forum

Black or Red?

posted
Total Posts
show more
kriers
I've had my moments of despair over my reds, but that was before I could play with kb.
Over a year with hard training on blues made me confident to give them another try.
It's by far the best for me and it made my control on higher bpms rise dramatically.
I don't think it drains acc with practice either.
PhiLL A
I have a keyboard with blues, should I get reds? Blues are the only type of switch I've ever tried.
jesse1412

MxG PhiLL wrote:

I have a keyboard with blues, should I get reds? Blues are the only type of switch I've ever tried.
No blacks master race.
zhurai
I have blacks and it's hard for me to use the keyboard personally for anything but maybe spamming keys (i.e. half assed streaming)

but I'm not a pro so /shrug

(kinda cause it's harder for me to press down v.v)
(wonder if I should try red)
LoGo
I am using blue and i hate them. It's ridiculous how hard is to do multiple triples/quads, how is it even possible to lift off your finger so high and then start spamming again :S(on really high bpm, what happens: 1. don't press button at all 2. i don't lift-off enough ) , especially Blackwidow, already broke ~6keys and there's almost nothing left to change... (at least comfortable). Waiting for money and gonna try red.
But maybe that's because i'm really used to small lift-off even after 1 year i just can't get used to them.
Sorun

LoGo wrote:

I am using blue and i hate them. It's ridiculous how hard is to do multiple triples/quads, how is it even possible to lift off your finger so high and then start spamming again :S(on really high bpm, what happens: 1. don't press button at all 2. i don't lift-off enough ) , especially Blackwidow, already broke ~6keys and there's almost nothing left to change... (at least comfortable). Waiting for money and gonna try red.
But maybe that's because i'm really used to small lift-off even after 1 year i just can't get used to them.
b-b-but blue master race
Dekonare

Sorun wrote:

b-b-but blue master race
Totally agreed. Cherry Blues are awesome.
buny

Wishy wrote:

If the switch is lighter then it's better.

Red is lighter than black and uses pretty much the same mechanism therefore it's better. This is not about opinions and preference but physical facts. If the button requires less force to be activated then your endurance on streams or 1/2 will be better.

What is, indeed, about preference, is choosing between blue or red. Using red switches means you gotta bottom out the key for it to work, on Blue ones you don't.

Most of what people will tell you about this is pure crap, I've tested red, blue, black, buckler-spring (those old IBM switches I don't know how they are called) and I wouldn't even think about getting anything besides red or blue. Not talking about brown switches since I barely used them but they are kind of a mix between blue and black so meh. If you want switches which are just better go with either red or blue, rest are not as good as them for osu!.
that's only if you try to use as much force required for activation force

a lot of people use a lot more force than intended to press the keys
lolcubes
I haven't tried reds because they are ridiculously hard to find here (most likely will have to import), however I am pretty happy with blacks. I prefer the harder keys to super soft ones not because of maximum speed potential, but because I use my keyboard for more than just gaming, and super light keys might get in the way.
On the other hand I am very happy with them because my own speed is good enough (can stream extreme BPM without much issues), but on lower bpm I prefer harder keys by far. It just feels much better streaming 120~140 bpm on harder keys (I wish they were harder actually) than on softer, but I guess that could just be me.
There is no doubt that reds will yield in a bigger stamina pool for reasons Wishy already stated, however I believe there is more to it than just pure stamina/speed which is the reason that I don't want to switch to reds (I would like to try them though, just to see for myself).

I have tested blues in the store I was buying my blacks at and I can say they are disappointingly bad, at least in my opinion. The keys feel weird and pressing them feels weird. I know this is personal preference and pressing those keys felt like my presses are getting interrupted, that just didn't feel right. Also most popular blue keyboards (blackwidlol) have insanely bad build quality and probably bad rollover (my keyboard has NKRO, vs blackwidlol's 3KRO).

Sorun wrote:

b-b-but blue master race
Unless you want to share your thoughts in a more descriptive manner which describes why are they superiour, I would probably say that you might have bought the wrong keyboard. ;)
Wishy

buny wrote:

Yeah well that's why you gotta master it.
Sorun
Currently on mobile, but i summarized my thoughts in the last mech thread. Blues are excellent for gaming and typing. What's not to like?

Like I said ... Master race
she_old
Red are pretty nice to me however I'm pretty curious for blacks/blues, maybe buying additional loose switches for your keyboard would be a good idea to try out the other colors.
Mesita
i've tried blue, black and red. I'm comfortable with blue and black. Red was waaay too light for me, i couldn't maintain any kind of speed(even though i felt at times i could go REAL FAST). Maybe u just have to get used to them, but i'm way too used to smashing keys so i felt like streaming on the air :/.

i hope that helps
Emaal

Wishy wrote:

buny wrote:

Yeah well that's why you gotta master it.
then stop correcting me, when i say it's all about adaption.
LoGo
winber1
blues suck.

reds master race.
Emaal

winber1 wrote:

blues suck.

reds master race.
actually i prefered blacks; shame that i had to ship them away 2 months ago ;_;
winber1
it's cuz your black santa. gtfo
buny
In just two weeks blues made me stream 600bpm with 1 finger
Taro Sykes

Wishy wrote:

What is, indeed, about preference, is choosing between blue or red. Using red switches means you gotta bottom out the key for it to work, on Blue ones you don't.
All cherry mechanical switches actuate at halfway points.
Sayorie

Qrunch wrote:

All cherry mechanical switches actuate at halfway points.
Not quite exactly... http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Also next time don't necropost.
esterace
:cc I don't know which should I buy. I really want blue switches but people say that red it's the best for osu, other say that brow it's better and others say that silver is the best. I heard a lot of people complaining about blue, idk. What should I do?

I'm not a pro player, but I'm decent.
koemada
black
zoklev
brown
The Gambler
Definitely black. Red means you owe peppy something...
OsuBurger_old_1

Joof wrote:

I'm planning on buying the Steelseries 6Gv2, but I'm not sure which one would be better. The black switches or the red switches, now, before you start going, oh, buying a mechanical keyboard just for osu! isn't worth it. But, I'm not only using it for osu!, that's the thing, I play other games and I need a good keyboard with anti ghosting, etc. Also I'm sorta like a Steelseries fanboy haha.

So, anyways, which one do you guys prefer or recommend? Black or Red?
This is like really really late but I recommend Gateron Optical Yellows for osu!
(if you have an optical hotswap keyboard i recommend this)
Force: 35g
Actuation: 1mm
Response Time: 0.2ms
Travel: 3.2mm