forum

Winter 2013 Anime Season First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
show more
FrzR
looking forward for Haiyore! Nyaruko-san Season 2 this january 15. *wiki said.
Cropzy
Needs more panzer
Cropzy
UnderminE

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Inferno Cop
I don't think there are words to describe how stupid these 2min felt. The animation is so horribly cheap but the ending was so ridiculous. I think I have to watch another ep.
Yeah animation because the producer is "Trigger" and:

Their first work lol
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Updated the initial post. Will post a few of the reasons below (quite sleepy so my writing will be of questionable quality)

Zettai Karen Children: THE UNLIMITED - Hyoubu Kyousuke:
Zettai Karen Children spinoff.. haven't seen one of these for a while (not to my memory). Oh well, as a fair warning, please at least know a bit about the universe before watching this because it helps to know who the characters are since they don't really introduce them or how psychic powers work. Beyond that, the show itself was okay. The animation were usually passable, but they cheaped out on explosions and other areas. Teh rest of the art was passable, nothing too special. The only problem I had was that I found it hard to be engaged in the show. It has been a while since I read the series, so I am still a little unfamiliar with the characters, but Hyoubu did not troll enough in the episode to make it entertaining. Oh well, I am willing to give the show another chance.

Love Live!
It was basically everything I wanted of the series, cheesy plot, trolls, a straight person to be trolled, new songs, and plenty of money being spent on dancing animation. The only thing I have to complain about is how the op and ed sounds worst than their normal singles. Oh well, Maki's piano cover of 愛してるばんざーい!was great.
Magicphoenix
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Started reading the manga just 2 days ago and then an animated episode of it yesterday lol, really neat nevertheless, lovely characters and setting + perspectives are really nice

Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru
Not sure, looks like standard-harem but the heroine proved to be quite different from what I've ever read/seen. Could turn out top or flop, let's see (dun like osananamiji-heroine tho)

Da Capo III
Mianki
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Seems cool, interested to see where this anime goes.

Senran Kagura
Yay boobs! Didn't get bored or thought this was utterly stupid. Was a lot better what I expected from a anime which was based on a game which main point was 3D boobs on 3DS.

Was watchable, will watch a few more episodes too se if this gets interesting.

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman
Pretty fun anime to watch, it's from the same creator as Lupin III and you can instantly see that from characters. Pretty much the same setting too.

Cuticle Detective Inaba
Wasn't that bad but don't feel like watching anymore of this.
Elsie_old
Da Capo 3

It was good, I felt totally calm while watching. The characters are charismatic (loved Charles) and the story is good. Looking foward this.

Minami-ke Tadaima

I felt no difference from other seasons, except that the animation has improved, and the songs of op ed and changed. Until the op is pretty cool.

Pretty funny looking foward this.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Hakkenden Touhou Hakken Ibun:
I really need to stop looking at action shoujo. Of the 2 I have seen, I have liked neither. Oh well. The anime has nice character designs....but that is about it. Action screens were boring. Very few jokes. Plot seemed fairly generic and dry with very little drama. Overall, a fairly boring watch imo.

Da Capo III
They had so many chances to use more harem humor, but they didn't use them. There are time where I think this might be fun to watch, but I am pretty sure I won't get the humor I want. Oh well, the rest of the show is typical harem stuff. Lots of budget on fanservice while creating an unintersting plot line. Oh well. I will give this show one more chance to impress me before tossing it aside.
Lance
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Economics, demons and bouncing PLOTS. What isn't to love?

Senran Kagura
More PLOTS, less economics. Not really feeling it.

Love Live!
Idols doing idol things. It's okay.

Cuticle Detective Inaba
Meh.

I'll get around to other things eventually.

Edit: I got around to it.
SPOILER
Sasami-san@Ganbarnai
Lewd. But nice. But lewd.

GJ-bu
Feels generic, but in a good way. I wouldn't put this nearly on the same level as Sasami, but it's still fairly decent.

Seitokai no Ichizon Lv.2
*I know it already aired on NicoNico, but since I'm now watching it because it's now airing on TV I would include it in this season*
Oh god why did they change VAs. Might be watchable. Dunno yet.

Boku Ha Tomodachi Ga Sukunai NEXT
Abused Meat.

Tamako Market
Kyoani finds a way.
Watched a few more series.
SPOILER
Vividred Operation
Good GOD this is bad. I mean, I knew the guy who created Strike Witches was involved, but I didn't think it would follow SW's formula so closely. I'm going to give it the three episodes and out rule, but I want to drop this now.

Kotoura-san
The first half of the episode is a bit dark, but the contrast between the first and second half was done very well. Probably the sleeper of the season.

Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo
Generic shounen. Meh.
Mianki
Sasami-san@Ganbarnai
Oh man, I have no idea what this anime is about but I'm loving it. So far my favourite anime of the season <3
UnderminE
Because SHAFT <3
Magicphoenix
Kotoura-san
wtffffffffffff watch it, i mean, fo real
There is one weird thing about it though, she can actually just shut up when she reads sb's mind D:

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
Lol'd
Hoverlegs
Inferno Cop
INFUURRRRRNO CUP!
My favourite of the season so far. I'm serious, and each episode doesn't even last longer than 3 minutes. Absolutely nothing can go wrong.
THE ED IS IN GERMAN

Boku no Imouto wa Osaka Okan
Watching it for that accent

Kotoura-san
Wow, this one really surprised me. First half of the episode was really well done, it got me feeling sad for an MC for once. Second half also did great at making the viewer ease up with it's humor, and the male lead is likeable too.

Vividred Operation
I'm... not sure what to say about this one. It had it's moments, but some parts made me go "wat" too. But, I must say the loli asses in this are absolutely marvelous.

GJ-bu
I liked it.

Oreshura
Disregard bitches, acquire academics.
Time for color wars! If it gets better I might give this a green. Orange is the greatest

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT
Delicious Meat. Pegasus was great in this episode
Magicphoenix
The ending is supposed to be german? Couldn't figure it out at all lol
(Same with the Guilty Crown OSTs = =')

+ just noticed that the adventure-seiyuu-duo of Koshimizu Ami & Fukuyama is back in Maoyuu :D (both one of my favorite VAs and together probably the best combination for main chars)

edit:
Love Live! School Idol Project
I have no idea why I enjoyed watching this. This is nowhere near my standards but I still got goosebumps (wtf?) when they started singing. But well yeah, maybe my interest will decrease throughout this series, but for now I can't decline my enjoyment for this, can I ? ...
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Senran Kagura:
Even with the ridiculous amount of fanservice and pointlessness, I found this somewhat funny at times (for reasons that I don't understand), so I think I'll give this another ep.

Senyu:
Low budget, but it does a lot of rapidfire jokes about rpgs and killing kings. It feels amazingly stupid at times, but it is enjoyable....

Vividred Operation:
Don't want to rate this before seeing an action scene, but the few action scenes so far seem worse than the typical strike witches scenes. However the characters are enjoyable to watch, so I will give this another round.

Boku Ha Tomodachi Ga Sukunai NEXT
I am glad that AIC Build kept up the amazing animation quality they had in first season. If you watched first season, expect more of the same type of jokes as they progress further along the chapters of the light novel. If you are new to the series, this is a series about trolling the pretty girl all day long...the end. (The show is very episodic, so there is no problem with starting on 2nd season)

GJ-bu:
A bunch of rapidfire jokes with a very relaxed setting. It feels a lot like Seizon at times (pointless clubs, shooting out jokes in a clubroom).

Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shurabasugiru:
I probably watch too many shonen romcoms, but the 2nd episode, despite being incredibly stupid at times, was amusing. As a result, I'll promote my rating for this show.

Kotoura-san
I definitely watch too many romcoms....Besides the excessive close ups and lackluster art style, there is very little to complain about in the show. The beginning of the show set up the plot and drama amazingly, but the second half of the show flipped the tables around to show that this show is capable of humor and romance as well. If this is executed right, this show can be quite amazing.

Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?
Wow, this thing was amazing. Badass lead and great humor. Art could be better, but this lead could really go a long way.

Yama no Susume
Even though it is a low budget short, it is cute and some what funny (either that or I have gone crazy xD)

Sasami-san@Ganbarnai
I really wanted to laugh when watching the show, but I couldn't find it funny enough to actually laugh. It was extremely trippy, but that is really all I felt. The action scenes were okay at first, but they quickly faded to boring low budget scenes.....In short, I felt quite bored, but I am willing to give this one more chance.

Zettai Karen Children THE UNLIMITED - Hyoubu Kyousuke
I have no idea why, but the 2nd episode impressed me far more than the first. Action scenes were nicer. A few more things were explained, and the atmosphere sort of drew you in.

I'll update the thread soon....
Yuugo
Tamako Market
Why isn't this in the list yet? This anime is like somekind of overdose of cute stuff... I feel like I lose manlyness when watching this but god I looovee it.

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
I have no clue what this is going to be.. seriously what did I just watch?.. I really liked the art style of the space around Sasami-san though, it felt very refreshing. I will keep watching this series for now, but I'm not even sure if it's gonna be good or not, or if it's gonna be anything..

I wish I had more time to watch the new anime, kinda came here to look for what was worth watching this season but why not share my little bit of experience.

Edit:
Inferno Cop
God I almost forgot Inferno Cop. Back when episode 1 got release I thought it was just a shot joke video, but they're making a complete series of it? My longs are going to have a rough time every time I watch an episode twice. This is simply amazing stuff.
Magicphoenix
Maou is totally Horo @Maoyuu = = just a little comment
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Line Offline: Salaryman
Another low budget short, however I didn't find the staring at nose hair joke to be funny at all. Dropped

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
I could barely laugh at episode 2...dropped.

Vividred Operation:
As expected, episode 2 brought even more Strike Witches Elements to the table. Add in more yuri than ever before + a bommerang + Vita's (Nanoha A's) hammer + larger animation budget = an action packed yuri show about magical girls taking out giant robotic things. Just please stay away if you hate strike witches.

Edit: The op should be fully updated now.
Mogsy
Going to make these explanations short. I'm a little behind but I don't honestly care. I'll be watching the first three episodes of most shows.

1. Chihayafuru S2 - Honestly, unless you're turned off by the art style, you should be watching this. You should have watched the first season. This show is glorious.
  2. Maoyu Maou Yuusha - It's Spice and Wolf with tits instead of a furry. I admittedly found this one to be rather good, especially due to the already-present chemistry between the leads (because they're the same exact fucking seiyuu who did Holo and Craft in Spice and Wolf). The ideas on display are fully-researched and entertainingly-presented, and if Spice and Wolf hooked you in then this might do the trick. I know I'm already hooked!
  3. Love Live! School Idol Project - What a surprise. It pulls off the 3D dancing integration better than Aikatsu!, and it also boasts a campy story that still manages to be entertaining. I do find the protagonist both charming and irritating, so we'll see where she ends up by the time episode 3 airs.
  4. Senyuu. - One of two shorts in this season I legitimately like. The presentation is silly, frantic, and fast-paced, but the jokes are well-written and the delivery usually has me laughing for several minutes. Good if you grew up on classic JRPGs.
  5. Yama no Susume - The other short I can legitimately get behind this season. It's simple, well-presented (it doesn't look dirt-cheap) and the characters are likable. This is shaping up to be good.
  6. Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? - I need to watch episode 2 before I can make more assumptions about this. Despite the exposition-dump, this was competently-presented, rather funny, and seems to be intriguing enough. It's only going to be 10 episodes but I do really want to see more.
  7. Kotoura-san - Again, need to watch episode 2 before I can begin to make better judgments on this one. However, the beginning was much too manipulative and over-the-top horrible for its own good and it got grating after awhile. When the male lead was introduced, it definitely got a lot more tolerable. If Kotoura-san keeps its tone lighter while still toning down the potential harshness that might come up later, then it will be a decent watch.
  8. Mangirl! - It's...okay. Interesting at points, unbearable at others. One-shot characters aside, the manga industry is interesting to learn about in small weekly snippets. Easy enough to digest.
  9. Amnesia - The guys in this are attractive, despite looking like they've been designed by Tetsuya Nomura. This is close to being a loser and episode 3 will decide if I drop it or not. The plot needs to get rolling more and the female protagonist needs to not be so whispery. Probably worth it if you like reverse harem. At least it's not motherfucking Arcana Famiglia.
  10. Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru - Wow, I really hate the romantic leads in this show! The childhood friend is your standard genki girl and has gained more human qualities in the second episode. The fake girlfriend, on the other hand, is one of the most unsympathetic bitches I've seen as a potential love interest in these types of shows (worse than the two obvious romantic interests in Haganai, even!). The first half of the first episode is also dull as dirt and put me right to sleep. EDIT: UPDATED AS OF EPISODE 3. Wow, okay, holding onto this. Masuzu is still the fucking worst, but I'm rooting for Chiwa.
  11. Sasami-san@Ganbaranai - Need to watch the second episode but jesus, this reminds me so much of pre-Bakemonogatari-Shaft. Mostly the Zetsubou-sensei franchise, in that many of the jokes barely work (and if you don't understand Japanese pop culture references, then they don't work in the slightest), the beautiful animation followed by absolutely horrendous animation (BD fixes are guaranteed on this because HOLY SHIT YOU DO NOT DO CLOSE-UPS OF WRONG ANATOMY NONONONONO), and the characters are...non-characters. They're barely-defined tropes at this point. What the show happens to be at this point is weird for the sake of being weird. The backgrounds are at least gorgeous...
  12. GJ-bu - I almost forgot to put this on the list! It's alright, I guess. Generic, harmless. If you've seen a moe club show before then you know what you're in for. If it's your thing, go ahead. If you're like me and like variety, then pass.
  13. Inferno Cop - No.
  14. Ishida to Asakura - No.
  15. Cuticle Detective Inaba - When your show is worse than Inferno Cop you have serious problems.
  16. Senran Kagura - Oh, it's from people behind Ikki Tousen. Why was I watching this again? I don't find this kind of fanservice or characterization funny, just really fucking sexist.
  17. Vividred Operation - Not touching this one. Because fuck Strike Witches.
  18. Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT - Season 1 was bad enough, no thanks.
  19. Tamako Market - I've had enough of KyoAni doing pretty plotless moe shows. They should use their animation budget to make something amazing, not more of this K-ON-looking bullshit.
Nyaruko Cthulhu
Minami ke Tadaima
Chihayafuru Second Season
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Magicphoenix
Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo
moe Kuro Usagi = =
enjoyable and lovely, yet potential awesome story behind it,
i raiku
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi

Nyaruko Cthulhu wrote:

Minami ke Tadaima
Chihayafuru Second Season
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Should I just say this person supports these shows? I am not exactly sure what this post is supposed to say...

Besides that, all other posters have had there recommendations put into the op.
Magicphoenix
I guess if he watches them then he'll like 'em
Momochikun
AKB Next - Good
OreShura - Good
Seitokai Lv.2 - Good
Sasami-san - Bad
Mondaiji-tachi - Good
Tamako Market - Neutral
DCIII - Neutral
Tenshichan
Minami-ke Tadaima

I loved all 3 previous seasons and this one is also awesome. Can't wait for more hilarious episodes. Might become the best of all the 4 seasons.

Vividred Operation

I haven't even seen Strike Witches yet, but I like this so far. Action mixed with fanservice can't be bad though.

Amnesia

It has a nice art but I don't really like the main character. The plot may develop well so I continue watching it.

Da Capo III

Loved all the seasons, and this once starts awesome aswell. When you search for a good Harem Anime with a lot comedy then this is a 10/10. Shame that it only comes with 13 episodes, I miss the good old times. But different from the previous seasons this has more fanservice - awesome.

Pretty cool, but I liked the first season more for now. I hope it will get some really awesome episodes soon.

Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun

Well, it is funny here and there but I don't really like the setting. Maybe it gets exciting later though.

Kotoura-san

I really enjoy this. I love the characters and it is very funny aswell. Also, the introduction was very emotional and it directly catched my attention. Kotoura's power is awesome.

Love Live! School Idol Project

School and Idols ... nothing wrong here. I like it. The characters are splendid.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

I love the two main characters but it kinda reminds me of Spice and Wolf, which I didn't really like. I think it's just not my theme. Still "something" tells me to continue watching (if you know what I mean).

Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?

Only watched the first episode yet, but it seems very interesting. Let's see if it will be decent.

Now this is going to be awesome, the girl somehow reminds me of Hitagi Senjougahara (Bakemonogatari), and it is funny aswell. I think this anime won't let me down.

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

At first I thought: wtf. But after seeing the second episode I don't find it bad at all, rather interesting. I never seen someone run around with something in front of his face though (is this a reference?). However, it is also funny and I think there are some parodies. Weapon-out-of-boobs is cool too

Senran Kagura

Action, Fighting and a lot Fanservice. Not that funny though, and the "plot" will be as unneded as in Kämpfer. Let's see how it will develop.

To sum up, there is no Anime that I really don't like at all (Tbh, an Anime has to be very very bad for me to drop it), I think it will be a quite enjoyable Anime season.
Remonwater
looking forward to more kobato
i love chiwa :) not a fan of mazusu though. some of the scenes are really cringe-worthy
Magicphoenix
WTF how did I only notice after 4 eps of Maoyuu... even the ED is with the same artist as Spice and Wolf xD This really is Spice & Wolf III
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi

Magicphoenix wrote:

WTF how did I only notice after 4 eps of Maoyuu... even the ED is with the same artist as Spice and Wolf xD This really is Spice & Wolf III
If the art and animation didn't look as cheap as it is, I would agree with you, but the backgrounds have such a blurred oil painted style combined with with such terrible looking ground textures, that Maoyuu looks terrible in comparison.
Magicphoenix
Or I guess it's just meant to be a replacement for the ones who wanted a continuation of Spice and Wolf. Since the economical-adventure-medieval age style in the manga fits perfectly into that genre I believe that Takashi Takeo(the director of both S&W + Maoyuu) just decided to adapt it into anime.
And I don't want to ruin the overall concept because of oil paint backgrounds, which really could be a little better though lol, gotta get used to it I guess.
Effy
Mondaiji-tachi seems good o/
mathexpert
There's a lot of hate for tamako market because it's more moeblobs, but I have to say I'm in LOVE with this anime. Art style is perfection, characters are funny but also real and down-to-earth.. overall really amazing anime imo

also, dat bird is shady as fuck