, cause my mouse is big.

I keep my index and middle finger curled as if I'm playing piano. I find this posture easier on my finger and gives less strain while playing more intense songs.
Xivaxi
Claw grip, because clicking with your fingers flat feels so unwieldy. I don't understand how people do it.
SergioSource
I am a giant, so claw
darkmiz
paw grip
Zare

kriers wrote:

Full palm grip.

A typical low dpi grip (450)
I didn't know that's typical, but well, same here.
Mukku
Palm because mouse is too big
TheVileOne
Palm...

Clawing seems like it would be awkward.
Yuki-kun
Claw grip with 1600 DPI mouse...LoL
Icyteru
Fingertip grip
winber1
tablet grip
Naikaze
Palm, but sometimes finger-tip but only with keyboard. With palm I can mouse only
Crayder
Palm, 3500 DPI DeathAdder here.
Goodbye Shin
Claw, cause i'm used to it, and it's more comfortable for spinning.
Sup A Noob
Fingertip-claw
Asx-H
Claw, mouse is small and I just like it better I guess.
AWESOME-SAMA
Didn't really pay attention to it before, but I claw mine.
Rokk
A sort-of hybrid between palm and claw because my fingers are pretty damn long. I tend to claw for sequential jumps, though.
[Kanzaki Ranko]
Palm. My mouse is quite huge though.
Sohma99
Claw (on a deathadder if you're wondering the mouse).
Phantasyy
Use claw grip with an mx518 as I just feel more accurate and comfortable
djjsixpack
Half claw/palm grip on a deathadder. Used to be full claw but my mouse is huge compared to my old one so I adapted that way more or less. When I play mouse only I cannot do well unless I go palm grip though.
Xylem Beer
Used to clawgrip but turned to fingertip grip over time.
ProTokra

Jordan wrote:

Hybrid palm/claw
There is no Hybird in Terms of Mouse Playstyle.
You can only Move your Mouse with your Fingers/Wrist [Claw / Fingertip Grip]
OR
You can move your Mouse with your Shoulder/Arm [Palm Grip]

What u mean is the Fingertip Grip, its just Describes the Contact Points with you Mouse not your Mouse Movement Style.

BTW I am also using the Fingertip Grip^^
Triskelion91
I claw grip, but palm grip on spinners.
pmon
I use palm grip but I use my wrist and fingers to move the mouse. Feels natural.
Winshley

ProTokra wrote:

OR
If that's the case, I'm actually a hybrid then, because I vibrate my arm to do spinners. ._.

I still hold my mouse with fingertips though.
ProTokra

Winshley wrote:

ProTokra wrote:

OR
If that's the case, I'm actually a hybrid then, because I vibrate my arm to do spinners. ._.

I still hold my mouse with fingertips though.
In that case youre absolutely Right, u change your Playstile for Spinning.

But what I want the people to understand is that u can only have one Playstile at the same time!
Unfortinuetly the words [Claw/Palm/Finger Grip] lets people tend to think, the way your fingers contact with your mouse, determine your Playstyle.
Hope I could make things clearer^^
Winshley
When people said hybrid, I believe they mean that they have been using both type of grip during whole gameplay or under different occasions. I don't think they're gonna use both grip styles at the same time, right? :P
show more