forum

[duplicate] Progressive Mode - Survival

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
Oinari-sama
Keywords: Progressive, Survival, Mode, Endurance, Harder, Difficulty, Overtime

bahamut_2000 wrote:

peppy wrote:

I like the idea of a mode that keeps getting harder as you go on in the map to the point you can't possibly pass. Scoring based on % you progress through the level :P.
That gives me an idea.

What if you choose a loopable map, such as the Nyan Cat song, and then raise the difficulty at the end of each loop? Is it possible to code it so that the hit circle and AR increases automatically (each loop), also the location of hit circles are "flipped" after each loop (like what HR did)? That should create some dynamics.

The map will eventually become impossible to play, but the idea is to see how far can people go. Can call this mode "Survival"
This conversation originally started in the Impossible Mod thread. People were too busy posting "no" and memes in that thread so I got no feedback from the community on whether the above idea will work or not. Now that the said thread is deemed invalid and I was encouraged to start a new thread about this "progressive mod" idea so here it is.

Just adding to my original post, this "Survival" could either be a new game mode or a mod for every existing map. The difficulty here lies within how "loopy" a song is. If this were to be a mod for every (new) song, a new Tag can be introduced into the map editor to indicate the Start and End of the "loop," which can be either the main lyrics (eg Caramelldansen) or nearly the entire song itself if the nature of the song allows (eg the Nyan Cat song). Basically anything you can enclose with a D.C. on the music sheet should work (provided that the loop isn't too long in length unless you want a torture map on purpose).

Anyway this will be a "nice to have" rather than necessity so I'll just leave it here to give Peppy some ideas. People of the community please feel free to discuss and comment.
Archangel Tirael
It is difficult to find a map on which to play with such a mod would interensno. Not entirely supported, even though the whole idea very well. ;)
theowest
Slowly increase the speed/difficulty. This would be awesome with the endurance mode too.
Saten
I'm not really fond of the idea

The looping would only work on very few maps
And I'd rather play the map the way it's supposed to be played.

And while beatmaps doesn't have a constant difficulty/speed (I mean that there are parts in songs that are not as intensive as other parts). It would only ruin several maps instead.
Topic Starter
Oinari-sama
Oh wow good to see people are still commenting on this. Guess it time to add a bit more ideas.

I think the Survival mode is more suitable as a separate game mode. It's more of a challenge/entertainment rather than a main mode of play, ie it is not there to take over existing DT/HR/HD/FL mods. This is for scenarios like this:

Cookeizi: "Hey WhiteWolf! We'll finally settle our score today!"
WhiteWolf: "Come at me bro!"

*Picks an insane map* => Both SS
*Insane + HR + DT + HD* => Both FC but the score isn't far

Cookeizi: Bah it'll have to be the Survival Mode then!
*300+ Spectators joined the room*

Comedy aside, if it is treated as a mod to standard osu game the score should be ranked separately, ie Survival scores should not appear in the standard osu online ranking. Survival ranks can be tracked as a separate global leader board, something like this:

<Rank#> <Player Name> <Survival Score> <Map Played> <Time Survived> <Level (Loop) Survived> <Highest BPM> <Circle Size> <AR>

Each map played will generate an entry into the Survival leader board.

Regarding the song limitations, maybe the Loop Marker I mentioned in previous posts can be used to turn a normal song into playable Survival maps.

Assuming we have a generic song that goes like this:

Intro
Lyrics#1
Main Chorus
Interlude
Lyrics#2
Slightly Different Main Chorus (or Main Chorus Repeated)
Ourtro

The map maker can put the loop marker at the beginning and the end of the Main Chorus, forming the loop for Survival mode. The tempo usually varies only between components of the song (eg Intro vs Lyrics, Interlude vs Chorus) but remains constant during the main chorus. The loop can therefore be played over and over for the purpose of Survival mode.

Here's what I think should happen when a user selects the Survival mod on a song (using the above example):

Intro [Score Multiplier x1.00]
Lyrics#1 [Score Multiplier x1.00]
Main Chorus (no mod) [Score Multiplier x1.00]
Main Chorus (HR1) [Score Multiplier x1.05]
Main Chorus (HR1+10% Speed Up)* [Score Multiplier x1.10]
Main Chorus (HR1+10% Speed Up+HD) [Score Multiplier x1.15]
Main Chorus (HR2+10% Speed Up) [Score Multiplier x1.20]
Main Chorus (HR2+20% Speed Up)* [Score Multiplier x1.25]
Main Chorus (HR2+20% Speed Up+HD) [Score Multiplier x1.30]
Main Chorus (HR2+20% Speed Up) [Score Multiplier x1.35]
Main Chorus (HR2+30% Speed Up)* [Score Multiplier x1.40]
Main Chorus (HR2+30% Speed Up+HD) [Score Multiplier x1.45]

*Peppy can you confirm if this kind of incremental speed up is possible?

Well you get the idea. The beat position is "flipped" at the end of each loop. The map eventually becomes unplayable, etc etc and the score will be tallied.

The score from Survival mode should be calculated separately and will not interfere with standard osu ranking. The Score Multipliers above are only arbitary for this reason.

I won't bother with troubleshooting a problem that doesn't exist yet. I'll leave the headache till this idea is considered (if it ever will lol). Please feel free to comment as usual.
theowest
I've always liked beatmaps with multiple bpms, increased the speed towards the end. It would be pretty awesome if we have a sound effect and/or visual effect for every speed up in the song. Every 10 seconds or increase 1 bpm every 4 white ticks like this beatmap: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/18315
maybe even specify how you want it to increase
Kuro

theowest wrote:

I've always liked beatmaps with multiple bpms, increased the speed towards the end. It would be pretty awesome if we have a sound effect and/or visual effect for every speed up in the song.
Poppi appears out of the corner in gym clothes w/ arm and head band and says, "Speedin' it up! You're doin' well, keep it up!"
Topic Starter
Oinari-sama
lol 10 months bump

deadbeat edit: continue here :( t/166527