forum

Dying with Hardrock while FCing

posted
Total Posts

Should all ranked maps ever come with exactly HP6?

Only HP6 and HP7
3.07%
Remove HP from the game
18.40%
Only HP5 and HP6
4.29%
No
68.71%
Yes
5.52%
Total votes: 163
show more
Topic Starter
Aqo

loseri wrote:

You're supposed to do good on the faster parts to have enough hp on the slow parts.
I'm well aware of this but it still does more to be annoying than fun with the current HP behavior. I'm all ok with HR adding difficulty to playing the map, but all increasing the HP does to this mod is increase the annoyance level of playing with it.

I still haven't seen a single person who enjoys the increased HP from HR on any map that has HP7 (or higher) and has slow parts or long spinners. Had the HP been 6 instead of 7, it wouldn't hurt people who farm FCs /at all/ since they're not affected by HP anyway, and at the same time this would make this mod a lot more enjoyable for multiplayer and people who just play for fun from random plays without caring for farming map for a good ranking score.
GoldenWolf
Ever heard about no-fail ?

Aqo wrote:

I still haven't seen a single person who enjoys the increased HP from HR on any map that has HP7 (or higher) and has slow parts or long spinners.
I do enjoy it.

Aqo wrote:

Had the HP been 6 instead of 7, it wouldn't hurt people who farm FCs /at all/ since they're not affected by HP anyway, and at the same time this would make this mod a lot more enjoyable for multiplayer and people who just play for fun from random plays without caring for farming map for a good ranking score.
If you don't care about good ranking or farming map > Nofail. Seriously what's wrong is it ?
she_old

GoldenWolf wrote:

Aqo wrote:

I still haven't seen a single person who enjoys the increased HP from HR on any map that has HP7 (or higher) and has slow parts or long spinners.
I do enjoy it.
Me too, it adds a challenging factor, as stated several times before in this topic.
GoldenWolf

loseri wrote:

Me too, it adds a challenging factor, as stated several times before in this topic.
This map with HR is so much fun
Hanyuu
Just remove the HP boost you get for new combos and balance it out through all the song length and notes
she_old

GoldenWolf wrote:

loseri wrote:

: D
that one was very fun in multiplayer back when there was no revive.
> put song with hr
> watch most people die at start
Topic Starter
Aqo
So your fun is trolling people in multiplayer ;'o
Tshemmp

GoldenWolf wrote:

loseri wrote:

I agree :o
Tbh I never saw the drain as a challenging factor here because it is pretty easy to survive the first part and after this it is basically a walk in the park.

I was talking more about maps like http://osu.ppy.sh/s/33428, http://osu.ppy.sh/s/38506, http://osu.ppy.sh/s/25463, http://osu.ppy.sh/s/24899, http://osu.ppy.sh/s/26145 or http://osu.ppy.sh/s/23483.

Maybe I should stop posting here.
GoldenWolf

Tshemmp wrote:

I agree :o
Tbh I never saw the drain as a challenging factor here because it is pretty easy to survive the first part and after this it is basically a walk in the park.

I was talking more about maps like http://osu.ppy.sh/s/33428, http://osu.ppy.sh/s/38506, http://osu.ppy.sh/s/25463, http://osu.ppy.sh/s/24899, http://osu.ppy.sh/s/26145 or http://osu.ppy.sh/s/23483.

Maybe I should stop posting here.
? I was serious, very high hp drain are fun to me.

Try to see the hp drain as a challenge like high OD or high BPM. If you want sandbox mode you have nofail.
she_old

Aqo wrote:

So your fun is trolling people in multiplayer ;'o
Trolling people who can't stand being trolled.
buny
loser-kun abuses me in multiplayer
she_old

buny wrote:

loser-kun abuses me in multiplayer
you abuse me in bed so it's all fair
AND I DON'T EVEN ABUSE YOU IN MULTIPLAYER THAT OFTEN
[Rdyjin]
To suddenly get back more on topic, I think this issue is perpetuated largely by how useless the accuracy stat is. I seriously have never known a more useless stat; any information that one can glean from accuracy is incomplete or even wrong, and other things do much better to portray exactly what the accuracy stat intends (i.e. grades). It only serves as a stigma to do better on a song, which is good, but when it's actually not in any way related to how good one actually does unless the accuracy is 100%, it's pointless and sometimes even depressing.

Max combo, on the other hand, is much more pertinent and much more necessary as a "do better" thing, especially for players who can't just FC everything already. I get so frustrated when I accidentally bullshit a song and get some ~500x combo and every play following I have at least a whole 3% accuracy better but still fail to pass the old score. And I play taiko, where it's not even as big of an issue because score bonuses cap out.

And accuracy is in no way related to pass/fail rate; I regularly pop 91-92% on the Taiko Collab for Anison Sprint and still fail it, and from what I've seen of standard it's even worse on the other side of the fence where it's about keeping life up rather than gaining a full life bar. When I first started playing, Ds and Cs were common. Now I'm lucky to pass with a B. Those grades still tell me more about how well I played than a % accuracy.

I think if accuracy were less apparent or actually pertinent, the frustration felt from failing a song due to non-accuracy things (i.e. HP drain) would be largely mitigated. As it stands now, it's sort of conflicting data that mostly leads to unhappiness for players that aren't gods.
jesse1412

[Rdyjin] wrote:

To suddenly get back more on topic, I think this issue is perpetuated largely by how useless the accuracy stat is. I seriously have never known a more useless stat; any information that one can glean from accuracy is incomplete or even wrong, and other things do much better to portray exactly what the accuracy stat intends (i.e. grades). It only serves as a stigma to do better on a song, which is good, but when it's actually not in any way related to how good one actually does unless the accuracy is 100%, it's pointless and sometimes even depressing.

Max combo, on the other hand, is much more pertinent and much more necessary as a "do better" thing, especially for players who can't just FC everything already. I get so frustrated when I accidentally bullshit a song and get some ~500x combo and every play following I have at least a whole 3% accuracy better but still fail to pass the old score. And I play taiko, where it's not even as big of an issue because score bonuses cap out.

And accuracy is in no way related to pass/fail rate; I regularly pop 91-92% on the Taiko Collab for Anison Sprint and still fail it, and from what I've seen of standard it's even worse on the other side of the fence where it's about keeping life up rather than gaining a full life bar. When I first started playing, Ds and Cs were common. Now I'm lucky to pass with a B. Those grades still tell me more about how well I played than a % accuracy.

I think if accuracy were less apparent or actually pertinent, the frustration felt from failing a song due to non-accuracy things (i.e. HP drain) would be largely mitigated. As it stands now, it's sort of conflicting data that mostly leads to unhappiness for players that aren't gods.
stop.
[Rdyjin]

jesus1412 wrote:

[Rdyjin] wrote:

stop.
y.

It's a useless stat. It can conflict with the design of combos = score.
JappyBabes
@new guy: you say grades matter, but not accuracy. the flaw there is that grades are based on accuracy, so please:

jesus1412 wrote:

stop.
jesse1412

[Rdyjin] wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

stop.
y.

It's a useless stat. It can conflict with the design of combos = score.
Are you some kind of half-strangled, Rwandan goat? I think you should sit down and have a long think with yourself.
Soarezi
half-strangled, Rwandan goat?
lol'd
[Rdyjin]

JappyBabes wrote:

@new guy: you say grades matter, but not accuracy. the flaw there is that grades are based on accuracy, so please:

jesus1412 wrote:

stop.
They're only loosely based on accuracy, and give more information than accuracy does, and yet are less apparent throughout playing the song than accuracy is.

They are more useful as a stat than accuracy because it's the truth. They give more information on a shorter glance without any other information added in. To make the most of accuracy, other things must be known.

jesus1412 wrote:

half-strangled, Rwandan goat?
I would bleat in confirmation but I am half-strangled, you see.
JappyBabes

[Rdyjin] wrote:

They are more useful as a stat than accuracy because it's the truth. They give more information on a shorter glance without any other information added in. To make the most of accuracy, other things must be known.
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/162864 are you being serious when you say As are worse than S' on every occasion. nobody is going to watch a replay of a nomod S 94% only to see a shit play w/ 100s and 50s everywhere when someone has a perfect w/ 1x miss. stop posting and if you do post, do it in the right thread. this thread is full of scrubs that can't play HR and want to make the game so they can pass everything

you in standard: Play Count: 4
ziin
little is more aggravating than failing a song that you've full combod simply because you did poorly 15 seconds earlier in the song.
[Rdyjin]

JappyBabes wrote:

[Rdyjin] wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/b/162864 are you being serious when you say As are worse than S' on every occasion. nobody is going to watch a replay of a nomod S 94% only to see a shit play w/ 100s and 50s everywhere when someone has a perfect w/ 1x miss. stop posting and if you do post, do it in the right thread. this thread is full of scrubs that can't play HR and want to make the game so they can pass everything

you in standard: Play Count: 4
I think you are failing to understand that I'm not saying it's a good stat. I am just saying it serves its purpose better than accuracy does, and a lot of frustration comes from the conflicting, bad information. Songs are clearly meant to be played as the mapper intended, but so many things are generalized that this sense can kind of be skewed. I also never said that As are always worse than S on every occasion.

Me in standard? I play largely offline, and I dedicate myself to taiko. But I mean, if the fact that I have only played standard four times while online clearly proves that I am incapable of forming an opinion based on game design, then so be it. lol.
Tanzklaue

[Rdyjin] wrote:

They're only loosely based on accuracy, and give more information than accuracy does, and yet are less apparent throughout playing the song than accuracy is.

86% Fc is an A.
99,95% with one miss on the last note is an A
the second score is clearly better and more impressive

Accuracy is an important stat for determining what is good and what isn't.
also I find it funny how it's basically the other way around. accuracy is something you look at and you know "ah, he did good/bad", while for grades, you have to know if the player did get the grade by
a) missing
b) really bad acc or
c) too many 50s
even an S doesn't have to be an Fc, as there could be sliderbreaks which still result in an S but not in an Fc.

long story short: you really have no idea what you are talking about (or you are just a troll)
[Rdyjin]

Tanzklaue wrote:

[Rdyjin] wrote:

86% Fc is an A.
99,95% with one miss on the last note is an A
the second score is clearly better and more impressive

Accuracy is an important stat for determining what is good and what isn't.
also I find it funny how it's basically the other way around. accuracy is something you look at and you know "ah, he did good/bad", while for grades, you have to know if the player did get the grade by a) missing
b) really bad acc or
c) too many 50s
even an S doesn't have to be an Fc, as there could be sliderbreaks which still result in an S but not in an Fc.

long story short: you really have no idea what you are talking about (or you are just a troll)
But you can't just look at accuracy and know, ah, he did good/bad. A 99.95% score, with that number alone, tells you very little except that the play was almost perfect. It might be an impressive play, but score-wise it could be absolutely shit, depending on the location of the miss. Even if you know it's a 99.95% A, which means a miss occurred somewhere, you don't know where it occurred and you don't know how the score ranks up with other plays in the first place. Impressive play, sure, but you still don't know what the *osu scoring system* thinks of that play. If the miss occurred halfway through the song, lol, tough shit for that player.

Accuracy combined with other information does that, but the other information is not easily available while playing, and it means nothing to what the game itself thinks of the scores. Grades are a bit closer to telling you what the game thought of the score and can present more information alone. Aside from all that, they gravely conflict with other information and set multiple standards, leading to frustration. It's not good design.
ryza
protip: score doesn't matter unless you want top 40

another tip: reading is a useful skill. this thread is about HR and drain, not debating the usefulness of accuracy (which, by the way, is pretty much the point of playing a music game - hitting in time to the beat)
Yarissa

Silynn wrote:

this thread is about HR and drain, not debating the usefulness of accuracy (which, by the way, is pretty much the point of playing a music game - hitting in time to the beat)
CXu
@[Rdyjin]: Then why don't you just look at the score?
Topic Starter
Aqo

Silynn wrote:

another tip: reading is a useful skill. this thread is about HR and drain, not debating the usefulness of accuracy (which, by the way, is pretty much the point of playing a music game - hitting in time to the beat)
This. Please stay on topic.

Nobody ever said accuracy doesn't matter; better accuracy plays will always be worth more than lower accuracy plays and HP doesn't affect this /at all/. This thread is about discussing whether you find the drain from HR frustrating to play with and would you consider it an improvement to put it more in line with normal drain.
Anzo

Silynn wrote:

this thread is about HR and drain
wow... this is getting off-topic

Tanzklaue wrote:

accuracy is something you look at and you know "ah, he did good/bad"
Not always... getting a 100s in the first three notes (you lose ~600pts) is better than getting a 100 in the last note of the song (you lose ~10000 pts) if you FC the song.

Back to the thread topic:
I always blame long combo notes (not streams) since HP is draining fast before you can recover.

And as always, play for fun, one of the best techniques around.
Ekaru

lolcubes wrote:

2012 gaming in a nutshell:
Make things easier because it's hard.
This reminds me about how when Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed came out a month ago a bunch of people kept complaining about how they couldn't beat the harder difficulties right away... Then a week or two later they said they managed to unlock everything after some practice and that it felt really, really good when they were finally able to do it. Pfft, gamers these days. :roll:

On-Topic: I like HP Drain because it adds a sense of challenge to any given map that any given player finds difficult. Without HP Drain, passing would never be a challenge. Likewise, for the super skilled players I'd imagine that playing on HR can give them a similar feeling of, "Must do well if I want to pass." If the map can't be passed on HR blame the mapper, not the mechanic.
darkinas

Ekaru wrote:

If the map can't be passed on HR blame the mapper, not the mechanic.
/thread
winber1
darius op

also,

Ekaru wrote:

it adds a sense of challenge
You know, not having HP drain is kind of like racing nobody but yourself. You are running ( or driving or biking, etc) to the finish by yourself. You have nothing to beat except your previous times. Perhaps some people like playing casually, but with the rising numbers in the community and the amount of pro players, there needs to be a competitive aspect to the game.

Hardrock isn't much different. Complaining about HP drain in Hardrock is like racing people that suck at racing and that you know aren't good at racing. You are still racing something, but you pretty know you will win. Again, I tell you that some people like the more casual play, but most people like the competitive environment, and this sort of environment fits much better with the community.

And as said, there is like only 1 map where HR is literally impossible, which is Mendes. But aside from that there really isn't anything wrong with HardRock. If you can't beat it because of drain, then you don't deserve to beat it with HR and you could just use Nofail or get better accuracy.

And this has probably been said like 24 times.
she_old

winber1 wrote:

And this has probably been said like 24 times.
this occurs in most topics
buny

[Rdyjin] wrote:

Typing out a wall of text won't make you look any more stupid than you already are.
druidxd
As I said in another thread about the same thing, most fails on HR while FCing happen in Spinners, Long spinners to be more accurate, so why don't they just simply raise the HP gain from spinning to counter the hp drain, since HR is supposed to be more difficult than nomod, just calculate that to pass a long spinner in nomod you will need a "constant" rpm of about 320-360 (don't really tested it but I guess that's average), and to pass the same long spinner in HR you "should" need at least a "constant" rpm of about 400 (it's not THAT hard, and since it's HR and it "should" be more difficult, raising the minimum rpm to 400, instead of about 500 which is what the "auto" almost needs to achieve in order to pass long spinners like Mendes, seem quite fair).

Regarding slow parts of the song, most of them, if not all, are passable with good accuracy, which is fine by me at least, if you can't achieve high accuracy, don't play HR. (that's why I don't play it BTW)
D33d
To the poll, no. Don't be stupid. If a map has unfair drain sections, then it probably shouldn't be ranked. Alternatively, play better.

Mods are applied at the player's behest. If a mod's too hard for a map, then don't play that map with it.
primrose
YES
When I play Hardrock, it's not fun that when I spin a spinner, I failed because my weak hands while spinning
Support ( I don't have a star >_>)
Naikaze
No.

You die because of a spinner? Spin better =))

Edit:

Wishy
It's actually quite lame to fail a HR map because of a spinner tho, some maps are just way too demanding (like that you posted).
she_old
Well spinning is also an aspect in the name you need to get better at, even though it's sometimes REALLY demanding even without HR. (refer to: happy30 maps)
Then HR on that is just crazy.
show more