forum

Arm and wrist starting to hurt

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kaoskadosk
So I've been experimenting around with settings recently, going a bit back and forth between higher and lower DPI, and I have come to the conclusion that I play best at around 800 DPI. The problem is that after I while now I've started to grow a more and more severe pain in my right arm and wrist. I've tried to not "tense up", but that's not possible. I've also tried using my wrist less, but my general motoric skills aren't that good, so I perform way worse. That's why I've been using claw/fingergrip my entire life. I've tried increasing my DPI to reduce strain but my accuracy suffers from this.

Anyone who's had similar experiences with this? Should I just lay off Osu! for a while and rest my arm? Any tips would be great, because I really don't wanna quit Osu! because of my arm.
she_old
How are you holding your mouse? Not on the edge of the table I hope.
Aqo
Wrist pains due to movement happen when you push yourself to your limits. Don't worry, this is trainable.
If it hurts, it's most likely during a time when you tense up the right arm. Loosen it up and this should be enough to fix it.
If it still hurts, take a short break.
Over time your wrist will get stronger and you'll have less of those pains. glhf
she_old
I don't suggest to keep on playing that hard with wrist pains, especially if you feel it in the joints.

I used to have these severe wrist pains from playing stepmania incorrectly in my right wrist and it totally ruined my ability to do certain lifting exercises.
Topic Starter
Kaoskadosk

loseri wrote:

How are you holding your mouse? Not on the edge of the table I hope.
The edge is about 5 cm or so from my elbow.

Aqo wrote:

Wrist pains due to movement happen when you push yourself to your limits. Don't worry, this is trainable.
If it hurts, it's most likely during a time when you tense up the right arm. Loosen it up and this should be enough to fix it.
If it still hurts, take a short break.
Over time your wrist will get stronger and you'll have less of those pains. glhf
I have indeed been pushing myself pretty hard, attempting a lot of fast and jumpy maps. Guess I'll just take it a bit easy for a few days then and give it a bit of rest, try to S or SS some Hard maps instead. :)
Mints
I just know that continuous streaming would tire your hand, dunno bout pain though :/
she_old

Kaoskadosk wrote:

Guess I'll just take it a bit easy for a few days then and give it a bit of rest, try to S or SS some Hard maps instead. :)
Wise choice.

The way that you're holding your mouse looks fine to me.
Leeg

loseri wrote:

Not on the edge of the table I hope.

I've been playing like that for about 4 years.... (mouse only) which is the problem? :/
Soly
That's natural if you want to get good with a mouse, it does go away though just like streaming pain. I have like..burn marks on my skin from grinding my wrist against my mouse mat all day. Really though.. you should be using your wrist for everything, it really is all in the wrist. If jumps are making you move your arm too much then your dpi is too low, only massive jumps reaching the corner of the screen and spinners should be pressuring your arm. High dpi is more reliable with a good sensor and stable grip in which you flick to each note rather than use your arm to drag.
she_old

Leeg wrote:

loseri wrote:

Not on the edge of the table I hope.

I've been playing like that for about 4 years.... (mouse only) which is the problem? :/
I've experienced great pain from playing stepmania like that for only 2-3 weeks.
Oinari-sama
You should take signs of pains more seriously. If you continue to play while feeling genuine "pain" you may subject yourself to RSI and symptoms like Trigger Fingers. Those terms originally were meant for something/someone very different, but it's becoming increasing common amongst young gamers nowadays.

If you start to feel muscle/joint pain or cramping up, you should stop and rest immediately. Get some ice to relief the pain if necessary, but if you really needed ice then you should probably see a doctor.

Do some light stretches between games usually helps relief tension. For those who watches GSL you probably know how the Korean pro gamers rotates their wrists before/between/after games to care for themselves. I find the exercise quite useful.
Almost

bahamut_2000 wrote:

You should take signs of pains more seriously. If you continue to play while feeling genuine "pain" you may subject yourself to RSI and symptoms like Trigger Fingers. Those terms originally were meant for something/someone very different, but it's becoming increasing common amongst young gamers nowadays.

If you start to feel muscle/joint pain or cramping up, you should stop and rest immediately. Get some ice to relief the pain if necessary, but if you really needed ice then you should probably see a doctor.

Do some light stretches between games usually helps relief tension. For those who watches GSL you probably know how the Korean pro gamers rotates their wrists before/between/after games to care for themselves. I find the exercise quite useful.
Stretching your hand and wrist during breaks and before and after songs really helps but it still doesn't really prevent pain. Also, what do you do if you only play well when you have a lot of pain in your wrist?
buny
Take a break if you feel pain.
Vish024
Take break, just a game etc etc.

Not worth giving an arm and leg for it.
Lapis-
Currently my left hand is in a lot of pain cause I did some pretty hardcore maps on osu!m and standard.. I play tablet and keyboard. X_X Its been going on since last night. Overnight sleep didnt help -_-
(but really, just take a break if you're in pain)
Maneuver
I have been through, twice, which feels like RSI. I have constant pain and numbness for almost a month for my right hand to the point holding a glass of water was becoming difficult. Identify your pain, is it muscle pain like someone punched you or different kind of pain. If you have the pain like mine, you can't stretch your finger and wrists or it will hurt more. The pain will feels like it is draining your mental and physical energy.

Well, believe or not, after i read this book: The Divided Mind - John Sarno (google it) my pain was gone. Luckily my pain is caused by my brain and not the real injury.
JayO_old
Learn breakdance and practice freezes. That'll develop your wrist muscles and playing osu! for long periods of time will be a breeze. (plus it's fun)
OsuMe65
maybe paraparamax or The Unforgiving might totally kill your arm/wrist...
;w;
kriers
Take a rest from playing so much. You will ultimately become bad at this game if you play while injured. Resting also helps you improve at a mental level and allows muscle memory to settle down and work ingame.
Tesu
i got cramps on my hands
Gilochan
sometimes got parkinson T^T
Maneuver

Gilochan wrote:

sometimes got parkinson T^T
._.
ixsq
Try emphasizing the clicking with your fingers and not your entire hand. It also helps to move your entire arm when using a mouse/tablet to avoid sprain and fatigue on your wrist.
NixXSkate

your wrist is in pain, huh?
aRtii-
^ MOTHER OF GOD
Oinari-sama
I once saw a picture of a group of korean sc2 pros raising their hand, and they all got one of those (already hardened)...scary...

P.S. I couldn't find that photo on google for some reason. I remember TossGirl was in it :oops:

EDIT: Found it
Cropzy
too much fapping
DakeDekaane
Yay, all have that mark /o/
Mine is not that intense, though.

Don't push yourself or you might end like me, I used to spin around 400 spm, now I can barely reach 300 due to my wrist gets a lot tense even if I don't want, luckily is going up again, just rest a lot or stop playing osu! for that day if you can't endure the pain, idk how intense is it. If it hurts a lot and don't disappear in a long time, consider a visit to the doctor.
Ephemeral
i pulled a tendon from my forearm on a spinner back when i played, it never actually went back into its proper spot either. take it easy and take a break for a bit - osu! has a tendency to cause you to compress your medial and ulnar nerves quite persistently in your wrists which can lead to carpal or cubital tunnel syndrome depending on how you grip the mouse.

basically, play until it starts hurting, stop for 30 minutes, play again. alternatively, buy a tablet or touchscreen.
Melt3dCheeze
Hmm, 5 days of non stop playing averaging 5 hours a day since I got my tablet...
Sorry for the picture's unintentional reference but it's the most common pain spots for me.
http://puu.sh/1Pfnp
The middle finger's top joint(where specified) is swollen for me :cry:
kriers

Melt3dCheeze wrote:

Hmm, 5 days of non stop playing averaging 5 hours a day since I got my tablet...
Sorry for the picture's unintentional reference but it's the most common pain spots for me.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mints

kriers wrote:

Melt3dCheeze wrote:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Melt3dCheeze

[ Yukari ] wrote:

kriers wrote:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
(╯°Д°)╯︵ /(.□ . \)
GoldenWolf

Melt3dCheeze wrote: