forum

[resolved] [confirmed] Incorrect mode/rank display with jumping ranks

posted
Total Posts
show more
peppy
This is just people switching play modes, though. I will look at making it update more frequently when friends are involved.
Raging Bull

peppy wrote:

This is just people switching play modes, though. I will look at making it update more frequently when friends are involved.
No. I didn't play any modes besides standard for these past few days and my rank jumps around too. I think it also deals with pp. You can get some pp and your rank will go up but later you can see your rank revert back to what you had and then jump back to your current rank after opening your friends list.
lolcubes
When I was spectating a person, for every map that I didn't have and I had to download it said -446 on my profile, so I guess it has something to do with people spectating and getting their rank set to 0 (which we don't see). I am only assuming things currently though.
TheVileOne

peppy wrote:

IMO the + xxxx ranks effect shouldn't appear when the user changes gamemodes. You're not gaining/losing ranks, just switching to a different rank. It's misleading and seeing 5 figure plus numbers is distracting. Also when people switch gamemodes frequently, it shows your own stats constantly changing. This shows up even in the editor. Go from a different gamemode, and then into the editor and you'll see your stats change even without access to the userpanel.

Edit: It's not even that. People who are AFK are losing and gaining ranks too. I'm gaining ranks just by hanging out in the editor. Something else is going wrong here.
Topic Starter
higurush

Now wtf. I am in osu! standard mode, played an osu! standard mode map just now, and I have the osu! standard mode performance point and acc, score and lvl and it shows my taiko rank even though I haven't switched mode the whole day!!
Saten
Sometimes my rank goes blank (probably switching to o!m)

Also
The location sorting isn't even showing the correct order.
The name sorting seems to be correct though.

TBTE

Saten wrote:

Sometimes my rank goes blank (probably switching to o!m)

Also
The location sorting isn't even showing the correct order.
The name sorting seems to be correct though.

From what i think that is because it probably doesn't ping as often, as it only needs to ping once to get the screen name and then just be done with it.... unless someone plays a map...
peppy
There is already a condition for when people change playmodes, which should stop this from happening. A video showing the cases that are most important would be handy, as this thread is a mess of issues I am not sure are related or reproducible.
Topic Starter
higurush

peppy wrote:

There is already a condition for when people change playmodes, which should stop this from happening. A video showing the cases that are most important would be handy, as this thread is a mess of issues I am not sure are related or reproducible.
Well, we could sum up the case into 4 issues:
  1. Jumping ranks on friendlist (mod change or not).
    http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/111726&p=2011516
  2. Filters can go crazy, they mess up the ordering (Location and so).
    http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/111726&p=2031548
  3. After a score submit which increased the rank, the rank keeps jumping everytime we play a new map. For example, you raised 10 ranks by a map, but you keep raising that 10 rank again and again after playing a new map without changing mods.
    http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/111726&p=2011742
  4. There are some cases where the osu! client switches ranks in certain mods, for example, it shows the osu!standard mod stats (acc, score, lvl), but shows the taiko rank.
    http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/111726&p=2019337
TheVileOne
I haven't seen jumping ranks in awhile. Usually they all start at no ranks and then all load at once otherwise it doesn't update. Has this been fixed?
MillhioreF
I don't think so. I still see it happen sometimes, usually after a while of not opening the F( menu (in fact, my own rank jumps too and leaves behind a lingering -6000 or so in the place where it was)
lolcubes
I think I am onto something here.

Basically every time the update happens (every once in a while when your list is constantly opened), what happens is that each update osu displays the highest rank you currently have across all game modes for a very little time.
For example, if your rank is 5000 on standard and 500 on taiko but you are in standard mode, once the update happens it will display rank 500 for about 2 seconds even on standard mode and then it will go back to 5000, so you will always see that -XXXX.

Could be that there are some other things which trigger this as well though.
Topic Starter
higurush

lolcubes wrote:

For example, if your rank is 5000 on standard and 500 on taiko but you are in standard mode, once the update happens it will display rank 500 for about 2 seconds even on standard mode and then it will go back to 5000, so you will always see that -XXXX.
I usually experience this the other way. I'm rank 600 in standard mode, then it suddenly changes to taiko rank (26000+) and then changing back. But as soon as I get a pp awarded rank (standard mode) and I get a better rank then I had, the magic happens. For example.. let's say I played a map in solo mod, get some ranks and moved forward on the rank list. After that in multiplayer (before playing any map in multi), it shows my old rank. After we played a map, I got my rank back and I can clearly see my rank changing back after a certain time to my old rank, and it happens again and again. The solo mod bug still happens anyway.. (play map > get rank > play new map > get the same amount of rank, pp etc. .. it's like leaping through time and doing everything again.)
HanzeR
Why was this moved to low priority? This is probably one of, if not the single most annoying and widespread bug in the game atm :?
MillhioreF
It had no replies by staff members for over a month and a half, so it's low priority by inaction. If you want to move it along faster, make a video or investigate existing cases further.
Topic Starter
higurush
I guess peppy made a temporary fix for one of this case. There's no numbers popping up, while playing a beatmap, so it's not that annoying while playing. Though the jumping ranks are still there and it sometimes show us fake numbers as always..
TheVileOne
I was observing how Sort by Location worked and it exhibits very peculiar behavior. It will end up sorting them correctly, but unloaded part of the list will fallback to sorting by Name instead of Location. It takes some time before Bancho gets around to correcting the issue and sometimes it wont correct itself unless you scroll. The phenomenon is noticeable during regular use of Location Sort.
MillhioreF
This got fixed at some point!
Flanster

MillhioreF wrote:

Still happens like before, nothing is fixed. Unresolving.
Playing mania, rank changes to one from standard mode approx 5-10 seconds after play always. Randomly restores back and changes back to standard when going out of AFK etc random stuff.

Right now, my standard stats with mania rank. Completely wrong.
- Marco -

LoliFlan wrote:

MillhioreF wrote:

Still happens like before, nothing is fixed. Unresolving.
Playing mania, rank changes to one from standard mode approx 5-10 seconds after play always. Randomly restores back and changes back to standard when going out of AFK etc random stuff.

Right now, my standard stats with mania rank. Completely wrong.
Yup I can Confirm
Topic Starter
higurush
Yes, confirming.
Wishy
~(x_x)~
peppy
Not a single video yet? If it's such a predominant and annoying issue, you'd think someone would go to the effort of showing reproduction. It would make it 10x easier to fix.
MillhioreF
It was MUCH worse back when the thread was created. Now, the only "jumping ranks" I see are caused by scrolling down the friends list - users that haven't had their userpanel loaded before that point will suddenly gain their correct stats and jump to the correct point in the list.
peppy
This particular case can't be avoided.
- Marco -
here you go peppy, i was just idling for something like 5 minutes
Flanster
I don't need to reproduce anything, I'm sitting here with mania stats and standard rank on my side for 90% of the time I look.
And when I go/come back from afk then only it would be mania stats + mania rank. Changes back to standard eventually no matter what I do.
Topic Starter
higurush

Here's a picture of what's happened. I started osu! in a default osu!standard mode. Then I played some osu!mania maps (got the osu!mania rank as well), then when I was done with the osu!mania playing, my osu!standard rank popped up under the osu!mania mode while i had the osu!mania stats. After that, I changed into CTB, and whoala~ CTB mode, osu!mania rank icon+stats with osu!standard mode rank!
You can combine the orders how I have done this (you can switch ctb, mania, and standard words in my sentences)..
TakuMii
Confirming (not that it needs confirming at this point). When I'm idling, my rank loves to jump between the different modes I've played that session (sometimes showing the proper icon and stats, sometimes not). When I only play one mode, it jumps between the rank I had when starting that session and the new rank I achieved from earning PP that session.
It also often jumps around when transitioning between menus.
MillhioreF
Okay, I see what's going on. The title contains two bugs, and only one is fixed - changed the title.
TheVileOne
I would love it if this was fixed. It's been happening for a long time and it isn't able to be replicated AFAIK. It often happens in multiplayer. My rank will randomly change back to standard from CTB after a game ends.
peppy
I still have no video of this :(.
Yuzeyun
One may come later this day (In about 8 or 9 hours)
Topic Starter
higurush

peppy wrote:

I still have no video of this :(.
Peppy, you did something about this in this update! My own user panel now shows the correct value any time, BUT. The friendlist is still going wtf sometimes :D

img : http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1083098

Note: most of the time its okay and changes as it should. Maybe it's my own latency that causes problems like this.
It seems to be a server-side solve tho, so it's okay I think.
edgeamacated

Steps I took before the recording: Opened Osu!, searched my username before playing a song in the online players list.
Gameplay footage is edited out since it is not relevant to show.
Isopach
Not sure if I should be creating a new thread, so I'll just post here. My rank has been wrong on the osu client for ages; idk if it's only client-sided or not. It keeps showing my osu! rank under osu!mania filter, even if everyone else on the list is correctly displayed
YERTI
yeaaaaa
YERTI
heres another video of bug :D

MillhioreF
This might get fixed faster if you give it a better title.
YERTI
this bug isnt happening to me at the moment
show more