forum

osu! stays in memory after exiting to Windows [confirmed] [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Anzo
Explain the issue you are having:
After I quit osu! (ALT-F4), I can still hear the music playing, and for some reason osu! stays in memory until you kill its process.
Happened twice today, but I don't know what is the cause.

Include any relevant video or screenshots, and hardware information for hard crashes or lag issues:
An existing osu! in memory (showing at ~299K) but not existing in taskbar menu screenshot should be an enough evidence I think..

AAANNND for my PC *low-end* specs
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2094 Mhz
Total Physical Memory: 1,024.00 MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon Xpress 1250
Sound: Realtek HD Audio
Saten
How long did you wait before you killed the process?
TheVileOne
That should be normal. When the threads gets overloaded, they can't process the information fast enough and so when you close, the closing process overrides the buffer, because it's higher priority in the thread stack, but it still may take a few seconds before osu's buffer empties. Are you sure it stays on indefinitely? The processor can only process what's in the buffer. The game can't load more information into the buffer after it has been closed.

The next time, see if osu force kills itself. It should.
Topic Starter
Anzo
Yes, I waited for about 20 to 30 minutes but unfortunately, osu! didn't close itself.
I killed the process so I can free up some memory.
TheVileOne
This may have something to do with the game not fully closing when the game crashes. Normally when the game crashes with an error message, the error window stays open. The game stays open until you enter the message. This may be occuring when you alt-F4, but it's not displaying a message, and so you can't tell it to shut itself down. It should happen to most clients though if this is the case.
peppy
If you can reproduce this, you can probably provide some information that could help me debug what's going on here, but you will need to download Process Explorer, find the osu! process in the list, and screenshot the Threads tab, along with the output of what you see when you click the "Stack" button for any of the threads which show "Cycles Delta" above zero.

statementreply
I just encountered once that osu! process didn't exit, but the music had already stopped. (I didn't even know that until i launched osume.exe :o )
peppy
Thanks stat <3. Will look into this. I'm prety sure I know the cause, though.
lolcubes
From my experience with this, it happenes once in a while when hitsounds started bugging for me. By this, I mean they aren't reproduced correctly anymore (soundcard issue I can't fix, it's an old problem and not exactly osu related, damn xonar drivers) and they aren't always present. This problem has been nearly fixed by the new memory leak fix (such things occur only if osu is opened for a really extensive period of time, over a day for example), however after a really long period of time (entering/exiting edit mode about 50 times, changing skins which contain custom sample sets about 50 times over a period of 30 hours or so) after closing osu it sometimes gets stuck in memory like this. Indefinitely (or, well, I waited 5 mins, was still there).
Phenomz
coooonfirming this, ;_;
peppy
I have already fixed the cases above for the next build.
statementreply
This happened again on latest test build. I can't reproduce this, but things happeded as below:
1. I started playing a beatmap in ctb mode.
2. Before game started, i accessed visual settings and disabled video.
3. Then osu! got stuck on beatmap loading and the game won't start.
4. I restarted the game and disabled video again.
5. Everything appeared to be working normally.
6. And then I played a few other maps...
7. Finally when I tried to exit osu!test, it stayed in memory.

> osu!test.exe!#Gn.#In.#dHb() + 0x9b 字节
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(object state) + 0x66 字节
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) + 0x6f 字节
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart() + 0x44 字节

> osu.dll!osudata.Libraries.FFmpeg.VideoDecoder.Decode() + 0x338 字节
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(object state) + 0x66 字节
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) + 0x6f 字节
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart() + 0x44 字节