forum

Remove "note locking" from TAG

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +209
Topic Starter
Mara
Apparently one of the reasons people don't play TAG is because of the note lock it has. The note lock causes silly misses and makes people sad.

It would be nice if this note locking thing could be removed, which will improve the gameplay for TAG.

This makes more sense;

Ekaru wrote:

Note locking should only apply to your own notes.
theowest
Yes. Even if you want play normally on a non-tag map with TAG coop, you would be screwed by this note locking.
MillhioreF
To clarify, I believe "note locking" is the inability to hit your note if the previous note hasn't been hit yet. This makes sense in standard, because it would be silly if you could hit notes out of order, but it ought to be waived for new combos in tag play (because if the person before you messes up, then you have to hit your note late in order to hit it at all at no fault of your own, which defeats the purpose of a rhythm game.)
theowest
If you try to click someone else's note right before your own, it will register as if you tried to click your note too early which will cause you too miss in most cases.
but if someone missed before you, you won't be able to click as easily either. as MillhioreF just explained.
Nessuka
Support+
Sakura
This looks more like an issue than a feature request for me, nevertheless support, i never knew of that limitation.
NixXSkate
this issue makes songs like Utage wa Eien ni in tag practically impossible because of lag/someone missing, which kinda ruins the point of it being a TAG4 map. but then again, TAG maps can't even be ranked anymore for some reason. regardless, the tag system has quite a few problems, including this. :(
TheVileOne
Doesn't sound intentional... Also sounds more complex to fix than it might seem. If you guys could come up with some evidence that this exists, or a proper way to replicate it, it could be one of those troll confirms that sit there because the fix is more complicated than it's worth.
Topic Starter
Mara

TheVileOne wrote:

Doesn't sound intentional... Also sounds more complex to fix than it might seem. If you guys could come up with some evidence that this exists, or a proper way to replicate it, it could be one of those troll confirms that sit there because the fix is more complicated than it's worth.
One great example is right above you.

NixXSkate wrote:

this issue makes songs like Utage wa Eien ni in tag practically impossible because of lag/someone missing, which kinda ruins the point of it being a TAG4 map.
Basically, make a lobby, invite 3 other guys, play Utage wa Eien on TAG4, make someone miss during
00:12:203 (1,2,3,4,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1) - and see what happens. It's not impossible if you can get it right, but if someone misses, nobody is going to have a good day.

Another great example is the deathstream in Red Zone.
Saten
oh yeah Utage wa Eien ni ~SHD~
1 miss during those parts and goodbye D:

It is intended because you play as a team, not as individuals.
You share the same HP/Combo and so.

This fits better here in "Feature Request" rather than in "Technical Support".
Topic Starter
Mara

Saten wrote:

It is intended because you play as a team, not as individuals.
You share the same HP/Combo and so.
I highly doubt it's intended behaviour, since once someone misses, you don't even hit your own notes even if you're actually hitting them.
Saten
This is a nice example that you can test
Nico Nico Douga - U.N. Owen wa Kanojo nanoka? (Nico Mega Mix)

Mara wrote:

I highly doubt it's intended behaviour, since once someone misses, you don't even hit your own notes even if you're actually hitting them.
It is the same if you play single player and miss stuff. It happens because of the tolerence level (higher OD helps a bit, but it wont help much on Utage wa Eien ni though)
theowest

TheVileOne wrote:

If you guys could come up with some evidence that this exists, or a proper way to replicate it, it could be one of those troll confirms that sit there because the fix is more complicated than it's worth.
Have you even played TAG coop before? You'll notice this problem immediately once you play a streamy TAG map.
smoogipoo
Supporting this so much, especially with the TAG2 tournament around the corner, and some maps will be unpassable because of notelocking like http://osu.ppy.sh/b/35015
pielak213
­
Drafura
Support. I wanted to experiment some mapping some months ago designed for tag and get stucked by this behavior.
Hanyuu
yeah it should definitely be removed
she_old
Agree!
MillhioreF
Note locking definitely belongs in normal play, and most of the time in tag coop too. It just shouldn't apply to the start of the next player's turn (new combo) otherwise they can hit at the right time and still fail through no fault of their own, which is dumb.
she_old
I remember playing tag long long long ago and it ended up with my friend blaming me for failing even though she missed a note and made me unable to hit the next note due to note locking.

imo: note locking should only apply to your own notes and have nothing to do with the notes from other teams.
Ekaru
Note locking should only apply to your own notes. I don't play TAG but I support this anyways because it seems like a bug to me and makes no sense.
Uni
I agree with this there is no fun with Note locking at all
theowest

Ekaru wrote:

Note locking should only apply to your own notes. I don't play TAG but I support this anyways because it seems like a bug to me and makes no sense.
Very good point. This should be brought up in the OP.
Fenek Alfa

Ekaru wrote:

Note locking should only apply to your own notes.
THIS
+1 support
QHideaki13
+1
Topic Starter
Mara
Also bumping this one, because #revivetag2014
- Marco -
I agree with this!