forum

What is consider as average for osu! standard?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Marblehead
TIL that ranks #300-#700 are average.
Back to practice.
Next goal: become average!
she_old

silmarilen wrote:

in terms of skill i would say being able to pass easy insanes with a decent accuracy (doesnt have to be FC yet) is already quite average, being able to fc most of the beginner insanes on sight read is above average already.
See I'm shit tier >:
silmarilen
you and aqo are a special case
buny
maggot tier reporting for duty
lolcubes
I would say an average player is someone who can S/A "normal" insanes. Regardless of rank. Accuracy is a moot point because it will vary between tries, however to fulfill the above criteria, it should be around 94% at least.
Unless my viewpoint is heavily distorted because this is what I was doing when I considered myself something like average (back then I couldn't even stream more than 9 notes, any bpm).
Tanzklaue
according to aqo, almost no one is a higher average player. dat AR 10 and streamability.

then again, the OD.criteria is ridiculous. even I, as a complete accuracy noob, can get easily above 95% on OD7, if I try really hard. so if my streaming wouldn't be abysmal, I would probably near average according to aqo.

according to me, I'm not even near average. my streaming is not een good enough to be called simply "bad", and my accuracy is also really bad. and beyond 200 BPM I am just lost.
Aqo

Tanzklaue wrote:

then again, the OD.criteria is ridiculous. even I, as a complete accuracy noob, can get easily above 95% on OD7
above 95% on OD7 on stream maps or on non stream maps?

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/47757
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/55802
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/60081
Tanzklaue

OD8, 196 BPM, streamy as hell. COME AT ME

ok, this is probably the best score I ever achieved. and streaming is kinda that what holds me back at getting any better at this game, but generally, if the map is not a deathstream and jumpcompilation: yes, yes it is easy for a player around my level and it should be even easier for others.
silmarilen

Aqo wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

then again, the OD.criteria is ridiculous. even I, as a complete accuracy noob, can get easily above 95% on OD7

>linking a bunch of really hard maps only a couple hundred people can actually fc

yeah... if thats required to be average cookiezi is the only mildly good player
she_old

Tanzklaue wrote:

OD8, 196 BPM, streamy as hell. COME AT ME
Not that streamy but hard to accuracy, pretty nice

>:
Tanzklaue

silmarilen wrote:

Aqo wrote:

>linking a bunch of really hard maps only a couple hundred people can actually fc

yeah... if thats required to be average cookiezi is the only mildly good player
two of them by angelhoney, who is known for giving his maps ridiculous low ODs so they are actually passable for not the very best.
Tshemmp

Aqo wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

The second one (Shining Wizard) is actually OD 8.
Ekaru
What we can do to estimate what "average" is is look at a large sampling of maps with a large amount of plays (500k minimum; over a million is ideal) and look at the amount of completed plays for each difficulty (or individual ranked scores if you aren't lazy). Note that due to people being able to record scores on separate difficulties, you have to look for huge "drop-offs" in the amount of completed plays between difficulty levels (hence why you want a large amount of plays).

With that method you should get around a Normal-Hardish difficulty level. Probably leaning a bit more towards Hard.
Aqo

Tshemmp wrote:

The second one (Shining Wizard) is actually OD 8.
oh right, my bad. thanks for pointing that out.
Topic Starter
Keredna
I never knew this topic would cause such a huge public disturbance. I guess that's what I get for not coming up with a clear guideline in determining what average means.

I personally think average would mean that most players would be able to perform up to that standard.

After looking at the total number of users there are on the right corner of the page, I'm curious how many of them are actually active players.
Just to be safe, I'm estimating that out of the 1,829,993 users, probably 100,000 of them are active players (based on the number of players listed on the most played map gangnam style).

Now the hard part.... between what number of people in that number is considered as average? And at what level of performance are those people performing at? >:/
TheVileOne
I'm probably the example of just slightly below average. The average player at least how I consider it to be is someone capable of beating most normal Insane levels and think things like the stream compilation are ridiculous and don't know why the hell people like to play shit like Renard. If you don't share this opinion you're above average. Eh maybe the average players play Renard nowadays. They probably miss a lot though.
Soaprman
If I had to guess, based on no evidence whatsoever, I'd guess that the average player's skill would have them playing maps in that Hard-Insane grey area. Lots of maps fall in that area, and it's a skill level anyone can get to without a lot of dedication.

The average pro player smokes 81 approved hardmaps every day and doesn't give a fuck.
pielak213
­
MillhioreF
cookiezi, white wolf, niko and rrtyui are the only good players, everyone else is average or below average \:D/
Topic Starter
Keredna

MillhioreF wrote:

cookiezi, white wolf, niko and rrtyui are the only good players, everyone else is average or below average \:D/
This game is just inhumane.
There is only so much that a poor old man like me can handle... :(
zhurai
hmm...so I guess I'm not average D:
then again I haven't really cared much about streaming or practicing it... >_> oh well
Ekaru

zhurai wrote:

then again I haven't really cared much about streaming or practicing it... >_> oh well
Actually, a ton of people on the forums are relatively hardcore and, as such, have a skewed up perception of what average is.

I'd say that you are probably pretty average from a global standpoint. The majority of players just play for fun and don't care that much about becoming good, so they eventually cap out at a Hard-ish skill level. At least, that's what the statistics I mentioned earlier suggest - on maps with a large amount of plays there's often a big gap in the amount of completed plays between Hard and Insane - and it makes sense; there's a natural progression from Easy up to your average Hard, but to do Insanes you pretty much *have* to play a bunch of Insanes because they are their own beast. Since learning how to stream actually takes effort (*gasp* THE HORROR!) a lot of players just stick with what they can already do.

Now, as for what's "average" when it comes to hardcore players... That's obviously a lot higher.
silmarilen

Ekaru wrote:

zhurai wrote:

Actually, a ton of people on the forums are relatively hardcore and, as such, have a skewed up perception of what average is.

I'd say that you are probably pretty average from a global standpoint. The majority of players just play for fun and don't care that much about becoming good, so they eventually cap out at a Hard-ish skill level. At least, that's what the statistics I mentioned earlier suggest - on maps with a large amount of plays there's often a big gap in the amount of completed plays between Hard and Insane - and it makes sense; there's a natural progression from Easy up to your average Hard, but to do Insanes you pretty much *have* to play a bunch of Insanes because they are their own beast. Since learning how to stream actually takes effort (*gasp* THE HORROR!) a lot of players just stick with what they can already do.

Now, as for what's "average" when it comes to hardcore players... That's obviously a lot higher.
best reply in this topic so far
winber1

silmarilen wrote:

MillhioreF wrote:

I'd place my personal opinion on average as around PP rank 5000-20000. That's the skill level where Hards and easier Insanes are good difficulties.
yea thats about the range i would put as average aswell, although 5k is already pretty skillful, so maybe more like 10-20k
and i thot i sucked.

should i rethink my values now
she_old
I still suck
druidxd

Aqo wrote:

Skills that an average osu!standard player is expected to have in 2012:

- Be able to get accuracy above 90% on OD7 on anything that is not a stream map
- Be able to stream up to at least 180bpm for quite a while (at least 20 notes)
- Be able to read up to at least AR9 comfortably
- Be able to aim at CS4 up to at least SV 1.8 per bpm up to 200 with up to at least 1.0 DS on object spacing

Skills for somewhat higher standard average osu!standard player:

- Be able to get accuracy above 95% on OD7 on anything including stream maps (even if it takes retries)
- Be able to stream up to at least 200bpm for quite a while (at least 50 notes)
- Be able to read up to at least AR10 comfortably
- Be able to aim at CS4 up to at least SV 2.5 per bpm up to 240 with up to at least 1.4 DS on object spacing, as well as CS5 on lower speeds than 180bpm

I seriously hate AR10, I can't read it fast enough, maybe 'cause of my low reaction time (200-250ms), maybe cause I really don't play HR that much, idk, but still I managed to get to rank ~800 and get good enough to compete with some friends of mine like Glazbom, Metro, and so on.
Aqo

druidxd wrote:

I seriously hate AR10, I can't read it fast enough, maybe 'cause of my low reaction time (200-250ms), maybe cause I really don't play HR that much, idk, but still I managed to get to rank ~800 and get good enough to compete with some friends of mine like Glazbom, Metro, and so on.
Don't you play DTHD... how can you even have trouble reading AR10 then

sup with all the people having trouble with ARs that's like the easiest aspect of the game compared to everything else
zhurai

Ekaru wrote:

zhurai wrote:

ah

heh.. I can do some insanes, but I feel those are the lower ones

my reading of some of the higher AR's have at least improved though, and I do plan to learn streaming... but focusing on other stuff atm >_< ah well

EDIT: I do want to get good... but >_> eh, kinda focusing on other games atm
druidxd

Aqo wrote:

druidxd wrote:

sup with all the people having trouble with ARs that's like the easiest aspect of the game compared to everything else
I do play DT+HD, or HD if bpm is already really high, and I used to think that I could play AR10 easily, but then someone told me that Airman is not ar10 and then I realised that AR10 maps (like this one: http://osu.ppy.sh/b/168486 (CRN -AR10-)) fuck me over and over.
RaneFire

Aqo wrote:

druidxd wrote:

I think the word comfortably is what's the problem.

People have different views on that, IMO comfortable is to be able to play AR10 with OD7 and get 95%+ acc. But this combination is almost never found in any beatmap, and the ones that are, are very difficult to keep up with... not a good test of comfort. AR10 maps are usually very difficult beatmaps, and turning on HR on a normal beatmap will set OD9 a lot of the time, hurting ones accuracy some more. Not to mention the CS shrink. It is not AR10 itself, but the things that naturally follow it's use.
GoldenWolf

druidxd wrote:

someone told me that Airman is not ar10
? but Airman IS AR10
Tanzklaue

druidxd wrote:

I do play DT+HD, or HD if bpm is already really high, and I used to think that I could play AR10 easily, but then someone told me that Airman is not ar10 and then I realised that AR10 maps (like this one: http://osu.ppy.sh/b/168486 (CRN -AR10-)) fuck me over and over.
airman is AR 10. it's the most well known AR 10 map in the game.
druidxd

GoldenWolf wrote:

druidxd wrote:

someone told me that Airman is not ar10
? but Airman IS AR10

Tanzklaue wrote:

druidxd wrote:

airman is AR 10. it's the most well known AR 10 map in the game.

I don't really know, someone told me that Airman was AR9, then he showed me this map: http://osu.ppy.sh/b/168486 and seriously I can't even read that fast enough to combo almost anything. If Airman is AR10 then what AR does that map has?

I don't really know a lot about AR more than if it's a higher AR notes appear faster, and that map has certainly more AR than airman, for sure.

If someone can clarify it to me, I would apreciate it :)

BTW: I can read Airman comfortably, although the jumps really break my combo.
Aqo
You're confusing reading AR to reading bpm. If you see a 290bpm AR10 map, it's most likely that you're having trouble planning ahead on the speed of objects that come out on 270bpm and not having trouble with the AR.

If you want to know if you can read AR10, just pick a random ranked map that you already FC'd, go into edit, change the AR to 10, see if it's still equally easy to FC for you.

(at the same time, that 290bpm AR10 map you had trouble reading will still be hard for you to read in any lower AR. In fact it will be even harder to read like that)
GoldenWolf
Airman is AR10. This map is also AR10. You can read Airman because AR10 works really well on this and because you played it many times
Aqo

GoldenWolf wrote:

Airman is AR10. This map is also AR10. You can read Airman because AR10 works really well on this and because you played it many times
there is no such thing as "works really well on". He can just read airman since it's only 200bpm and has trouble on that map since it's 290bpm and spits out objects at a much faster pace, which he has trouble to plan ahead on. Once you fall behind and don't plan what to do with some object in time by the moment you need to deal with it that's what gives you the "oh this is too fast" feeling.

Take Atama for example. Reading AR9 won't help you to read the 240bpm patterns, nor would reading AR8 alone help you read the 200bpm jumps on LKs' Flower Dance.
GoldenWolf
Maybe. AR10 never bothered me on Airman while it bothered me on some others maps
Aqo
What's I'm trying to say is that it's not the AR that bothered you, it's the maps' sheer speed.
GoldenWolf
I understood that :p
Lybydose
lol @ people coming up with arbitrary criteria to determine who's average.

Sort the online user list by rank. Scroll about halfway to the bottom. If you're above that, you're probably above average. If you're much higher than that, you are certainly above average. Simple. Technically this would actually be the median, but who cares.
show more