forum

Live collaborative mapping.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,526
Topic Starter
cheesiest
I was collabing with Ayu on a beatmap, and we thought of the idea that we could have this special room for making beatmaps collaboratively.

What we propose is that you, the beatmap creator, can invite people to join a room, and in that room, you have the mapping interface, a chatroom, and a list of users in the room, with the map creator with special FX and on top.

There'd be a supervisor(the map creator), and the others in the room. The supervisor can give permissions to people in that room to either start placing objects and inherited sections, add hitsounds, and any other thing that would fit.
Ayu
Note that this was OUR Idea. 50% Kudos to me plz.
Kyshiro
Seems to be hard to implement, But yeah, epic proposal is epic +priority
theowest
I've thought of requesting this for a long time now. D33d and I discussed it a long time ago.

I hope this will be possible.
Moway
Would be fun ^^
MillhioreF
Duplicate of t/23790, which is a duplicate of a denied request - this one is more well thought-out though, and the original thread was years ago, so let's give it another try for now.
Archangel Tirael
Duplicated! It's already discussed long time ago.
theowest

MillhioreF wrote:

this one is more well thought-out though, and the original thread was years ago, so let's give it another try for now.
:roll:
MillhioreF
...huh, for some reason I didn't notice the peppyveto while skimming. Should we mark this as a duplicate anyway, then?
TheVileOne
^I don't know what you're talking about.

I highly doubt peppy would ever have the time to add this anyways (even if it is a good idea).
Kuro

TheVileOne wrote:

^I don't know what you're talking about.

I highly doubt peppy would ever have the time to add this anyways (even if it is a good idea).
It sure would be nice though... Instead of waiting on someone, that may not even want to work on the collab., to map their part and send it to you and then having to add their timing points and hit objects to the .osu... That's not even including if their part is either garbage or unrankable.. :roll:

I really like this idea and it would make collaborating more efficient. If this is not well supported maybe a compromise can be made?
karma_komodo
Cool!, but its not a minor change so dont spect it soon, there are too many things to coordinate and test for this to happen.
Support!
PROGUY
I like this idea a lot. And IMO it's not a duplicate since the idea (collab mapping) is unrelated to those in the old threads.
peppy
I'll make a deal: If someone creates a series of video tutorials on mapping in osu! – something I've hoped would have been done by now without even having to ask – I will put everything to one side and make something like this happen. This is not a new idea, and it is something I have been keen to implement, but there is a lot involved in making it work correctly.

Hell, I might even settle for new video tutorials on installing and loading new maps into osu! or anything really. I's so sad to see so few quality tutorial videos :(.
jabberwockey

peppy wrote:

I'll make a deal: If someone creates a series of video tutorials on mapping in osu! – something I've hoped would have been done by now without even having to ask – I will put everything to one side and make something like this happen. This is not a new idea, and it is something I have been keen to implement, but there is a lot involved in making it work correctly.

Hell, I might even settle for new video tutorials on installing and loading new maps into osu! or anything really. I's so sad to see so few quality tutorial videos :(.

Sounds like a good deal. osu! really needs some video tutorials on mapping :(
jemhuntr
I would love to help create those videos, but unfortunately, I have no idea about those cool awesome extravagant amazing fancy mapping techniques.
hell yeah. I don't map. My first map got graveyarded, and I submitted a new one lately, which is bound to be graveyarded again xD
Kuro

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

I would love to help create those videos, but unfortunately, I have no idea about those cool awesome extravagant amazing fancy mapping techniques.
hell yeah. I don't map. My first map got graveyarded, and I submitted a new one lately, which is bound to be graveyarded again xD
Same here, I'm still a noob when it comes to mapping so I wouldn't be of much use... It looks like we'll have to get help from a pro if we want to get those videos made. :?

Quickly, to the thinking chamber!! \o/
ReVeNg3r

Kuro wrote:

Same here, I'm still a noob when it comes to mapping so I wouldn't be of much use... It looks like we'll have to get help from a pro if we want to get those videos made. :?
One BAT/MAT ?

also good idea.
i gave you my last star :cry:
Bites
I've been learning quite a bit about mapping from the bit I've been doing, as well as talking with others who have ranked maps. I also have genuine knowledge on making good tutorials (clear voice, no stuttering, planned out & everything), so I could give it a shot.

EDIT: Question for those among you who are mappers - why HASN'T a tutorial series been done yet? I can't imagine every single person on here who has even a bit to know about mapping, and noone has thought to do as such yet.. unless some among you have thought about it, but didn't do it for a specific reason.
ryza
I think a large part of it would be a language thing, many many mappers are foreign and don't have good enough english to do a proper english tutorial

Other than that it comes down to :effort: and lack of knowledge on how to put one together.

I have seen video tutorials around, and I thought there was one posted in the FAQ, but none of them are that great or extensive
Bites

Silynn wrote:

I think a large part of it would be a language thing, many many mappers are foreign and don't have good enough english to do a proper english tutorial

Other than that it comes down to :effort: and lack of knowledge on how to put one together.

I have seen video tutorials around, and I thought there was one posted in the FAQ, but none of them are that great or extensive
If we have any amount of foreign speakers who also speak english and are willing to contribute to a project like this, we could create a single tutorial video with a set-in-stone script and have versions in different languages. It'd need to be really solid, though.
Sakura
This isn't a place to discuss making video tutorials, this is a place to discuss the current request, there are a few threads regarding tutorials if you look for them, it'd be best to just ask mappers or learn mapping yourself and then make them, and once they're done post them in a thread in the beatmapping general questions.
jemhuntr
can't there be more proper mapping techniques in the wiki?? I could make a real noob timing help video since I'm only good at timing maps xD
I timed like 20 songs but never placed any circle on them xD
Kuro

Sakura wrote:

This isn't a place to discuss making video tutorials, this is a place to discuss the current request, there are a few threads regarding tutorials if you look for them, it'd be best to just ask mappers or learn mapping yourself and then make them, and once they're done post them in a thread in the beatmapping general questions.
The current situation:

peppy wrote:

We have to resolve the task at hand before progress can be made on this feature request :|
Rei Hakurei
hmm the collaborative mapping, i hope it supports either submitted and non-submitted ones similar like spectating; (hoping someone would make the tutorial, i remember Cyril or Suzully had made it lol, only one)
peppy
You can discuss this all you want, but as per usual, I will not take any specifics into account until I have implemented a feature to my liking. Just so you know before going wild with your imagination.
TheVileOne
I would, but it would be better if a BAT made the video tutorials since they are the better mappers. I vote charles445 to make a comprehensive video list. Whoever does it, it would most certainly be worth it. That's why I would offer, but my voice is shrill and annoying when I record.

We need to decide on one person, because several people doing it at once may not be the best way to consolidate our efforts. Who would be the best person to do this, so peppy and the future mappers wont get lead wrongly. And also we should move it to, you know what peppy. You don't have a tutorials board. General questions is similar to one, but it's not the same. No wonder you don't have a set of them yet, there's not a perfect place for one to be made.

I guess for now we could move the discussion on that to 56 unless someone has a better area to discuss a video tutorial initiative.

In the meantime I will feature request a Tutorials board.

Edit: Or we can discuss here... I guess... It doesn't matter to me as long as Sakura doesn't get on my case.
jemhuntr
/me jumps out of thinking chamber

okay so guys, let's start planning those videos! *with high spirits* :3
Since it will be a series, here's how I think the flow should go (these will be really short videos since people like me hate long endless boring tuts) :
rawr
I. INTRODUCTION
A. Choosing A Song To Map
B. Getting Familiar With The Editor (osu!std only)
II. GETTING STARTED
A. Setting Up A Song Difficulty
B. Timing Your Map Properly
C. Adding Timing Sections And Kiai Time
D. Placing Notes, Sliders, And Spinners
E. Using The Editor Features: Distance Snap, Grid Snap, etc.
F. Customizing The Hitsounds (Preset Ones)
III. BASICS OF MAPPING
A. Mapping Techniques: Most Common Note Patterns
B. Map Editor Features: Flip and Rotate
C. Mapping Techniques: Advanced Note Patterns
D. Polishing Your Map
IV. DESIGNING YOUR MAP
A. Adding A Background Image And Color
B. Adding A Video
C. Optimizing Your Video
D. Introduction To Storyboarding
E. Basics Of Storyboarding
V. ADVANCED MAPPING
A. Using Different Time Signatures
B. Using Advanced Beat Snaps
C. Adding Custom Hitsounds
D. <insert Charles445 threads here>
VI. ADVANCED CUSTOMIZATION AND DESIGN
A. Most Common Storyboarding Techniques
B. Adding Custom Skin Elements
C. Advanced Customization Techniques
VII. GAME MODE SPECIFIC MAPS
A. Mapping Taiko Difficulties
B. Mapping CTB Difficulties
C. Mapping mania Difficulties
VIII. PUBLISH YOUR BEATMAP
A. Submitting Your Map
B. Keeping Your Map Up-To-Date
C. Getting Your Map Ranked
so more or less we should be able to produce 25+ short videos, including in-depth sb discussions and basic game mode specific mapping. We need someone to make the awesome videos, someone to record their sexy voices, and a lot of people adding up info for each video. ^_^

Edit: I went browsing some Charles445 threads, and it made me want to put a super advanced mapping techniques section xD

Yes, I know there are some topics up there that will be useless. It needs repolishing. :)
CXu
^You forgot about submitting the map :P
jemhuntr
oh goodness. /runs
I can't really produce proper outputs when typing on my phone >.<
I'll add it, might take ten minutes or so xD
Sakura
there's no real need to split them into so many videos, specially considering you can use annotations to link to other parts of the video.

Also think of the people not fluent enough with english at the very least there should be some subtitles or closed captions for other languages and/or at least so that people can read the text if they cant follow the dialogue.
Kuro
Nice plan, it's well thought out :D
jemhuntr
yep, I was thinking of a subtitle/caption system. Let's just pack everything inside mkv's so users get to choose their desired subtitle. Although I have no idea on how to make it possible with streaming. Any ideas? We can't spam a youtube video with multi language captions.
Sakura
youtube accepts subtitle/caption files to be added to the video, viewers will have a CC option which they can choose which language to enable.
Mithos
I would be up for recording some mapping tutorials but I do not believe I am qualified. We just need a few people who have a few maps ranked already to help us. Even just asking them what kind of tips they would want to add in would make the video(s) more effective.
TheVileOne
/me jumps out of thinking chamber

okay so guys, let's start planning those videos! *with high spirits* :3
Since it will be a series, here's how I think the flow should go (these will be really short videos since people like me hate long endless boring tuts) :
This box has been hijacked
I. INTRODUCTION
A. Choosing A Song To Map
^^^ Kind of subjective. Unless you want to adhere to osu stereotypes, I would only discuss this briefly.
1. Remember to change bitrate.
2. Song length
3. Recommendations for beginner level maps- what should you start out mapping- and what songs you should try to avoid.
4. ^ example maps of each
B. Getting Familiar With The Editor (osu!std only)
I'm not sure what we would be getting familiar with... Everything is going to be covered in part II. This should be the introduction to part II
II. GETTING STARTED
A. Setting Up A Song Difficulty
1. How will we go about instructing this? What guidelines?
B. Timing Your Map Properly
1. I could perhaps be helpful unless you know some super timers out there. (charles!)
2. Will need visual indications- edit in arrows, and make sure people understand what's going on
3. Tap the beat is only semi-useful. Cover manual timing/finding proper offset
C. Adding Timing Sections And Kiai Time
1. Red lines, green lines, bookmarks? differences
2. Introduce the timing setup panel
3. Introduction to volume adjustment
4. style tab- when to start/end kiai
D. Placing Notes, Sliders, And Spinners
1. Really straight forward??? If we're teaching them how to time first, it seems weird that these really obvious parts are tought later. Unless we're structuring this as a beatmap from start to finish. That would be difficult. Timing should be moved lower down on the video list
2. what about slider velocity?
E. Using The Editor Features: Distance Snap, Grid Snap, etc.
1. Distance snap, use it!!!!!one
F. Customizing The Hitsounds (Preset Ones)
III. BASICS OF MAPPING
A. Mapping Techniques: Most Common Note Patterns
-Which patterns?
1. Common mapping styles/themes
2. Mapping Easy/Normal/Hard/Insane < a lot right here
3. include symmetry somewhere
4. Flow (charles!)

B. Map Editor Features: Flip and Rotate < is it that complex that it needs it's own part?
C. Mapping Techniques: Advanced Note Patterns
Oh boy....
D. Polishing Your Map
Nazi!!!!...
1. ai-mod?
2. Consistency (spacing, difficulty, hitsounds)
IV. DESIGNING YOUR MAP
A. Adding A Background Image And Color
1. NSFW
B. Adding A Video
1. rankability
2. It's not pirating, it's borrowing :p
C. Optimizing Your Video
D. Introduction To Storyboarding
E. Basics Of Storyboarding
1. Basics are not really basic.
V. ADVANCED MAPPING
A. Using Different Time Signatures
1. Include visual aid
B. Using Advanced Beat Snaps
1. Good luck
C. Adding Custom Hitsounds
D. <insert Charles445 threads here>
VI. ADVANCED CUSTOMIZATION AND DESIGN
A. Most Common Storyboarding Techniques
B. Adding Custom Skin Elements
C. Advanced Customization Techniques
VII. GAME MODE SPECIFIC MAPS
A. Mapping Taiko Difficulties
B. Mapping CTB Difficulties But we still don't know what we're doing!!!!
C. Mapping mania Difficulties ^^^^
VIII. PUBLISH YOUR BEATMAP Why is this at the very end of the tutorials. you're going to make them go through all the advanced stuff before they are allowed to submit?
A. Submitting Your Map
B. Keeping Your Map Up-To-Date
C. Getting Your Map Ranked
so more or less we should be able to produce 25+ short videos, including in-depth sb discussions and basic game mode specific mapping. We need someone to make the awesome videos, someone to record their sexy voices, and a lot of people adding up info for each video. ^_^

Edit: I went browsing some Charles445 threads, and it made me want to put a super advanced mapping techniques section xD

Yes, I know there are some topics up there that will be useless. It needs repolishing. :)

^ Damn right

It will be a lot of work. I am on board, although I'm not sure what I can do. This seems like an insurmountable task. We need to narrow that list down IMO. I will edit this post with a more manageble list.

• 1. GETTING STARTED

I. Finding a Song

-How to choose the proper song
    -Editing that song to the proper bitrate.
    -Setting title/artist information/other information
    -Introduction to setup panel

II. Basic timing

-Tap method
    -Using playback rate
    -Explain down beats, and how to find them
    -Finding an offset
    -Explain tick rates and briefly go over the Beat Snap divisor (1/3rd is not beginner friendly)
    -BPM fine-tuning

III. Buttons, Objects, and Tabs, oh my! :p

-Explain circles, sliders, and spinners.
    -Repeaters
    -Briefly explain changing the slider velocity (save how to use it for the next video)
    -Explain hitsound buttons lightly.
    -Go through each tab and explain it's purpose

2. WHAT DIFFICULTY AM I MAKING?

I. Naming your difficulty

-Naming conventions

II. Choosing the Right Settings

-Making an Easy
    -Making a Normal
    -Making a Hard
    -Making an Insane
    -what you should avoid
    -Setting Slider Velocity for each difficulty
    -Show how it affects objects

III. Using inheriteds and bookmarks

-Main uses for creating an inherited section
    -Briefly mention kiai
    -Explain their relevance in the timeline.
    -Explain bookmarks and how to use them

IV. Creating new difficulties

-Use Save as New Difficulty
    -To clear or not to clear?

3. LETS START MAPPING

I. Time-distance Equality rule

-What is distance snap?
    -When is it alright to not use distance snap?
    -Changing distance snap
    -Introduction to basic jumps
    -Introduction to flow (leave indepth discussion to a later part)
    -Jump or no jump?
    -What is gridsnap?
    -How is it used?

II. Basic Hitsounding

-Finding the main beat
    -Choosing the right hitsound
    -How to avoid hitsound spam
    -Introduction to adjusting hitsound volumes and sampleset with inherited sections
    -Commonly used hitsound techniques
    -2,4 beat
    -Gradual increase/decrease in volume
    -Finding sub-rhythms
    -Finding a balance (audio levels complement the music)
    -wrap up hitsounding (inform that choosing custom samplesets is an advanced technique and will be covered later)

III. Combo usage

-Introduction to combos
    -How to change a combo.
    -When to change a combo.
    -Guidelines to changing a combo
    -Choosing custom combos colors

IV. Slider Types

-Introduction to symmetry
    -Different slider types/techniques
    -Common curves
    -S and wave sliders (reference RandomJibberish)
    -U sliders
    -Using red points/corner sliders
    -Wigglies
    -Flipping/rotating
    -Is slider art okay?
    -Which slider type should I use?

V. Spinners

-Proper spinner placement (mapping into/out of a spinner)
    -Proper spinner length per difficulty
    -How OD affects spinners
    -How to fix a spinner that's too short

4. BASIC TECHNIQUES
I will wait until this discussion is moved to another topic to continue this. Someone should start the thread
Kyshiro
23:30 Kyshiro: pro
23:30 Kyshiro: ik ga wel wat tutorials maken > I will try to make some tutorials
23:30 Ayu: LOL
23:30 Ayu: ik wou dat ook doen > I wanted to do the same thing
23:30 Ayu: beter doen we serie's > Let's make series
23:31 Ayu: Pro mapping with Kyshiro & Ayu

I think me and Ayu could work out a few tutorials.

TVO's guidelines seem to be pretty nice, could definitely use that.

If there's anyone else who wants to join, send me a forum PM or contact me in-game whenever I'm online, I'm sure we can make this work out.

For the people that want to join:
-Should have a working mic, I think talking is the best way (Adding subtitles is a nice idea too, someone skilled in video editting would come in handy over there)
-Decent English is definitely required, I'm not saying it has to be perfect, accents are fine too, as long as it's simple to understand what you're trying to say.
-You should have decent mapping experience.

^If anyone else has something to add to this list, please do not hestitate to let me know
show more