forum

in-game chat Translator.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +188
Topic Starter
FrzR
Everytime i go to a room, people there are mostly asians(no racism) and other people that type characters that i dont understand. (Though i can read a little katakana.)

So i would suggest that on a chat line, theres a hyperlink beside the line that says "Translate", then it will be translated by any translating engine for example, Google Translate. Or in the Online Tab in the settings there is a option to translate all languages in exception of English on the Chat rooms especially #lobby.

It would be greatly appreciated for better communication to the osu! community. :)

Note: If this post has been duplicated already, just let me know. ^_^
Anzo
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/25177/

? Similar to this maybe, but this is just a 2 year-old thread.
Let's see if this thread can gain interest or not...
Topic Starter
FrzR
oh i see, but the post is already 2 years old. Probably a refresher might help. :)
blissfulyoshi
I remember peppy saying that google translator charges money for in-game translating, so he had to remove plans for the feature.
Topic Starter
FrzR
oh i see.. :|
peppy
I really do want to see this return. I may add it back as a supporter-only feature.

Edit: nevermind, it would cost $200 a day :/.
Anzo

peppy wrote:

I really do want to see this return. I may add it back as a supporter-only feature.

Edit: nevermind, it would cost $200 a day :/.
lol, too expensive..
Topic Starter
FrzR
Okay.

lock? :D

EDIT: Wait a sec. http://imtranslator.net could do some translation. Dunno if that costs much more or less though. Check it peppy! :D
Rei Hakurei
how about the 'random translation' effect for people who use 'asian/greek characters' for emoticons creativity? lol
Oblimix
This is something that'd be really handy sometimes, seeing as I occasionally chat with non-english speaking people, and need to use a translator.
Since I can't copy the text from the chat directly it becomes much harder to use; thus I need to open the chat logs and copy it from there every time.

If possible, a simple copy feature would suffice I believe.
Andres-_old
Good idea, so we understand better among all users of osu!
congaan
All I want is to copy chat texts in game to translate.
[Luanny]

congaan wrote:

^
D:
puncia

congaan wrote:

This. Will help me (and many players) A LOT.
pomni
i might be able to program somthing like this >_> maybe...
it might have to have steps to accomplish but it might be worth it
and you might be able to communicate to others in you're language to their language while you type in you're language they see they're language
Rilene
Maybe at least use something like "I can't speak <language>." for every languages and then translated to their language, it is annoying that we told that "I don't understand your language" many times and they still message to us with their language which we don't know.

I hope you know what I meant.
-HypX-
Yet it would not be an accurate translation: / but I think worth it because there are Chinese speakers in multiplayer chat and have no idea what they say
They return with a translator who is not equal exactly one can better understand what they say
I mean for me and I speak Spanish and I do not understand Chinese

I like the idea
BabyKiru
-
Greyward-Senpai
It would be cool to have something like this on our game but the channel system isn't usefull actually ?
Seijiro
If you need the chat text, use /savelog and copy the text, then translate yourself.
If they keep messaging you, you can always just ignore them using the /ignore comman (it's not like you harm them in anyway, right?)

If the costs are still the same peppy declared long time ago, I'm for a direct "no" for this, mostly because I already gave solutions above ^
Even if it could be handy for moderation in some cases... hmmm...
Topic Starter
FrzR
Oh, a bump on my old post. I still want this but due to expenses, I'm not pushing it. Being able to highlight text on in-game chat would be more convenient nonetheless.
SlowLogicBoy
I don't know how much it costs but google provides an api for translator, which detects language and translates to your choosing.